Any personal reviews of the New M3? | FerrariChat

Any personal reviews of the New M3?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by GTHill, May 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I justed watched a Speed channel feature on this car. Having owned a few previous M3's I'm really drawn to it. Any input is appreciated!

Gene

2. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think it is ugly... To many hard creases and then soft round forms make it look confused. Another Bangle bungle in my view. All the cars since his reign have gone down the toilet, I would buy an Audi before I bought ANYTHING new from BMW!

YMMV!
    James
    Austin, TX
    PS. Have a nice day.

3. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    nah.. i dont think its anything to rave about
    the E30,E36 and E46 looks better imho

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The new M3 is too heavy and fat...BMW needs to go back to it's I-6 roots and leave the V8s and V10s to Chevy and Lambo

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Guess we're still waiting for some firsthand experience...

I personally think its ugly a hell but still interested in hearing from someone as to how it drives.

6. laxn23

laxn23 Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Road and Track just did a review on the 4 door M3 vs RS4, lexus ISF, and some AMG. The M3 came in second but the article is found on r&t homepage.

7. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Mine will be born next week.... Should be here in about 4 weeks. At first, I thought my E46 M3 was much better looking but when you see the two cars side by side it makes my 05 look about 10 years old. I ordered the new Dual clutch transmission (i have an smg now). The initial reviews on the car were tough but the mags seem to be really embracing the car now. check out m3post.com for some real owner reviews. I will report back in june and let you know what i think. anybody want to buy an 05 M3 (cpo'd, extended maintenance, new tires, competition package--every option but nav.) just needs a new home!

8. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If your old SMG car is also an M3 and since it looks so old and yucky now that the new one is out, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands and park it in my garage! ;)

Look forward to hearing your review on the new M3 when it arrives!

James
    Austin, TX

9. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I had a chance to sit in, listen to, and look at one at the BMW dealer on Wall Street. I thought it looked and sounded much better in the flesh than in the photos and videos I have seen of it. However, there is no getting around the fact it is a big car! I'm sure it's a lot of fun on the highway, but it wouldn't be my first choice for back road driving based on the view from the driver seat.

10. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    Huge let down. I had the previous E46 M3 (Yellow/Yellow) and now drive the RS4. The ///M now stands for ///Marketing. The focused homologation special has turned into a car for distracted housewifes with cell phones and old f*rts who still think they are cool. The steering is dead and vague if you want to be able to slightly improve it... you need some sort of tech package. The clutch is huyndai light, the shifter rubbery. The seats are worse then the Sport Pack seats. Too high and Lexus soft and squishy. If you want the adaptive suspension... you have to pay extra, the steel suspension being not sporty enough. The engine is pretty nice... but in the quest of making the car palatable to soccer Moms, power delivery is too flat. There is no sense of explosive acceleration. The hp/liter ration has stalled since the mid 90's. The sound is a lot less distinctive then the E46... which sounded like nothing else out there. The interior looks exactly like a 3 series with the Euro MPack... that is not special at all. Exterior... they took every single styling cue from the E46... but uglified it. The huge priapic pimple on the hood, sagging front spoiler, messy rear with a visible rusting exhaust box, side gills like a handle from a 1950s fridge.

Now... I would still consider it in the US, since BMW has essentially priced it's cars at dumping rates. The cheapest Euro M3s are 2 times the prices (around 105-110 USD). I would honestley get the C63 instead. Much more rare, the power you can actually use. Looks mean.

So... get the GTR or try the competition. This time around EVERYBODY has cought up to the M3, unlike the E46 version which was in a class of it's own. The new M3 is still a fine car to drive... if much dulled compared to the older ones... it's just that there is now so much choice.

11. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    More Firsthand Experience:

I was not expecting much, considering how many people ragged on the car before they had driven it. "ugly, heavy, etc".

My only complaints: It needs PCCB, and more torque.

That being said, the car stops phenomenally well for a "heavy" 2 door coupe with steel brakes. I flogged the thing on the track for a day and a half, and the brakes never gave up, and barely faded at all.
    Also, while I complain about the lack of torque, I really shouldn't be, because the thing has gobs of power up to 8k RPM, so why whine about a lack of torque under 4k rpm???

I got this car right after having an S5 for a couple months....so there was an interesting comparison. Obviously, the S5 does not even come close in power, but after driving the S5 on the road, the M3 definitely felt....raw. If that's the right word. I would much rather order a base M3 with very few creature comforts and use the thing for track events than get one loaded up and drive it every day. Kind of like the GT3. The M3 just is not as user-friendly and comfortable as some if its counterparts. However, BMW does still make the best-handling car in the world, and the M3 WILL and DOES outhandle its competition.....and the car really comes alive when pushed to the limits. It is just such a joyous car to drive at 9/10ths, and it does not feel as heavy as it weighs....it carries it well.

One last note....I don't think comparing it to the GT-R, just because they both sort of have a $70k price tag, is fair. The GT-R was a purpose-built 997 Turbo killer, and good luck getting one for $70k anyway. It really, in "value", is a $100k car. It would be like comparing the M3 to the Z06, just because they have similar pricing.

I have not driven the C63 or IS-F yet, but I don't really want to, as they have automatic, torque-converter transmissions, and I can't respect a slushbox. As far as the RS4 goes, it may to some people be a better car, but when pushed, the RS4 definitely feels like a heavy, AWD, front-loaded Audi, and loves to understeer. (PS....all of the reviews showing the m3 smoking tires wildly and drifting out of control are quite contrived....because of the the low-torque motor, it really is tough to just throw it out....the car LOVES to grip through corners. The car is not getting a fair shake).

It really comes down to what you want to use it for. Everyday luxury cruiser with some extreme go-fast? Get the RS4 or C63. Twisty-road/track monster that you can drive every day and still have some comfort? Get the M3.

12. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Thanks a lot for the review. Unfortunately, it would be the M3 or the 328, not both. I really don't want to sell the 328 so it will be something I'll probably look at in the future. Thanks!

Gene

13. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff

If you think that the new M3 is a track monster... maybe you need to quit playing GT5. No offence. For one a track car needs brakes that last more then 2 laps.

In fact the C63 is said to have an even MORE extreme suspension set up and the RS4 can be had with front Carbon Ceramic brakes. Hockenheim track times for C63 and m3 are identical.

98% of M3 owners never take their car to the track and if you are serious about tracking you will never get an M3 in the first place.

14. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I havent owned either new or old M3, but have had extended drives in both and had both on track at Laguna Seca.

I have to say, I like the previous generation M3 ALOT better.

The new M3 is softer and didnt feel as powerful.

The old M3 felt like a trackday car. Taught, purposeful and it was very precise on the track.

15. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Compared to its competition. In the $65k range, I would much rather have an M3 than a Viper, Z06, RS4, C63, IS-F, etc., as far as ability to push the car to 10/10ths. The only reason the Z06 doesn't top that is because the M3 is much more manageable....500hp is darn scary in that car. Also, compared to other steel brake cars I have driven on track, the brakes did just fine. Exceptionally well, actually. Yes, ceramics would be better, but so would $10k in my pocket.

The only reason the C63 is beating the M3 is because it has a buttload more HP. On a tight track the M3 will beat it, and I guarantee with 50 extra hp the M3 would destroy the C63. The RS4 is fun, but pushes like there is no tomorrow....the weight balance is typical Audi, and the C63 still comes with an automatic (not even sequential manual) gearbox.

16. arnaget

arnaget Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I see the blue m3 coupe sitting in the dealership on Wall St everyday. Not sure if it's a reflection of the current state of the Wall St economy or an indication of the general demand for the car, but it's been there for almost 2 months by now. the black M5 and the gray M6 convertible were both gone within that timeframe.

I have a feeling it could partly be due to how this particular M3 was optioned.. pretty bare-bones, except for the optional wheels.

17. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff

Same here. I drove the older M3 on track and it was much more fun.

18. RussianM3_dude

RussianM3_dude F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 15, 2004
    Switzerland/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Nikolai Petroff
    If you want to push the car to 10/10ths, RS4 is your car. Easiest to drive fast. If you want a daily driver sports car... get the Cayman S. Much better then the M in every way and would actually be an ok track car.

19. 95Aero

95Aero Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    Stamford
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Why bother.......Just get a 335........get a tune and some good coilovers and tires. The twin-turbo set up has a lot more usable power on the street and if you want to track it you can build it to your likeing for just that.

I sat in the new M3 and liked the 135 better for the what its worth. The back seat on 3 series coupe is almost useless and the 1-series is just as big up front anyway.

20. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I've never owned an M3, but I am a huge fan and admirer.

The 08 M3 was not executed properly IMO>

Does it really need a big V8 ?

What happened to the touring car/wide body look ?

18" Wheels?...what happened to the 19"s, what about 20" 's ??

The "stick on" rocker panels/spoilers are ugly.

For some reasong, the 335I with the 19" wheels looks so much meaner than the M3.

21. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I just realized something: The replies would have been the same if I had written the following titles:

What do you think of the new E36 M3? Better or worse than the E30?

What do you think of the new E46 M3?

I do find it disturbing that every year they get heavier and just adds power to compensate. You want a machine? New M3 drive train in the E36. Now that would be fun.

Gene

22. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Very true.......for some reason BMW has adopted American technology!

23. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Maybe strategically they started increasing the size of the m3 on purpose to make room for a m version of the 1-series. Although i don't agree with making the m3 larger and heavier...it does make sense from this perspective.

24. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    I love my E36 :D It's brutally raw compared to my father's E46. Granted, the coilovers add in that raw feeling but even the driving characteristics feel much more race-bred than the E46; which in comparison feels far more refined and toned down.