Fake Ferraris | FerrariChat

Fake Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Adrenln328, Apr 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
  2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Ok, so what exactly is the crime with creating a replica again? I mean you are getting what you paid for (a Toyota wrapped in plastic).
    Unclear as to why Ferrari gets their panties in such a wad when they see fakes.

They could try to claim "brand dillution" but they are doing this themselves.

3. iLikeTelevision

iLikeTelevision Karting

Apr 12, 2008
    Antartica
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting.......thanks for sharing

4. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    Sheesh! Another "OMG Fake Ferrari" post . . . about Pontiac Fiero 308 replicas that have been around since the late 1980s!

For the people who were born yesterday, or any time after the late 1980s, here is the Mera, one of a handful of "better" (not really) Fiero 308 replicas:

http://www.fiero.net/mera/article.html

5. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    Bob Bracey should be hanged!!! :D

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike

Take it easy. The original poster referenced a CNN video segment that was released this morning. It was on the front page of cnn.com all day (and continues to be now).

7. mpaub1386

mpaub1386 Karting

Jul 7, 2007
    Cleveland, TN
    Full Name:
    Matthew Bottoms
    actuall 328 price $130,000.....actuall 328 replica price 30,000?

8. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    #8 Christian.Fr, Apr 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Can I get one of those for a Z?

10. BorisSF

BorisSF Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2007
    Chicago
  11. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    this one looks real.

12. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I was younger I recall a story R&T done about a guy over here in Wisconsin who was so good at car construction he could build a vintage V-12 car from scratch that was so perfect even an expert couldnt tell. I didnt think a lot about it until someone got caught trying to pass one off as the real deal, complete with a phony serial number.

My dream was always to have something like that, but so many have attempted to defraud people with them that its really not funny anymore. The Pontiac Fiero thing was funny for a while, but as that CNN article clearly shows, the bodies have become quite good and very realistic. Seen driving down the road most anyone, even a Ferrari buff is going to spin thier head and call it a Ferrari. And therein lies the deception. Then the tard gets out of the car wearing his fake Armani suit, his fake Gucci shoes, his fake Rolex watch, and puts on his fake Ray Bans.

Those companies have spent considerable sums to create thier products and market them. To create false products that use all thier styling and put a phony tag on them is fraud and cheats the company, while at the same time cheapening the product in the eyes of the populace. The beautiful 328 now has the horrible sound of a V6 GM engine?? There is nothing else to call it but fraud. Its no different than picking up an old Violin and seeing a label inside that says Stadavarius, made in Cremona, and knowing it was made in 1928 in Germany. And its why I would never own or drive a Lexus, they copy MB to heavily, or any Jap bike that mimics a Harley. If a company can make a Fiero look that good, surely they could spend a few bucks and have a new design created that could be just as appealing. Maybe more so. But I have to take the side of Ferrari on this, its just gone to far.

13. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The CNN news is lame, it must be a quiet news day. There is an indignant tone in this report that implies these replica's are new phenomenon.

Of course, there have been Ferrari replicars since the 70's - ( Dino 246 on VW - Kelmark ? comes to mind ) and who can forget the Daytona replica in "Miami Vice" - that was 20 years ago.

And what about the plethora of AC Cobra and GT40 replicas ?

No one is going to buy one of these thinking it's a real Ferrari.( or AC or GT40 ) If they do, they don't deserve a real one anyway.

M

14. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    You know I like the real deal supercars but I can't help but like the whole replicar thing myself. Back then I used to rant on how much replicars sucked and how crappy they where until I got a shot to build on in highschool which was a manta montage(Mclaren) replicar for a buddy of mine and at first I thought it was gonna be boring and full of crap and after I finished it I had alot of fun with the whole project the most fun I had around cars period and afterwards my interest in replicas have taken off from their. People often do replicate these cars for the fun it to not because its gotta go with their "Fake Rolex" or "Fake Ray Bans" and besides they have alot of potential in terms of car customzing. GM V6's are probably some of the best engines out there and with very little money you could easly build one to be much faster than the orginal.

If you call this fraud then what do you say to all those other folks out there with the POS civic that has Lambo doors in them? I say they would be prates then if this is fraud. When you buy a replica you should know what your getting yourself into, if the company was advertising it as the orginal id say yes. But Fraud no. You would have to be a moron to mistake a replica for an orginal let alone expect an old Fiero to be as well engineered as a real ferrari. Iv'e been around both long enough.

I want a Diablo 6.0 VT Roadster and guess what...Lamborghini didn't build em so looks like I have to look into the replicar market to build it myself. I highly doubt Roy Cats has one at his dealership or any other dealer carrys them. Why should I have to spend millions of dollars on engineering my dream car just to say "Oh its orginal"? I can careless what other people think, this is my car, not theirs. Iam building it for me, not them.

15. blockhead

blockhead F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2008
    rock {me} hard place
    Full Name:
    knight who says "ni"
    I love the quote from the Ferrari brand guy,
    "...we may have people... driving around those... uh, let's call them, uh... "cars"..." :)

$130K for a 328, good research there.

16. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul

But your not getting the whole point here. Yes, I understand you like the car you cant afford, but have you taken the time and the depth of thought to consider, for even a moment, the work that was undertaken to create the original? Patents and copyrights fall pretty much under the same umbrella. If I paint a portrait and call it the Mona Lisa, and sign my name on it, it forever belongs to me as do the rights to copy it. If I wrote a great masterpiece of a book, a novel, lets say about a great Whale named Moby Dick, and I sign it, its mine. You cant write a copy and call it yours. Lambo doors on a civic? I dont believe vertically hinged doors have any patent rights and anyone is free to use them. Same for a carburetor, a piston, or a spark plug, knock yourself out.

But if you copy something that is so outrageously someone else's, so much so that anyone in the world could say you copied it, someone is going to sue you. Ferrari spent untold amounts of money with Pinin Farina to design a chassis for them that carried not only the inner workings of thier product, but exuded, through Art and design, a timeless connection to the direct lineage of the Marque. You know a Ferrari when you see one, and any Tifosi worth their salt knew a 308 was a Ferrari the instant they set on eyes on it. Case closed.

Yes, anyone with a brain would know that car on CNN was a fake, but only under closer scrutiny. Driving past on a busy street nobody would know the difference, and to the world at large its a Ferrari. It has recently exceeded $100K for our daughter to go to ahighly accredited college of Art and Design, and shes not done yet. Anyone who feels its okay to steal others work and copy it, are basically taking money out of these people pockets. And whether its for your own private use or not doesnt change that fact. If you want a Ferrari, buy one. There is certainly nobody stopping anyone from creating a design of their own and slapping it on a Fiero. Its not like GM has to worry someone would ever copy one of thier cars.

17. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    If you want a Diablo VT roadster so badly, why can't you buy a VT and have it converted? It's still a Diablo just modified. There's no need to "spend millions of dollars on engineering my dream car".

Or, if you really want to build a car from scratch then design something original yourself and impress people with your skill rather than just stealing someone else's hard work.