360 - Fluid Replace v. Oil Change | FerrariChat

360 - Fluid Replace v. Oil Change

Discussion in '360/430' started by kenny1022, May 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Hey guys:

I couldn't find info on this from previous posts. Can someone tell me when I would need a complete fluid replace versus an oil change? Regarding other maintenance, here's what I came up with for the 360 Modena:

Oil change - 5K miles
    Timing Belts - 3yrs or 15K miles
    Major - Every 6 yrs or 30K miles

Comments welcome. Thanks.

K.

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Isn't it SOP to change "all the other fluids" (i.e. not just the oil) when they do the belts?

3. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Engine Oil/Filter = At least every 12 months
    Brake and Clutch Fluid = At least every 12 months
    Gearbox and Differential = At least every 2 years
    Timing Belt Service = 3 yrs. or 30K miles or whichever occurs first

4. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    +1

5. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Ok - so assuming i drive my f-car less than 5K miles a year, a complete fluid replacement once a year should take care of all my needs (EXCLUDING the belts and major service)>...

6. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Yep, that would do it! A little over kill, but that would cover it pretty well. FOW charges $800 for a full fluid service.

Robert

7. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Parts and labor charges will typically vary from dealer to dealer. The following are current, average parts/labor charges obtained from three authorized dealers.

Engine Oil/Flter = 300.00
    Brake/Clutch = 600.00
    Complete Fluid Change/Annual Service = 1,500 - 2,100
    *Engine Oil/Filter
    *Brake/Clutch
    *Gear Box/Differential
    *Power Steering
    *Coolant
    *Chassis Service/Re-torque Suspension

8. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    if it's overkill, what would you suggest - would 18 months suffice instead of 12? thx.

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Kenny,

I would suggest sticking with the regular service intervals since you are driving the car 5k a year. I would also go the extra mile and have the gear box filter screen cleaned at the same time you do the gear box fluid. Many people fail to have this checked or cleaned and this will kill the transmission in a hurry. A 360 owner here locally didn't want to pay the extra for the service, 6 months later time for a new gear box!!! They have to remove the rear bumper to perform the service and this adds extra cost. Mine was done when I purchased the car from the original owner and it had never been cleaned!! There was silicone gel from the factory still around the screen, it was pretty dirty!
    PCH, covered it pretty good, here is the FNA break down.

1yr / 5k

Oil & Fluid
    Brake Fluid
    SD2 report
    Preventive lube care
    I-A (inspect and adjust) $928=Service Total

2yr / 10k

Oil & Fluid
    GBX
    Brake Fluid
    Coolant
    P.S. Fluid
    Pollen filters
    Air Filter
    SD2 report
    Preventive lube care
    I-A $1,826.90 = Service Total

According to the FNA guidelines the GBX and differential screen should be removed and inspected on the 2yr/10k job.

I should post the sheets if I can ever figure out how to get them on the computer!!!! LOL!!

Robert

10. kenny1022

kenny1022 Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2008
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Rob - As always, I appreciate the help. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!!

11. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    is it best to change fluids before putting away for winter or after taking out for spring?

12. numisrx

numisrx Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2007
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    If driving over 5k/year, are 5k oil changes acceptable? Someone told me 3k.

13. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Best to change fluids before any long period of storage, if that is what you mean by winter. Moisture has a habit of collecting in lines and corriding. Some very good threads on storage, do a quick search. Hope this helps.

Robert

14. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    5k miles seems a bit too much, unless you drive your car really easy. I would do 2.5-3k depending on how hard you drive. This is in regards to oil

15. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hi guys, I have tried the search function but maybe I have missed something.
    I bought my 2002 360F1 with 7200 miles last late October, right before delivery the dealer done a full fluid change. Today the car is 9889 miles. What kind of service should I be aware of at this time? Should I at least get an oil change? The car is running great, the only problem I have is the break is shaking in high speed. Anyone know a good place to go near New York City? I always go up to Greenwich to Miller Motors but it's getting a little far for me just to drop off the car.
    Thanks in advance.
    Ken

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ken,

I typed in "service intervals 360" in the search function and came up with a bunch of hits, here is one. You should change the oil once a year, with more agressive driving twice or more often, depending on track days and so on.

Hope this helps!

Robert

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is the brake vibration only at high speed/high pedal pressure? Depending on condition you may have caught an early wear or warping issue but I would not delay in tending to this. Although difficult to analyze from behind a keyboard, suggest you get it looked at soon.

18. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken

Thanks Robert, I typed oil change, very little came up, only talkinb about the types of oil people use. BTW, what kind of oil do you use on your car?
    Ken

19. hotcello

hotcello Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The issue started when I have this high pitch noise at the begining of the year on a slow stop for the red light, now the steering wheel vibrates when I step on the brake on apx. 80 mph. When changing rotors do they always change in a pair?

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

I use the Shell Helix oil.

Robert

21. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    While I don't own a 360, in most cars if you catch it soon enough then you don't need to replace the rotors when these vibrations happen. It is standard procedure that rotors can be "turned" (aka turned on a lathe) to correct the run out aberrations and when fitted with new pads they will be returned them to original parallel surfaces.

Your technician will guide you in your options, but safety should be the #1 concern.

Yes, IF rotors need to be changed, then they should be changed in pairs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To the optimist, the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.