saltwater tanks | FerrariChat

saltwater tanks

Discussion in 'Florida' started by elpadrino, May 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    I've been looking for a non-automotive hobby and I've always loved animals and used to have "exotic" pets like poison dart frogs, an array of geckos, ect.. So

I think its time for a saltwater tank now- So who else has one? any places I should check out for supplies/fish ?

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I had a few saltwater tanks for about three years until recently. I gave them away / sold them because I was just not as interested. I don't know of any shops in Miami, but there is supposed to be a huge place around Lauderdale somewhere. I would recommend at least buying a few initial supplies at a place local to you so they know who you are when you need something in an emergency. I had a pretty nice 72 gallon bow front setup. I would recommend getting the largest tank for the space / budget that you have as they are more stable than the nanocube tanks. The nanocubes look really nice and are a complete setup, but when something dies or the water gets out of whack, things go bad quickly.
    :)
    BT

3. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Aquariumart. The number is 305-667-1075.
    These guys are excellent. Ask for Ricky Ruiz,
    the owner. Tell him Sindo from the homeshow
    gave you the number. I've seeen the work they do,
    beautiful.

4. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    I had definitely planned on AT LEAST a 55gallon - the smaller tanks, like you said, are just too easy to readjust and need far more attention and monitoring than the larger ones.

5. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Look for one used! They are a crazy amount of money when new, and when people want to sell them they are willing to give them away..............

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #6 BT, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    True what Fred says. I had about $4-5k in the 72 gallon tank I just sold. I sold it to a friend for $500, including everything. Crappy cell phone pic of the setup.
    BT
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    If you are looking for a custom tank call Gerry @ seavisions in Weston. He built my tank when he first opened and it looks as good today as it did when it was installed.
    http://www.seavisions.com/
    954-385-2899

8. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    Bill i know that tank setup ! i looked at that a few months back when i first started looking into my own setup- it has the true clear glass to it instead of the greenish tint if im correct. Oceanic i believe was the manufacture ( i could be wrong im going off of memory from months back now)- great looking setup !

9. kerns577

kerns577 Karting

Oct 21, 2007
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Sean Kerns
    I have a 60 gallon acrylic with a maple stand, and canopy. The stand and canopy =600.00
    twin 175 watt halides Lighting kit =450.00
    quad 96 watt power compacts included
    a 1/5 horse chiller cooling unit for the tank= 790.00
    sump and skimmer =250.00

This tank has been shut down in my living room, since I fired up a 175 gallon reef tank 3 years ago.
    considering selling the 175 as well, but that has significantly more money dumped into it. Makes the Ferrari practical.

Email me if you're interested in photos

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think you are correct. It is true curved glass instead of acrylic. I stayed away from acrylic because I was afraid it would scratch and get hazy. I really enjoyed my tank when I had it, but for me it was time to move on.
    It is a fun hobby. I had one fish (hawkfish IIRC) that seemed to be bullying everyone else in the tank early on. He was always stealing the shrimp from the brain coral. Finally I saw the remains of a emerald mythrax crab floating and decided that was enough! I trapped the hawkfish using some shrimp as bait in a net, and then post execution, fed him to the brain coral! the next day I saw the mythrax crab crawling around and realized he had just molted his shell. Justice (or lack thereof) is swift in the tank!!!
    :D
    BT

11. John G

John G Karting
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2008
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    If this is a serious interest of yours, dont look at anything smaller then 180 gallons.

Reason?

Small changes to parameters in the water, even as an experienced reef hobbyist and could could crash your tank.

The larger the volume, the more "forgiving" the small mistakes can be.

The ***** is in the initial expense, but hey, this is south florida. you will want a genset, a chiller, and the biggest skimmer you can afford.

If you go small, all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable.

Lastly, reef keeping is worse then taking care of kids...its more expensive and very frustrating...

dont forget about 10% water changes...and zephyrhills has excellent DI water...my buddy has 100 gallons delivered a month.

try marinedepot.com and ffexpress.com for good online sources...some of the miami vendors are good, some buy poor specimens...

lastly, the reefs are the last of the natures beauties...you should buy acqua cultured or farm-raised reef and coral specimens wherever you can.

my .02 cents.

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Conversely, I did not find the reef / fish setup too time consuming or finicky. I just fed a cube of frozen food 5 days a week, and added some plankton about once per week. Top off the water with fresh R/O and it was stable for the last year and a half. the only time I did water changes was after the hurricanes when everything died from no light / filtration. I bought smaller coral frags online for $15-45 each and they grew nicely within about 6 months or so. Once I got the tank stabilized after the hurricane, I populated it with fish and coral, and then added no new fish for fear of ick or other disease.
    The old saying of "If it aint broke, don't fix it" really applies in my experience. YMMV.
    :)
    BT

13. elpadrino

elpadrino Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2005
    Bogota NJ
    Full Name:
    Gabriel
    All very good advice so far,

one thing I've learned in having "exotic" pets is to always get farm raised or captive bred specimens- they are usually healthier and maintain a more stable diet along with the big plus the lack of unknown or foreign diseases.

I would like to stay away from the acrylic tanks because of the possibility of it hazing and becoming scratched very easily. (I know if can be buffed out and im sure with my history of working on paint it would be much of the same process ) but im sure you would have to empty the tank and clear the glass and then re-establish equilibrium again. If i had to do it more than once i think i would be annoyed.