Ferrari airplane transportaion info,needed | FerrariChat

Ferrari airplane transportaion info,needed

Discussion in '360/430' started by q8fly, May 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. q8fly

q8fly Karting

Jun 29, 2007
    kuwait
    Well i'm planning on shipping my f430 to lebanon this summer.i was wondering if i send it on a plane,when it arrives there & i reconnect the battery switch in the hood,shall i have to take it to the dealer for reprogramming of the transmission? or any other major reprogramming or will it still have the setting i got right now.thanks alot because this worries me.i want to enjoy the car the way it is because i dont want to be messing with the cars setting there & get other defaults or so.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    After you fly a car it will need to be checked out. The computer will likely have faults. The dealer in Bahrain is a friend and has very competent service.

Tell him the guy with P 4/5 sent you. I'd pick up the car, switch on the battery, fully charge it, start the car and don't touch anything until the car has warmed up fully. Drive it carefully to a dealer and have the computer checked. Also make sure the car has anti freeze before flying it.

3. q8fly

q8fly Karting

Jun 29, 2007
    kuwait
    thanks. i guess it takes max a week to get it there.about the anti freeze well i'd dont think its an issuse.its the reprogramming im worried about,i dont know how good the ferrari dealership service in lebanon is.you know i dont want the transmission setting to be slow engaging the clutch.it makes it feel to heavy when driving plus im sure it'll burn the clutch quicker.

4. georgeshayek

georgeshayek Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2007
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Full Name:
    Georges G. Hayek
    You are most welcome visiting my country. You WILL have fun among many Scuds out there ;)
    Concerning maintaining your car, I can transfer and give you all our local dealer' contacts.
    I'll make sure they take care of it the way it should.
    Tell me if I can be of any help.

Cheers!

5. ringmeister

ringmeister Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2005
    NJ
    The anti-freeze is for the flight. It gets mighty cold at 35,000 feet.

6. q8fly

q8fly Karting

Jun 29, 2007
    kuwait
    Thanks & please ferrari dealership or service center in lebanon is needed if you will.i love lebanon alot & i got a house in the mountains.even if the coolant in the car freezes when its out of the plane for a while im sure it'll be fine.thanks for the help guys.its only the reprogramming im worried about plus ofcourse the transportation,i dont want to see any scratches

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If the coolant in your car freezes in the plane besides destroying your engine it will leak into the plane and they will charge about 100k or more to clean it up. I'd make sure it's good to -30 F. I'd also check the wiper fluid for anti freeze.

8. q8fly

q8fly Karting

Jun 29, 2007
    kuwait
    are you guys serious about the fluids in the car? i'll have to check then with the dealership on how the cars they receive on the plane & how they get them ready to be sent on planes.i know guys that sent lambo's & ferrari's to london & i never heard about problems with the car fluids.i know the fuel tank has to be close to empty & the battery disconnect thats about it,no? george may u send the ferrari info in lebanon,like #'s web site

9. onlyreal

onlyreal Karting

Jun 2, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    oguz goker
    just remove all the fluid in the car, anything including oils vs. And before starting wait several hours , and add all of them back and done.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Serious. Make sure it has antifreeze and washer fluid antifreeze. It likely has enough from factory but make sure.

Drain most fuel/shut off battery and you're good to go.

11. Cool1g

Cool1g Karting

Aug 7, 2006
    Hollyweird, CA

i know in the Gumball 3000 rallye nowadays they sometimes fly the cars from one place to another...and i'm pretty sure they do not remove the fluids. maybe the cargo bay is heated on those planes? i can't imagine they would risk that kind of damage to a large # of 6-figure value cars.

12. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art

The cargo bays are pressurized, and usually heated. However, they have been know to get a little cold. I dont think it's necessary to make sure that the car can handle -30, but it isn't a bad idea. Normal fluids are close to that though. At 35k, the outside temperature is about -65 C, which is very, very cold, colder than -30F, I believe. I'd follow Jim's advice, he's done more this than I, and I'm sure he has a story or two to tell....

Art

13. q8fly

q8fly Karting

Jun 29, 2007
    kuwait
    Guys i wish i never wrote this thread.your making me think & worry alot about it.i can ship it on a truck but its not worth it because it'll for sure get dents plus the clutch will get burnt.burnt because when it leaves kuwait into the saudi border they have to take it out of the truck,check it out,then drive it back on to the truck.they wont be driving it on right plus warm it enough.then the same into jordon & syria then finally to lebanon.plus its not worth driving because it'll be too hot & the roads arent that good(over 4 borders too)i drove 20 hrs from orlando to boston in 98 that was different because the weather was good plus no borders to stop at.i did that trip none stop & alone too.but with here its such a different situation plus where will i have my bags & stuff.i'll just have to ask the dealership in kuwait about how they do it.i know a guy that got a ferrari modena in 2002 from italy & they just disconnected the battery & low fuel.plus a 575 & a lambo to london with the same steps thats all.i'll just have to wish for the best & just go ahead with that & ask the airlines for what their rules are.thanks again for making it even more stressful 4 me :p just kidding guys.thanks for the help 4 sure

14. georgeshayek

georgeshayek Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2007
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Full Name:
    Georges G. Hayek
    PM'ed you...

15. q8fly

q8fly Karting

Jun 29, 2007
    kuwait
    thanks for the info george.dont they have a web site.well IM worried seeing the new about lebanon :( hope all goes well there,its a shame