Handbrake won't work | FerrariChat

Handbrake won't work

Discussion in '308/328' started by Franc308, Mar 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc
    I have a 85 QV GTB. Last year I had the rear calipers redone completely.
    After mounting them back, the handbrake just won't work.
    It hardly brakes at all.
    Anyone knows how to solve this? Or do all 308's have this problem?

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Do we assume that you set the gap between the brake pad and the rotor? Also did you adjust the cable so that it pulls the handbrake levers on the calipers when the brake handle is half way up. Who rebuilt the calipers. Did they also rebuild the handbrake portion and are they dry (not leaking). The handbrakes on these cars are fair and should hold the car on a slight grade. Also if you remove the caliper you should be able to move the lever by hand and watch the brake pads move out. If not then there is a problem with the handbrake mechanism in the caliper. My 2 cents

3. russ white

russ white Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Maryville, TN
    I also am frustrated by my inability to achieve reasonable parking brake friction on my US 85 308. I think I have tried most every suggestion on this site. I am able to adjust the clearances and the arm does apply pressure on both calipers. I have adjusted carefully such that when I just first start to engage the hand brake there is drag on both wheels. But when the handle is at its full up position, that drag is just not sufficient to hold the car on a reasonable grade. I feel that if I could just continue the application of the hand brake farther, the result would be a good holding action. In other words, if I could change the amount of cable pull per degree of hand brake action I think the handbrake would work, but I don't know how to do that. By adjusting the turnbuckle too tight, I can get the barkes to hold, but when the handle is released they do no release completely and would heat up the rotors should I drive like that. Maybe I'll figure it out some day. Russ

4. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I have had my 308 since 1999. It has never really worked on an incline. Kind of a pain when I pull out of the driveway and want to get something from the house before I go...I can't just put on the parking brake...I have to turn the car off and keep it in gear.

Oh well, never been that big of an issue to me.

5. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    IIRCC, the rear ebrakes only press the inboard pads against the two calipers. Make sure the outboard pads are adjusted to the same clearance using a feeler gauge (make sure your handle is down). After that, maybe replace the cables as they may be frayed and/or stretching from tension due to old age.

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Absolutely correct - legendary fault - in the uk for the annual test one used to have to effectively lock it on round the corner and loosen it off before driving home

And yes a few people here say they have got theirs to work eventually

7. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    The same system was used by Fiat and Lancia (at least in that era). Brand new and on a good day they barely seemed to do the job.

8. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    Except that Fiat/Lancia used a push/pull sliding calliper which meant it pushed the inner pad on then pulled the calliper across and pulled the outer pad on - also self adjusting - shame they didn't use this type on the Ferrari.

Just rebuilt my GT4 after a seal leak and I can't see how they wouldn't operate as when new really as there's not much to go wrong and mine had little sign of wear, so I guess it's down to clearance adjustment and other components like the cables.

Lee

'77 GT4
    (rebuilt many Fiat rear callipers over the years!)

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My experience, too, was that it worked OKish after a fresh adjustment but often needed readjustment at the caliper (not so much in the cables).

Here's Ric Rainbolt's written description for adjustment (but, with a little experience, you don't really need to get all that fussy with the feeler gauges IMO -- nor can you on a slightly grooved rotor):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Franc308

Franc308 F1 Rookie

Sep 23, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Franc
    Many thx to you all for such great info.
    I am gonna give it another good try with all your advice! ;)
    Many thx again.

11. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Possibly brake fluid leaked and saturated the hand brake shoes and drum while doing the caliper job? Pull your rotors and inspect...very easy to do.

12. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008

now doing my hand brake, drums and shoes ????

13. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IIRC, 328 cars use separate little brake shoes inside the rotor, but the 308 series uses a ratcheting mechanism on the caliper piston. -Steve

14. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    In the state of Virginia the state safety inspection handbook provides the following standard which applies to my 1985 308:

Is that achievable?

15. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Only if you jam an iron bar between the rim spokes & the A-arms. :)

My calipers have been rebuilt & extensively adjusted. The parking break just doesn't hold on any incline.
    Kudos to those who have been able to get it to stay. Not mine though.

16. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    #16 chairpilot, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After rebuilding just my right rear caliper AND cleaning/adjusting that side's ebrake components while I had it apart, mine holds on a 8% grade just fine. Have not tried it on anything steeper yet though. I may try that high-idle/in-gear test too to see how much it actually will hold.
    These pictures are examples of mine showing most of the critical ebrake components that need to be working PERFECTLY for the ebrake to be at all effective. Also, ALL rear disk pad to rotor surface clearances (both sides-both rear rotors) are critial and should be adjusted to specs - IMO.
    Later this Spring I plan to rebuild the remaining three calipers so I know the overall condition of my system personally.

17. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have seen several after-market brake "Upgrades" advertised, do any of those address the hand brake problem? Do the hand brakes on a 328 work better? Are they interchangeable?

18. Ferrari328GT

Ferrari328GT Karting

Jan 6, 2008
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The parking brake on my 328 works well. As for converting a 308, the answer is, practically speaking, no. Too many parts to change over, including the entire rear hub.
    -Steve

19. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683

Having parking brake shoes in the drum portion of the rear brake discs (like on the 328 and many other vehicles) works much, MUCH better than the system which squeezes the normal brake pads against the disc. This is my experience anyway, having had a number of cars with both types of systems.

Can't answer your other questions with certainty but I would guess "no" on both counts.