Any way to improve mpg? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any way to improve mpg?

Discussion in '308/328' started by bigdreamer, Apr 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My V12 and my V8 Fcars seem pretty cheap to drive compared to my daily driver; a 6,600 pound, 4 door, 8 foot bed, F250 with a V10 gas motor.

2. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    My 1984 Mondial averages about 11 mpg combination city/freeway. Our 1997 Land Cruisers about 14 mpg. Our 24' motor home about 8 mpg. We do not set a good example on fuel economy....

According to the owner's manual, the Mondial should get about 20 mpg in the freeway. I have seen the posts above and I am puzzled as to how they got 20 mpg. Are you sure you guys were driving your Ferraris? Is that all downhill? Does Ferrari offer pedals? How are you guys getting 20 mpg?

If I can get 20 mpg out of the Mondial, I'll have an excuse for driving it a lot more. ;-)

3. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Its always facinated me how the old non-catalyst carbureted engines with the hottest cams get the best mileage. So far ive seen 23 mpg with mine, and the other carb guys around here have seen that as well. I think if thier tuned and jetted right the atomization of the fuel at part throttle is superior. And on those tatty points as well. Ha! Whatever. No, I really dont care so much about mileage when I drive it, but its not so bad when you can have your cake and eat it too. But I do think its utterly rediculous to be feeding catalytic converters massive quantities of fuel. Wrong way to solve the problem in my opinion.

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    you might want to see if the mixture is off on the car maybe...the air and gas mixture maybe off, you should go to someone that understnads how to do this though.... maybe fuel filter...maybe you need to check your air filter, tire pressure.....there are a few things you can do. I know i hit the pedal hard on mine, but if i didnt redline i know i have been up to the same at about 18-20 mpg on my 76 carb 308 for standard driving hwyécity

5. KKRace

KKRace Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Rockville/Olney MD
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just keep your foot out of it! It's a matter of self discipline, kinda like just eating one Dorito.

6. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    I get lots of pleasure per gallon...no need to worry. It's not a daily driver ;)

7. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    If you take a longer trip you may want to fill the tank, see how many miles she goes and then you take that much more gas money.

Only reason I can think of ;)

8. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Have you considered a diesel conversion?

9. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Someone on Fchat tech forum said:

"That said, I did an impromptu test of various gasolines (3 consecutive fills and regular record keeping) and grades over the years on my 308 and found about 1mpg more for hi-test. So I stick with regular (87 octane) just under 1mpg more for using Hess as opposed to Exxon, Getty, Citgo, Mobile, generics so I try & use Hess"

I was dumb enough to try 89 octane in my 308....does NOT like it ;)

10. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Do an electric conversion, w/2 motors! Just think of the torque!

11. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Drop in a 3.5 liter Honda V6. 240hp and you'll be averaging 25mpg in no time! ;-)

12. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    Peter,I put my car in the shop last thursday,for a new water pump,fluid change and then I said what the hell,lets go for the major,its been since 2004 for the last one (or 12k miles ago)when I get it back by saturday then I'll fill it and I'll give a better mpg,see with new belts and inpestion on the motor I'll fell better on that long road away from home .......lol,hows yours coming?

13. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    did you ask them to check your fuel canisters ? Did you ask them to change the fuel filter and air filter ? or was that the same and stayed in, this maybe the best overall result.

14. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    yes Rick,I'll be getting all new filters + fuel,all fluids changed,and compression and leak down will be done,and he's checking all hose's,rebuilding the calipers in the rear with new pads,I was told I'll need to get new rotors by years end,so I'll be looking for some deals if anyone knows of any one,please let me know at $400 a pop each I'll be doing some looking;)

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    sounds like you got all the bases covered. I picked up a few extra miles per when they checked my fuel to air mixture in my tr...believe it or not, it actually revved smoother up the chain...but i also did the rotors and caps with wires and plugs, so it didnt hurt ....

16. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    I don't worry about mileage, when the car needs gas, I put it in. I have noticed that on the highway doing a steady 85 -90 MPH I will burn about 1/4 tank of gas in an hour, so the math says thats about 17-19 MPG. I keep my tire pressures correct and clean the air filter once a year ( I have a K&N filter), but I do that stuff just as a matter of maintenance and not just for the best mileage.

17. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    You have her sit on one, I doubt that any state will put a bunny on it for you.

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Q: How to get more time between tankfills. A: Do what lots of owners have done . . .don't drive 'em. Substantiated by the number of low mileage cars ;). Reaslly, if you have to ask you can't afford it adage goes here.

19. Rblcar

Rblcar Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Craig R.
    Driving my 328 back to San Diego from Salt Lake City one long evening I calculated an honest 27mpg 80 mph avg thru several fill ups. Since then on shorter trips with much more stop and go it has never been over 12 mpg. I think the engines are very efficient at steady rpm cruising. Fluctuating rpm kills mpg. Not that I care, I just can't help but calculate. I was amazed at how effecient it was on that trip though.

20. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    what ever you do just don,t put low grade Gas in the car like one of the Jokers did on this sit and complained later the car wont run so good but he saved $5.00 when the red light comes on just put more in and enjoy.

21. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Premium=$3.70/ Regular=$3.50
    Average fill is 12 to 15 gallons
    Average tank last 1 month (220 miles devided by 15MPG = 14Gallons)
    14 Gallons X $0.20 = $2.80 savings
    Annual savings 12 month savings = $33.60

Driving a ferrari Priceless