So Where Are All the Old-School F-Chatters? | FerrariChat

So Where Are All the Old-School F-Chatters?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Malfark, Apr 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    And what is all this sub-thread nonsense?? Cheers, MARK

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Yes it's a pity some of the old users left Fchat, eh Mark? ;)
    It would make the main section a bit livelier. It just so happens that most of the activity is in the non-english language sub-sections now.

These sub-sections were needed. Some of the language threads were getting a lot of traffic. I only makes sense to give them their own sub-forum like the Dutch/Belgian section. Let the guys spread their wings a bit.

And before anyone asks about the other language threads, they don't have enough traffic to warrant their own sections yet...

3. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Flames suite on...
    If it were for the trafic only, we could close down the European section as such.
    I said it long ago, the use of different languages would have been the death of the European spirit. I was right. Thanks god there is e mail to discuss with friends.
    Ciao

Eugenio

4. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    @Mark,
    good question but.....anyway ;) B4 Simon gonna kill me I shut up.

@Eugenio,
    well said my friend!
    But all the wonderful memories are still in my heart & soul.

With Love & Respect

Wolfgang

5. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Eugenio things are simply different and have evolved from the old days of euro fchat. Within the european section the individual sub-section especially the dutch/belgian section are thriving.

You can still discuss here with friends, you simply chose not too. I wish you would change your mind.

Hope you are well my friend.

6. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    How could I kill the beast-tamer Wolfgang ;)

There is no reason the main euro section couldn't thrive like the old days if the old respected members chose to join in again.
    Perhaps it would start slowly, but I'm sure it would pick up pace again.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *hand waving*

Hi everyone, we are still here

*locked out of Valeria's house*

Wolfie!

I have found rare old Austin Antone's and Armadillo World HQ posters!

need your adrress to mail, via PM!!

I fooled Valeria though, we are camping tonight and she cannot lock me out of a TENT!!!!

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Hi Simon, Eugenio......

9. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Tex.
    Perhaps I can persuade one or two of the gud 'ol boys to pop back in every now and again.

10. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    You are right, Simon, it was my choice and it still is. :(
    It is difficult to consider interacting with people who prefer to use a language unknown to most for their discussions, cutting the others away. Most interesting subjects seems to take place in specific language sections.
    I'd love to understand what is being discussed there, regrettably I can't. So I chose to give up the European section. I just chime in every now and then and check if anything interesting goes on. Like now :) .
    As stated in my previous post, I saw this coming, and whilst I understand that things are moving, that does necessarily means that they are getting better. There was a vote, I was in the minority and never complained on the new rules. I simply do not feel home here any more. To use Patrik's words, talking about European Community List, "list itself is unnecessary if there is no longer a european munity, but instead a bunch of sharded national groups".
    Euro Section is dead and new forums grew from its ashes.
    Ciao and hope to see you soon.
    With all due respect
    Eugenio

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    People can't complain about the main section not functioning when they are are not willing to join in themselves.
    The language sections reduced traffic to the main section that's true. Each time a section of fchat has be sub-sected its always been the case, but those sections pick up again over time with continued input.

12. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Interesting opinions...I guess the European Union works in the real world but not in the virtual one. People still choose to be with their own. Sure, that extends participation to a wider group of people who do not feel comfortable communicating in a 2nd or 3rd language, but (as Eugenio says) it does eliminate the majority.

Nevertheless, that's progress...and I still have some great F-Chat buddies who have become excellent friends in real life. And you can never take that away from F-Chat. How else would I (as an organisational psychologist based in Prague) ever have had the opportunity to interact with (and get to know) automotive engineers, former fighter pilots, air traffic controllers, vintage guitar experts and medical doctors in different countries? How would I ever have had my car serviced in the Czech Republic (when I had the only 328 in the country) if it wasn't for the wonderful F-Chatters in Germany? And only on F-Chat would I have found like-minded people with similar obsessions who would go to a dealer in Belgium on my behalf to buy gas struts for my car and ship them to me in Prague? And then refuse payment! We'd never even met or spoken on the phone at that stage.

Special times and special people. As Wolfarossa says - in my heart and soul. Luckily the friendships endure... :D

But I must give Simon his due - Forums are only as good as the people who choose to contribute, so the ball is squarely in our (and I mean everybody's) court.

Late - good night! Really good to see you all here again!! :D

MARK

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'm not an organisational psychologist by trade, but, I play one on the internet and at wo - wooooo- wooooorrrrrr - wooooooooorrrr-k. <<<<<[apologies for using that filthy four-letter word]

As for the subject at hand:

In many ways, it's like riding a bicycle;

You do remember that smile you'd get when you'd catch up to somebody... and the one you'd get back...

Memories of days gone by; knock-knockin' on a friend and another's door, popping wheelies and jumping further than Evel Knievel when he was wee. Racing from dawn 'til dusk and the great beyond, out of daylight while breathlessly chasing a dream and just as suddenly and surely as the sun sets every day, and voices of one kind or another called us then as now our separate ways... we did it and can do it again and again, yet never the same through times and jokes, both practical and told, good and bad, kickin' at that yappin' dog every time we zip past that godforsaken house, it's no small wonder the tie that binds is bonkers, but, is not, and I repeat, is not... broken.

You boys best dust yourselves off, hop back up in those bicycle seats, and hang on, 'cause we've all been down bumpier roads. The beauty of being bonkers is you don't need a reason, you just need to pedal faster and catch up with somebody and give 'em a smile that says you're both bonkers.

14. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Howdy Bubba-Buddy,
    e-mail with datas sent my friend.
    Damn, U fooled yourself. This trick doesn`t works in reality, just on bloody TV!
    C`um on my friend, be a man and take it like a man... and don`t cry like a woman.
    I have already told you: you are in the very best years and there are so many beautiful woman all over Texas ( Wolfgang realy knows what he is talking about; have been there many, many times and always went back home with a bright smiling:D)
    And don`t hang around @ home with depressions - the girls do not knock at your door. Go out, have fun and you`ll see it works!

Good Luck

Yours With Love & Respect
    Wolfgang

15. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Since traffic - generated in national containers - is considered more important than a "european community",
    the whole Euro umbrella is less attractive to old-school guys who still remember what 'european' stands for:
    Meaning people coming from all directions & languages to chat a common topic. Gatherings!
    Again, Europe is dead. Sad but true. All a matter of the sharded structure, not caused by the people.
    (note, the remaining possibilities to contibute are drastically truncated)
    No time to waste in this tumbleweed area. ;)

cheers,

cinque

PS: Anyway, will stay in contact with all my Old-School friends here. ;)
    For each kid the day comes to leave and reach out for other playgrounds.

16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    That stuff of the European spirit is great, guys, but not everybody speaks English fluently (I can´t myself).

But, hey, stop whinning and do something to keep people involved in the "Pan European" threads.

17. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    ForzaFerrari waves to all the old-school F-chatters! :) ... do miss the old times, especially the Bonkers-thread,...
    Anyhow; I'll keep it to the good memories of those days and just visit here now and then to read some ;) far too busy with my little girl anyway :D

18. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I have not been avoiding the forum, just conversing with the people who I know via email. Also time is a big factor - I used to work less!! :)

19. URicken

URicken Karting

Mar 24, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main
    Full Name:
    Uwe Ricken
    Hallo all,

it's my first time back here since years. First I saw was the **** with the sub's. But o.k.
    It's fine to see that several good known people are always here.

Hallo Simon, hallo Mark (hedge and malfark) ;-)
    Wolferossa - we will meet next week in Mannheim - har har har.
    I'm wondering what round times you will drive!

Is Ton writing here anymore - two years ago I had the last contact to him?

May I ask what happens with the guy with the crazy green mondial? - Trevi?
    Somtimes I'm dreming from switzerland ;-)

Have a fine day all together.
    I hope to spend a little more time now here.
    Bye, Uwe

20. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Uwe, great to hear from you.
    Not heard anything from Trevi here for a while sadly.

You still got your 328 and the pretty girl who was in it in Andermatt? ;)

21. URicken

URicken Karting

Mar 24, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main
    Full Name:
    Uwe Ricken
    Hallo Simon,

yes - but the last is a warm friendly contact. Three to six times a year we see us or have a phone call.
    She's working in Austria now - Salzburg.

My 328 has been restored inside and is black now!
    You can see the pics from the refurbishment here...
    http://www.carpassion.com/de/forum/604149-post26.html

Unfortunately it's in german but pics will speak their own language ;-).
    I will sent warm regards from you to Beate ;-)

22. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Ciao Uwe.
    Long time no see... Nice to hear that you are still around. I was just checking the Andermatt pictures on Monday and reminded the loudest 328 of the group.
    Hope that something nice can be arranged again.
    Ciao from India
    Eugenio

23. URicken

URicken Karting

Mar 24, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main
    Full Name:
    Uwe Ricken
    Hallo Eugenio
    you are in India - unbelievable.
    Are you there for holiday or for business?

Well - Andermatt was MY highlight. I really hope that a fchat-ralley in Europe will start again.
    I promise to join it because to meet all the "old school F-chatters".
    Maybe a revival in Andermatt.

@Patrick - I promise that I will stay behind you so that you will not have the malodorousness from my exhausts ;-)

To all of you the best wishes and all time a save drive, Uwe

24. URicken

URicken Karting

Mar 24, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main
    Full Name:
    Uwe Ricken
    Hallo Mark,

I agree to all of your comments. You are right and I feel exactly the same.
    It was a pleasure for me to take you from airport FFM to the garage in Grünberg.
    The alcohol in the cupboard reminds me every day to that.

As Eugenio has written - may be a renewal of Andermatt!!!
    Best to you and your family, Uwe

25. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    Ciao.
    After Andermatt, it was the Philippines and now two year in India... Regrettably business :D
    It seems that in my future there is another continent, which one is still unclear.
    Hope to meet you again driving around. By the way, great work you did on your interior. I am having mine one just refurbished as we speak.
    Ciao
    Eugenio