Strategies for replacing the long heater hose | FerrariChat

Strategies for replacing the long heater hose

Discussion in '308/328' started by GeoMetry, May 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I have the wheel well liner removed from the front drivers side and the gas tank is also out. I can pull the hose back and forth pretty easily. I attached the new hose to the old with a section of copper pipe and some hose clamps but I could not pull the hose clamps through the tight section just where the hose emerges behind the gas tank. Seems to me that if I could firmly attach the ends of the hoses together I could pull it through. Does anyone have a simple fool proof way to accomplish this task?

I have searched quite a bit and found a few threads that touch on the subject.

The longest hose
    308gt/4 long heater hose
    77 308 Heater Hoses Replacement.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Gas tank removal is recommended, as is drilling out some of the rivets holding the metal clamps around the hoses.

3. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Isn't there an access panel behind the drivers seat? This where it gets stuck...If I remember right. It runs along with the brake booster hose.

4. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    If the hose clamps are the only thing keeping you from pulling the hose through then you could actually glue the hoses onto the pipe. Then pull it through and cut the pipe off the new hose. Just make sure you have some extra hose to cut off.

Aaron

5. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #5 GeoMetry, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is what I did.

At the front of the car
    Removed the wheel well liner
    Positioned the hose so I could pull it straight out from the passage

At the back of the car
    Removed the gas tank (Perhaps not necessary but it was out already. You would at least need to move it.)
    Disconnected the hose from the engine.
    Pulled the hose out from behind the the brace it was tucked in behind to get it as straight as possible
    Worked the hose back and forth a couple times without letting either end enter the passage
    Sewed the two hoses together. First I drilled 4 holes in each hose. Then I used some insulated wire as thread.
    I tested this with some scrap hose to see how strong it was so that I would know how hard I could pull.
    Then I pushed/guided the hose in from the back while my son pulled gently from the front.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    excellent writeup! I was wondering how the hell I was gonna get that section of hose out also.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    That photo speaks volumes. Thanks for posting it.

8. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    I just remember not getting anywhere until I enlisted that second person for a push-pull operation. And the second person should be of age or wear ear protection.

9. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Once I had done everything else, the push pull part was actually quick and easy, I think it took about 15 seconds.

10. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Is it possible to hard line it? Room? I never liked the idea of all that hose.

11. rcsteyer

rcsteyer Rookie

Jun 12, 2006
    San Mateo, Ca
    Full Name:
    Randy Steyer
    We just pulled two hoses through on a 1978 308 GTS. We taped a heavy wire to each hose and they pulled right through. It works best having one person feeding the hose and one person pulling. Feed it from back to front

12. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Also, try some electrician's wire pulling lube, for pulling wire through conduit. Helps things slide through.

13. F&M racing

F&M racing Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    JimF
    Is it a pretty straight shot through the rocker? My front valance is off and fuel tanks are coming out, plus I'm going to replace the belly pan. I'm going to try and hard line those hoses and not worry bought them again. That's the way Ferrari should have done it, not a mile of hose. We'll see how it goes!!

14. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    why is it necessary to obtain hot water for the heaters all the way back at the engine block?
    could this hose be eliminated and tapped off the side of the return or supply hoses at the rad?
    in looking at the piping schematic it appears this hose is unnecessary.
    just my thoughts...

15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    That would work, but you won't get any hot water until the engine has warmed up fully and the thermostat has opened to shunt water to the front of the car. In the winter it could be a while before you heat up. Also there _might_ be issues with water flow through the heater cores. Water will only flow significantly through the heater cores if they offer less resistance than the radiator. If the radiator is freer flowing then water won't circulate through the heater cores and you will be cold. There might be a big pressure advantage coming off the side of the head, giving greater flow and more heat transfer-ability to the cores.

When my long hose blew I just capped off the hoses at the engine and radiator for the rest of the year. Nobody drives these cars in the cold of winter anyway, right?

16. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    thanks brian, i suspected a pressure drop issue might be the reason. proportional valving might deal with it
    but what a hassle and no space. may as well change the hose, although like you i'll probably eliminate if
    that day arrives.

17. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I just eliminated it to drive it for a while. I replaced the hose eventually. It's one of those things that you put off and then the whole car winds up with a laundry list of what is broken!