Hi Dad I totaled your Ferrari | FerrariChat

Hi Dad I totaled your Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by pflowers, May 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    Ouch...poor CS

2. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Good thing the kid is alright. Im sure hes going feel enough guilt without having to be punished for him to suffer.
    It's only a car.

3. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Oh no. :( Glad the drivers okay.

4. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Kids+Ferrari=No Good Idea

Glad he's all right, sad the car isn't.

5. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Its interesting that when you lose control of a car you always manage to hit the one pole or tree even if you're in the middle of nowhere.

6. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    couldn't have said it any better, there's always (well, almost always) insurance to cover the material things, but a person...

7. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Without even reading the link, I can say that he is not the first, and won't be the last, kid to wreck their dad's Ferrari when he is not around. I am thinking it is not a good idea to own a F-car with a son between the ages of 13-21 at home. ;)

8. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    Oh no, another Ferrari crash.

9. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    ouch indeed. I know how the guy feels (though not from crashing a car) I recently had a mishap that really let my old man down and while he's still with me (as opposed to telling me to **** off) I think he and this guys dad could have a nice chat about the two of us.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That's why collector-car insurance policies usually prohibit anyone with fewer than 10 years solo driving experience from driving the insured machine.

11. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #12 PAP 348, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    interesting. that's one of the problems i can see with crashing a vehicle like this on a highly used public road, seeing a chevy or ford in an accident is one thing, but a ferrari becomes a spectacle when it happens, and the insurer will probably find out and know exactly what happened.

13. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

There was also talk about the CS not being insured for this young fella. :):)

Daddy will be paying out of his back pocket apparently. :eek::eek:

A local Aussie Ferrari expert reckons around an AU$80K fix at a panelshop or around AU$200K at the local Ferrari Dealer. :):)

14. rollsorferrari?

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    after reading this, one word comes to mind for the owner: ouch!

15. Pirate75

Pirate75 Karting

Feb 19, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    JT
    I feel for this kid. When I was younger, I totalled my dad's new 94 Viper RT. Before I called the cops or even realized if I was hurt or not, I called him. Told him I was sorry. And the first thing he said to me was forget about the car, are you ok! Funny thing was, it wasn't my fault. A guy ran a red light...

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Good to hear mate. :):)

17. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, the car still has some value. Even wrecked exotics like that could sell for $100k+ somehow...

18. G.Simpson

G.Simpson Karting

Mar 31, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary Simpson
    When I was about 17, I wrecked my Dad's car. Fell asleep on the way home. Hit a tree. I got a few stitches, my buddy broke his nose, Car was totalled. I called my Dad from the hospital. Did not go well at all. I think the damage to our relationship was permanently damaged.

Last year my son (16 at the time) and his buddy were out on my quad. They were on their way to do some trail riding and were going through some ditches and at every approach there is a culvert. This culvert, about 20 inch diameter, was covered by grass and they did not see it. They hit square on the end with the bush bar on the front of the quad. They of course came to a complete stop. My son went over the bars, buddy stayed on the quad. No broken bones, no injury other than a sore wrist for a week.
    When I got to him I gave him a bear hug like never before, told him I was glad he was OK. We brought the quad to my shop. I said to him that when you wreck someone elses stuff you gotta fix it. We stripped it down together. Identified all the broken parts and went to the Polaris dealer and ordered all the parts and a shop manual. I bought all the parts (the actual broken/bent parts were only about $150) as well some other maintenance items, belt, cv boots, brakes, oil, oil filter, air filter etc.
    When all the parts arrived I gave him free reign on all the tools and equipment I have to repair the machine. He not only had to repair the damge but completely service the machine as well, and by the book. This was done at my shop in plain view of all my employees and he was subject to some good natured ribbing for being a dork. I gave him a hand when he needed it. It took him three Saturdays to get it done. The quad is back to 100% and he now braggs to his friends how can handle impact wrenches, air ratchets and other tools. He seems to take care of his own stuff a little more than before and definetly respects other people's property more.
    I think it ended up good in the end.

We are planning to take a couple of days to do a little flyfishing together this june in the foothills of Alberta.

19. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Sounds like your dad could take a few parenting lessons from you.
    Funny how it sounds like you learned something from your father's "negative" reaction.

So what kind of car did you bash up that he was never quite able to forgive you over?

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am glad they survived....... a pair of teens in California barely made it out of the subdivision before they lost control and died.....

Life is too short, I hope Dad remembers that..

I tore up a few cars too...they helped me into one of my own ASAP! :D

21. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    Around 1981, I received a tip from a friend to checK out a "$5,500 250GTE, with door damage".

Got to the house (Pasadena/La Canada, CA), and see a Verde Pino (?) GTE, beautiful tan leather, nice driver condition...with the driver's door heavily damaged, and almost torn off.

What I was told was that the owner's high school-aged daughter decided to cruise dad's GTE. Due to her short stature, she tried to back out of the garage by opening the driver's door and looking backwards (like in a Lambo, kinda). Foot slipped off the clutch, car jerked backwards, and door was pulled around, almost touching the front fender. The hinges pulled out a lot of door jamb metal with them.

I was pretty young myself, and decided that there was too much A-pillar and door damage to make it feasable for me. Don't know what happenned to the car afterwards- probubaly a donar to a "GTO" project...

22. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Don't know the circumstances of this crash, but those kids are darn lucky. I don't think it makes much sense to let a young kid drive a car like this. The temtation is just too great for them to see what it can and can't do. That's one reason why insurance rates are so high for young drivers. Can't paint all of them with one brush, but until you get a machine that lets you see what they are thinking, discresion is the best course, if you want to keep your kid.

Art

23. G.Simpson

G.Simpson Karting

Mar 31, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gary Simpson
    The car I wrote off was a 73 AMC Javelin SST. Silver, black interior, Nice car in it's day.

24. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Glad he is ok....For me I would not give the keys to my son unless he is mature enough and knows how to drive without getting stupid behind the wheel.