Windshield Wiper Motor Repair | FerrariChat

Windshield Wiper Motor Repair

Discussion in '206/246' started by sranderson, Jan 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    Last night, We put power to the electrical system in my Dino "L" to see what would come up.

As it turns out, I need to get my windshield wiper motor repaired. Anyone know of a good shop OR possibly know of a Fiat or Alfa part that will work?

Thanks

Steve

2. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    I see nobody replied to this thread and as i now have a dead wiper motor i would like to repeat the questions. Especially what other cars used this motor Ta

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If you have not used your wipers in some time, then be sure to check the spindle movement as they protrude above the bodywork. This area can get water splashed onto them when washing the car, etc and may cause corrosion which binds the spindle to the shaft and the wiper motor may not be able to overcome this, hence it burns out.
    My Euro Dino was a long time California car and had this problem. When I removed the motor, I found the wiper arms were frozen at the spindles and would not move. I had to disassemble them to find this out then clean and lubricate them.

I bought a new Marelli from Dennis McCann for under $175, but looks like they've gone up, so you might want to rebuild them.

http://www.allferrariparts.com/parts_list.php
    p/n 64357101

PS - the Euro Dino with the "hand clapping" angle of arms is a pain to connect the linkage at the passenger's side.

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Steve and djh - as Scott suggests, there are many things that can result in non-operative windshield wipers. Last in the list is a bad motor.

First, have you had the car apart? Have you worked on the electrical behind the instrument panel or steering column? If so, it is easy to mess up the wiper motor wiring from the steering column switch. If the wiper motor had been removed, it is easy to mess up the wiring upon reinstallation - even though there are terminal connectors.

Need to know more about the symptom. I humbly suggest that Scott's issue of mechanical binding of the wiper shafts is hard to believe. They have brass bushings (hence no corrosion). The motor has enormous torque output. I have seen cables get caught in the eccentric drive mechanism that sits under the cowling. But for the motor to quit owing to binding of the shaft in the bushing is difficult to understand.

Check out electrical connections first. Is the fuse intact? Tell us more about the symptoms and circumstances.

Jim S.

5. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    Thanks for the replies the motor is out of the car and has pretty much melted inside according to the auto electrician i will have the motor back on monday. The mechanic told me somebody had twisted the wires together for some reason for the two speeds.
    I have oiled all the moving parts and once the motor was out everthing moves easily so it wasnt for the lack of lubrication.When i get it The wipers only ever worked on one speed (Slow) when i got the car and as in never go out in the rain i didnt worry to much but when i took it in to get a few things checked we realised they didnt go atall and everything just got hot. So i need a new one or a rebuild either way. I have just been told that the motor is a Dino part only so no alternatives available.I will check out Dennis Mc Cann thanks to see what they have Thanks Guys Any more help gladly recieved

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

While you are there, you may want to open the gear drive mechanism and re-pack it with grease. It is at the end of the motor, a few inches in diameter and the cap is secured to the housing with four screws - remove them and inspect for Italian grease that may have gone hard with a deep yellow-brown color. I like Mobil 1 synthetic, but any modern type grease is superior to 35 yr. old stuff that has turned.

PS - I believe there is a second, similar mechanism on the Passengers's side wiper at the mounting that also needs to be inspected for ancient grease.

7. sranderson

sranderson Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2003
    Full Name:
    SRA
    My Dino sat for 20+ years and partially disassembled some time during that. When I tried to bring up the electrics, I wasn't aware the wiper motor was in the on position. By the time I smelled it, it was excessive hot. I will be pulling the wiper motor out shortly, and doing an assessment.

I appreciate the help.

Steve

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Called into Superformance today and unfortunately the wiper motor for the Fiat Dino does not fit the 246.

It seems the only solution is to get the motors rewound, if thats possible?

Tony

10. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    Thanks for the suggestions so far i have spoken to Superformance and they confirmed that the Fiat motor is not the same.I have tracked a few down now including a brand new one so hopefully one of them will come through.Off to Australia on holiday for a week now so hope i can get one for when i get home.Any more suggestions gladly accepted.

11. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #11 synchro, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

It bound at the angled vertical sides of the tapered shaft below the spindle. Frozen and would not budge without quite a bit of coaxxing.
    Perhaps it wasn't brass as it was a pitted, silver color.

Perhaps mine are missing the brass bushings?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. djh4570

djh4570 Karting

Sep 14, 2006
    NewZealand
    Full Name:
    Danny John Hayes
    Thanks for all the help. I found a guy here in NewZealand who has put me a replacement motor in for me as it turns out apparently this motor was actually used in a Fiat so it came in at a very reasonable price.

13. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    For future reference to all of us...... Which Fiat?

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Isn't the fiat Dino as it goes the other way i beleive

15. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Scott - sorry for not seeing your follow-up replies to this discussion.

Are you certain that the bind was not below the front cowl - under the wiper-blade post? THere is, of course, the gear and lever mechanism that is driven by the motor or cable (on passenger side). Upon restoration of my car, a heating control cable inadvertently got caught in this mechanism and it would bind.

The nylon gear that you illustrate on your other post regarding testing of the electrical integrity reveals a few bad teeth. I suspect that they are bad as a result of the mechanical bind at the post or in the lever mechanism driving the post. I do not believe that the gear-teeth flaws caused the problem.

I did notice another thread starting that addresses interference of the clapping wipers. This is a common problem. I, too, am having difficulty "timing" the blades such that they do not clap together and bind. There are two-degrees of freedom that must be "tuned". First, the position of the wiper blade on the post, and second, the position of the cable driving the passenger side. However, I am finding that "slop" in my passenger post bushing allows several degrees of rotation when the motor is off. Hence, this slop may prevent me from tuning the positions correctly. I may have to have another bushing made.

Jim S.

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I'm guessing the 2400?

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    It could have been something else but when I removed the motor and cam reversal mechanism from the car the wiper spindle and arm were left and they would not rotate in the spindle. I had to tube it heavily with PB Parts Blaster and work it. When I finally was able to I dissassembled it the interior mating surfaces were pitted and rusted.
    That fairly well isolates it ...