My new 430 spider soft top issues | FerrariChat

My new 430 spider soft top issues

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, May 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    automatically it only closes 99% needs a small helpng hand, guess I need to go back to my dealer, anybody else had this.

also notice that in second gear at very slow speeds, the transmission rattles a little, my CS does not do this though

2. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The top just needs to get stretched and this will occur through continued use, I'm told by dealer.

3. motisingh

motisingh Rookie

Apr 11, 2008

That's amazing! I got my car today and had the same two problems!!

Yeah it does seem to need a small helping hand or just stop for a bit and then push it down.

It hates second gear! But I was told by the dealer that this stops after a while.

4. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    I have had my 2007 spider since May 2007 and I drove it until Sept. I drive it everyday and I put the top up and down every day. After over 100 up and down cycles, I still have to help the top at the end. I am 350 miles from the F dealer, so I have not taken it back to check on the top issue. I don't think it is a "stretching the top" issue.
    Al

5. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    Got my car Saturday and I'm having the same problem.

6. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    On the top, my dealer (FMOSF) told me that they need to be 'stretched' out a bit. I have been helping mine for a couple of months, and the 'helping'
    is still needed. No problem. however, since i almost never close the top anyway. Even at less than 50 degrees F, I just roll up the windows, wear
    a windbreaker, and turn on the heater. I love my spider!
    Mike

7. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    Every single time i put the top up, i have to help it close the last 3 inches.
    Eric

8. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

Not unusual. A little pull on the top and it closes just fine. Usually this occurs when the top has been in the down position for a few hours. New top will require stretching but if this continues you can get the top adjusted by the dealer.

You sure its the transmission and not the engine because of the low speed and gearing?

9. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I was told by the dealer to keep the top up when parked in the garage to keep it streched out. Most of the time I have to help it the last inch to get the hook down but just now I took it out for a short run and it latched by itself.

10. motisingh

motisingh Rookie

Apr 11, 2008
    I just realised my window on the driver's side doesn't go all the way up (leaves a gap)....I only got it this morning. Think I need to take it to the dealership tmoro. Even now with window all the way done a bit sticks out. hmmmm

11. 360zub

360zub Karting

Apr 1, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Zubin
    I have an 07 430 that stops half way, when the canvas folds on top of your head and the cover is vertical. I have to reset the system by turning the ignition key off and on a few times before it works. Sometimes I need to help it close as well. I noticed that the gap on the hinged area just above your head in smaller on the driver side than the passenger side, maybe that has something to do with it.

12. lapeter

lapeter Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2002
    SunValley ID&Kapalua
    Full Name:
    Al LaPeter
    That ain't right. Time to go to the dealer.

13. RonnieF430Spider

RonnieF430Spider Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Ronnie C
    Picked up my new 07 spider December 28. It's my daily driver and has over 6k miles on it. I put the top up and down almost daily and it works perfectly without any help.

14. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Ok so I am not alone here, txs guys for the feedback

15. garybryan

garybryan Karting

Nov 6, 2006
    Denver
    my 360 did the same thing. it was a micro switch problem. i just cleaned it, the one on the driver side on top.

16. superyota

superyota Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Newport Beach
    I have had 2 430 spiders and both need a little help at the end..normal.

17. 360zub

360zub Karting

Apr 1, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Zubin
    I will check it out.

18. Donie

Donie Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Spain/Ireland
    It is not advisable to leave the top down for lengthy periods. That starts the permanent crease marks in the fabric.

19. spider1001

spider1001 Rookie

Jun 30, 2006
    california
    Full Name:
    N.J
    My top also needed a helping hand to latch & close. Yesterday while closing the top, something fell off the top onto passenger door. I immediately stop the closing, found a screw and washer by passenger seat, looked around the top and sure enough there was a screw missing from the top at the pivot point where it folds. After I put the screw back in and tighten it, the top operates flawlessly every time.
    You might want to check and make sure the screws holding the arms on both side are not loose. (Start opening the top, stop when the first section folds back, look from outside at pivot point)

20. 07F430Spider

07F430Spider Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    +1... Had the exact same problem, it was even off track and scratched my paint. Ferrari fixed it and it's now flawless.

21. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    My new 430 has the same problem. I have to help the final inch. No problems otherwise with the top.

My right window does not go all the way down. It's sticks up about 1/4" when down.

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    must say since my last post everything has been fine

23. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I just noticed yesterday that my right window was doing the same thing. I guess I will try and get the dealer to fix it.

24. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    My dad had a CLK Convertible that did that, the dealer told him to hold the window switch in the down position for ten seconds, apparently this will reset the sensors. You may want to give this a try before taking the car in.

25. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy