best wax for grigio silverstone? | FerrariChat

best wax for grigio silverstone?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by grigiomike, May 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. grigiomike

grigiomike Rookie

May 2, 2008
    manhattan beach ca.
    Full Name:
    mike w
    What is the best wash and wax products for this color? I keep the car covered and drive it a couple hundred miles a month here in sunny So Cal. I am planning on waxing it each time I wash it using microfiber products. Any problem doing this once a month?

2. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    No problem at all waxing once a month. Pinnacle Souverän and P21S are great waxes. Usually you have to buy these online. If you want something over the counter, Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Wax is good and only about 15 bucks.

3. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I've used a number of different products over the years. I just recently started using Griot's Garage's Carnuba Wax in the handy stick form (looks like deoderant.) It is by far the easiest-on, easiest off, best shining/glow of any wax product. (I liked the shine of Griot's Best of Show Wax, but it was a pain to remove.) Protection is great.

I've been quite impressed with Carnuba Wax on both my Blu Medio 328 GTS, as well as my QuickSilver Metallic Corvette. It even made my old gray Dodge glow.

4. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    This type of topic gets as heated as how often to change your timing belts or what's the best exhaust.

To some up: carnuba usually looks better on dark colored cars as they add depth and polymers look best on silver and white as they add reflections.

No matter what you do to silver it's never gonna have the glow of red or black so just use what works best for you. Klasse or Zaino or Finish first are what i like on light colors.

I love that color BTW.

5. AP2TUDE

AP2TUDE Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Edwards
    Pretty much what Jason said, Pinnacle Souveran and P21S 100% are IMO the best two reasonably priced carnubas.

If you are planning on doing it every time that you wash the car, you might want to look into Zaino. I know that Zaino has a layering effect that not only increases the protection that it offers, but also the shine with each consecutive application. If Todd chimes in he has a few pictures of the effect of many layers of Zaino on a silver 360. It is very impressive.

6. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Interestingly, I found that the Carnuba from Griot's actually looks very nice on the silver. I've seen Zaino, and for the cost etc... I don't think their products are any better than Meguiar's. Corvette guys are Zaino freaks, but I've never thought the products were worth the money given the results are exactly the same as other products.

Quite honestly, if you make sure that your car is clean (meaning washed with a quality wash product from Mothers, Meguair's, Griot's, then clay-bar treated to get off the sap and items that feel like bumps on the surface (again, I happen to like Griot's because it is the most for the money) then any good wax will protect and look good.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Most European car dealerships carry P21S, simply call around (about $35 to $37, I have personally seen it at Jag/Range Rover dealers, BMW, and Porsche too). Or, you can buy the motorcycle equivalent, S100 (exact same product and packaging) at Harley Davidson shops for anywhere from $15 to $21 (seems there is some price creep since HD dealers figured out it is the same as the more expensive P21S).

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Just use detailing products such as Final Detail. I doubt your car gets really dirty, probably just dusty. I can't understand why anyone would wax their car every month!?!?

9. Todd Helme

Todd Helme Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Dust is enough to put microscopic scratches into the paint if not washed away.

Also, the reason to wax your car every month is because wax protects the paint by providing a sacrifical barrier between the paint's surface and everything else. Also most waxes have oils that deepen the paint and improve the look of the paint slightly.

10. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I recently tried the Meguire's #26 Hi Tech glaze on a Rossa Corsa car, and it looks great in my opinion. I had previously been using the Zaino products, but decided to trty a wax for a change. It is worth a try, and easily bought at the local auto parts stores.
    :)
    BT

11. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    #26 is a GREAT wax and one of my favorites (I also like the smell better then Zymol Cleaner/Wax Bill :p ). For a little extra "pop" on a single stage paint, try applying Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze first, then topping with #26. The look is very wet and deep.

12. tzip

tzip Rookie

Mar 24, 2008
    Vila Real e Porto
    Full Name:
    Telmo Santos
    nice topic

13. F430Rod

F430Rod Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2007
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Rod
    I think what he is saying is that after a normal monthly wash or even sooner....all the car would need is a quick spray wax detail if the car is in the garage a good portion of the time. It would only need a wax job probably every 6 months or so.

14. Todd Helme

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd Helme
    Adding a spray wax will "boost" the current protection and increase the durability of the wax underneath it. Given how "most" Ferrari's are enjoyed sparringly, the durabilty of the wax will definately be greater. Enviorment and conditions are the most important factors in the durablity of the wax. A wax on a black car that sits outside in the Florida sun will go some many heat cycles (carnauba wax becomes unstable at about 170 degrees and melts at 180 degrees) that the durability will be very short, maybe not even 3 weeks.

However, I have seen strong water beading on an F40 at 13 months on a car that was waxed and garage kept. I have also seen the same wax struggle to make it past the 3 week barrier on my wifes car which sits outside.

My recommendation would be to apply a booster product after every wash (in general its better to dry a car using a quick detailer or booster anyways to provide lubrication) and re wax at least every three months to be safe.

15. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Exactly

16. darkalley

darkalley Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    P21S- it looks great and does not stain the black trim. it goes on and off so easy with a good microfiber towel. try it and you will never look back...