Polish Air Show Mid-air | FerrariChat

Polish Air Show Mid-air

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by ylshih, May 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #1 ylshih, May 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Usually you see a lo-res video.

YouTube - Air show crash

But someone had their hi-res, hi frame-rate camera on the spot at this event. Amazing detail of this unfortunate occurrence.

Ironically, the "Ride of the Valkyries" is playing as music at the time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey, I saw his spleen.

Whoa!

3. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Grossly inappropriate comment on 2 people dying frame by frame tragically. Immature *********, and Yin should ban you for it.

4. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    My comment went to the clarity of the images.

As for "inappropriate:" whatever, your opinion matters naught.

5. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    trying to understand what happened, but from what i can figure did two planes crash perpendicular into each other?

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Yes. The number two plane took it in the side and the number 3 plane was lucky to keep in the air without collecting serious debris.

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    OK. Can I watch clear photos of your family get nuked and comment about their spleen? Fact-you are inappropriate in face of a tragedy. Opinion-you're an idiot.

8. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    agreed, that was &*$#&*(ed up saying that. You could have stated that it was a very clear video much more tastefully +1 on the ban

9. TcpSec

TcpSec Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2004
    LA, USA
    Full Name:
    Zeno S Paradox
    +1000

It is amazing how people don't have even slight bit of decency these days. This guy is a lawyer...figures..

10. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I am sorry but is in it not MORE indecent to post the pictures up in the first place? Who in there right mind would post that, better yet post it raving about the quality of the footage!!! and not expect that kind of comment?

Which of any of you are aeronautical engineers that could learn something from a sec by sec view of a crash? Or all you all just gawkers at these snuff pictures like I am?

11. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    While I do agree it does draw our attention (it happens anywhere from when you see and accident on the side of the road etc. I dont know many people who would see a crash on the side of the road and say "Hey i see his spleen!" most of us would say "oh god I hope everyone is ok" or "that is horrible" but to take humor out of this rather horrible incident is very indecent. The quality of the video i think was just a comment not a "rave" it was "this is horrible and it was odd that its high res on youtube" that is it. I agree that you could say "there was a crash at a air show and here is the link" but still the indecency of the spleen comment by far outweighs it in indecency. I have been part of F-chat for a while and that comment stirred my blood and im usually very neutral in things.

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Banned Mr. V for 7 days.

Reason to show user: YOUR opinion matters naught for a week. Telling a Doctor's DOCTOR that? Get a clue, gain some empathy and show a little sympathy.

13. cessnav8or

cessnav8or Formula 3

May 28, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Just got done sending these pictures to my friend that is an aeronautical engineer and an accident investigator for the NTSB. She might have already seen them but I wanted to get her input on them. As a pilot I find it some what interesting and educational (the accident not the deaths) if nothing else to learn from their mistakes. Not that I would be attempting the aerobatics they were doing. :eek:

14. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    And that, I DO agree with.

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    The sight of something like this is sad and horrifying (I've witnessed similar incidents live) but it is reality and I'm glad it wasn't censored.

The spleen comment was inappropriate and shouldn't have been put in writing.

16. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What is that supposed to mean?

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I believe it was a comment directed at the crass personalities seen in some attorneys. It really doesn't matter to me, any profession can have its' share of insensitive louts. This instance happened to be an attorney.
    Group aerobatics are amazing, but most observers don't realize the minimal margins available. Sad end for a couple skilled pilots.

18. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I apologize if anyone was offended by the posting of these pictures.

Normally these things get shown on TV as very noisy clips that are over in 0.1 seconds. Perhaps the poor quality and briefness of the image helps to isolate viewers from the tragedy, even as they are drawn to watch it as helpless spectators powerless to do little more than empathize with the passing of courageous people.

In this case, what caught my attention was:

- the pics of the planes prior to collision showed the orientation and the trajectories in enough detail that you could speculate on how little out of line the one or two planes were and how much that meant to the failure of the maneuver. As an instrument-rated pilot who has considered taking aerobatic training, I found that informative.

- the pics of how complete the destruction of one plane was, combined with the video on youtube (which was apparently unlinked) gave a surprisingly short timebase for that destruction to happen. As an engineer, albeit not aeronautical, I again found that of interest.

- the video on youtube, also showed that the "Ride of the Valkyries" was playing at the time of this unfortunate event. For those unfamiliar with this bit of mythology and music, the Valkyries ride to bring fallen warriors to Valhalla. As a human, I found this ironic and sadly appropriate to mark the passing of these courageous pilots, enough so that I would have posted to make a point of that alone.

19. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    ...a little full-of-ourselves aren't we?

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i am a aeronautical engineer (Design) and i cant think of any reason to look at these pics again.

:(

how sad. RIP.

21. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    ...sad, sure for the families perhaps...horrifying - how? These are stunts - stunts are stunts. Society since the beginning of time has paid and gawked at man attempting to defy death. These individuals did not succeed and in no way does horrifying correctly characterize the event.

These pictures do not depict death they deduce physics.

I fail to see where the posters comment warranted a banning. Police officers deal w/ horrifying scenes and you can bet they joke to keep their sanity - and I ain't a cop. I welcome thoughts inappropriate and appropriate and I'll do my own filtering. Let us not create a sterile envirornment.

my little rant...

22. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Very sad for all involved, the pilots, their families, and the spectators at the air show on September 1, 2007.

In searching the web, it is believed the two pilots were Lech Marchelewski, 62 years old, with nearly 5000 hours in air and the second pilot was Piotr Banachowicz, 24 years old, with about 500 hours. It was supposed to be the last flight of the stunt group leader Lech Marchelewski.

They were doing a vertical loop involving 3 airplanes. The 3 planes went straight up together in formation, then each airplane split off in a backward loop in 3 different directions. The 3 planes crossed at the bottom of the loop at high speed and 2 of the 3 planes collided. Here is a link to a spectator's video of the air show accident as seen from the ground (not as gruesome as the still pictures, but obviously showing the two planes colliding at the bottom of the loop). http://wideo.gazeta.pl/wideo/0,0,4453984.html

A real tragedy. RIP.

23. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Watching people die, individually or en masse, is horrifying. Inability to help is horrifying, merely standing there/watching here.

Stunts v accidents. Big difference. This could happen when you cross an intersection tomorrow, your child darts into street. Would it merely be sad then? Just physics of a 3500# car crushing a 10# skull on a 40# child?? Idiotic, insensitive, or narcissistic.

I deal with horrifying things every day. Many do. We DON'T post them on boards, nor say around families, and anymore, other caregivers lest you be "written up". You can think them, rarely. Maintaining one's sanity is best done by doing your job, cleaning up, or preventing these events.

"Filtering" has nothing to do with inappropriate comments. Several members of this forum have died, pictures of their accidents have been posted, and greeted with sadness, horror, and respect. Your post demonstrates none of these. Maybe your filter is clogged.

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Sfumato,

This is public domain stuff. It's not a private discussion between a doctor and the deceased's family (where, I agree, it's not time for cracking any jokes). However, lots of people use "black" humor. Lighten up.

If your delicate senses are offended, don't look at the pictures. Simple.

And, I'm surprised by V's banning. Are we now so politically correct that we can't joke around? At all? There are thousands of users here. If just one complains, does that mean a ban is in order? File it in the "You can't please all the people all of the time" folder.

CW

25. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others....