ASR light during acceleration | FerrariChat

ASR light during acceleration

Discussion in '360/430' started by fredf355, Apr 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fredf355

fredf355 Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    Have a new-to-me 2000 Modena stick with 12k miles and new tires.

Periodically, under heavy acceleration when shifting from 1st to second I get 1) a yellow ASR light in the temperature/trip odometer box plus 2) a significant bogging or lay down in engine power.

After it occurs, even with a feathering of the throttle, this bog continues/takes some time (1/2 to 1 second) to recover.

My questions are: is the ASR this intrusive, does something need adjusting, or am I doing something wrong by just mashing the throttle.

Thanks...F

PS I just love mashing it in this car!

2. Taffy

Taffy Karting

Mar 30, 2007
    Cardiff UK
    Full Name:
    Chris T
    I also have this problem ....I feel that the ASR is very intrusive and does sometimes hamper progress if you are too throttle happy when not in sport mode.

3. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Select Sport mode for less ASR intrusion, or turn off ASR.

4. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    +1

5. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Be very careful when you turn it off. I'd try it on off on a straight road, dry, with plenty of run off room. I've seen people who aren't truly proficient with these cars, spin them off the road when they spun in a straight line. After you've tried this, and there weren't any dire results, then maybe, you can try this for regular usage. I remember my 355 which was quick, and didn't have any electronic safety devices, and getting it sideways more than once, sometimes on damp roads. Always brought somesort of comment from the passengers.

Art

6. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    +1 on the sport mode. i found the ASR overly sensitve on my manual shift 360. i leave sport mode on all the time.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    All of the answers regarding sport mode are correct but I would say "Yes, mashing the throttle is probably doing something wrong." If you have ASR off and mash the throttle, you will loose the car. Maybe not the first time but you will loose it. Controlling a slide is about controlling the throttle, brakes, and steering.

8. FQ340

FQ340 Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    ahmet
    I love threads concerning 2000 modenas, yey :)

Activate sport mode, gun it carefully on places with lots of run offs for first few times, than you get used to it for small tail slides, but never gun it asr off without trying on dry empty road, or you may clip lots of cars with the tail..
    Even after you get used to it you might be surprised when the tail goes wide on 3rd gear pedal to metal action, so be cautious.

IMO sport mode is perfect for fast uninterrupted cruises and small adrenaline rushes, but asr, unless u are very used to it, even if you are good at counter steering, might get you in trouble or make you loose time on a track because of unnecessary and uncontrolled wheelspin.
    They say its the same story even with Scuderia, "race" is better/faster than traction/asr (scud equivalent!) off.

Thats my .2c

cheers..

ps: noticed the "hsss" sound from the left back side of the car when you accelerate, like the exhaust is leeking?

9. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    +1

With my year 2000 360, I couldn't understand why... when I needed the acceleration the most, the car would bog down and put me more in harm's way. Turns out the car's electronics were keeping me from going sideways.

I became very proficient at switching ASR on/off when I wanted a little wheel spin or tail-out action, but defaulted (like the car) to having it enabled most of the time.

Frank

10. ferrarilou

ferrarilou Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    US
    Full Name:
    Lou Menditto
    Check that the tires on the car are the correct OEM size (specifically the diameter). If that is OK, then next time you have the car at the dealer ask him to check for any errors involving the wheel speed sensors.

Lou

11. fredf355

fredf355 Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    Tanks for the spot on advice.

Sport button does the trick.

Will test the ASR when I find some good wide open space.

The 360's power is really amazing! And I thought I just bought it for the sound.

Thanks...F

12. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    On a track, the ASR in my CS comes on often in Race mode (equivalent to Sport mode in 360). The power is still limited for a second or two when the car is already out of the turn and going straight, so time seems to be lost.

13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    What is your tread depth?

14. Marko@SupercarTuning

Jun 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Marko Djurich
    Whoever can't drive their Ferrari through oversteer and understeer or drive it sideways under tire spinning acceleration maybe shouldn't own one. These cars are highly temperamental sports cars which require a decent amount of driver skill. They don't hold up well in accidents either. Be careful when you turn your ASR off if you're not capable of counter steering during oversteer (fishtailing).

15. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    Are you thinking there is not enough traction? The tires are new.

16. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    #16 Ingpr, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys!

I was racing with my friends with their Porsches and every time a push the gas the ASR and two more lights came up and a few minutes later they are gone. It happened to me also on the high way and the radar star to read "high voltage". I was reading the threads. But my tires are new and I don’t think the wheel were spinning. Any recommendations?

PD.
    Here are some pictures from the trip. Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Far from an expert but my first thoughts would be:
    1) were you in sport mode?
    2) wheels are tires are not stock and could be causing problems

18. Ingpr

Ingpr F1 Rookie

Jun 30, 2009
    PR
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, the car was in sport mode.
    I'm runing the car with the wheels for five months and never happened before. But it make a lot of sense.

19. F355F1 Berlinetta

Mar 13, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    REV
    Thanx for all good info

20. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I used to have lower profile tires all around, my asr was very twitch.
    The computer compare the speed between the front and rear wheels constantly, it retards the throttle if the rear wheel is spinning faster than the front. Use a tire size calculator to figure out the non stock tire size and how they affects the speed of the wheels.

21. F355F1 Berlinetta

Mar 13, 2010
    Norway
    Full Name:
    REV
    Yes the sensors are very sensible, it was after I raised the pressure in my tires, but put It in sport and the problem is gone