The Flawless GT-R Has a Fault? | FerrariChat

The Flawless GT-R Has a Fault?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by monaroCountry, May 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. monaroCountry

monaroCountry Karting

Dec 23, 2007
    The Flawless GT-R Has a Fault?
    April 28th, 2008

[​IMG]

Word is getting around the traps that the transmission in the famously destructive R35 GT-R may be wearing out faster than expected. MCR, one of the lucky Japanese tuning houses to have a GT-R, have reported that initial inspections are showing unexpected signs of wear in the transmission; raising fears that the GT-R is not as flawless as we’d all hoped.

Perhaps if it were a more expensive car, the gearbox would be less likely to shoot out random cogs and cut your leg off at the knee. Not that it’s going to do that.

[​IMG]

MCR’s inspection has lead them to conclude that the transmission’s lifespan—at least if used as heavily as they do—may be no longer than 12 months if the engine’s power is tweaked. Of course, with the V-Spec model on the way, we may soon see a stronger gearbox available.

2. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    So we have GT-R transmission failure?.............. or are we talking about possible future transmission failure with possible increase in torque reported by a third part tuner who probably wants you to buy aftermarket clutch parts?

3. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    +1 lol

4. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    I would still get the GTR,
    you shld drive one, its GOD!!!

ehehee

5. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian

No need to be concerned about that unless you sit in the trunk.

6. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Go out and buy a Murcielago E-gear. That thing blows up under normal driving. I don't know if the clutch on an Enzo lasts all that long either, but most people don't drive them enough to find out :)

But it wouldn't surprise me with the new GTR. . . the car begs to be beat on, and that's what everyone is doing with it :D

7. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    The thing that worries me is the fact the car JUST came out and they have tranny issues already. Maybe the car gods made the trannies fail so we don't have to see the ugly things on the road? :)

8. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    12 months? Sounds like it's got a 6 month lead on the Subaru gearboxes.