Mondial Engine bay clean-up | FerrariChat

Mondial Engine bay clean-up

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Jan 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #1 snj5, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Well when I do an engine detail I don't use anything except lots of little brushes, and lots of elbow grease. Plus lots of towels....a few for the blood that you will get off your hands from getting into all the little crevices and having them cut to high hell, and then a few more for all the gunk you will get from your engine. A good thing to have (that I like to use) is a pestiside(sp?) sprayer and a lot of towels. Use the sprayer to spray each area that you work with instead of just spraying water all over from a water hose. As you spray the sprayer clean with the rag and brushes. Just keep doing that until its all done. Lots of work but comes out great. To dress all the hoses and everything else I like to use either 303 or 1Z cockpit premium. Have fun!

3. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Looks great Russ. When will it be ready for the road? I know you're going to tell me I told you so but I have to say it again.....I really miss my Mondial. The 348 is a blast but there is just something about a Mondial. These Mondials get in your blood and stay there. Keep us posted with lots of pics.

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    looks like a good start !! Lets see what it looks as you go along, love the pics mate !

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Cool - where do you get this??

6. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Go to Danase.com There are other places to get it from but you'll get fast shipping and great customer service from Bob at Danase.

7. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris

Geez Russ, that is super clean.

I tried doing that to mine, but i gave up and went on vacation instead.:D

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #8 snj5, Apr 19, 2008
  9. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    I'm sure a dumb question that's been answered over and over, but is it ok to steam clean the engine of a 308 qv? I don't think detail shops do it any other way do they?

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Yes, the engine can be steam cleaned - but the 2 times I have done it you really REALLY need to be careful of the electrics and cover them up or protect them someway.

11. bjhunt1975

bjhunt1975 Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2006
    ICT
    Full Name:
    B.J.
    thanks russ

12. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Looking perfect Russ, how about the engine pics before it goes in .

I wouldnt expect anything less than perfection from Norwood, so its no surprise that it looks as good as it does.

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #13 snj5, Apr 20, 2008
  14. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Aguri Russ....looking fantastic !!

Again, i wouldnt expect anything less than perfection from them. Im sure you will be smiling for many years to come.

Make sure you frame your bill ;)

15. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Great job Russ, Now that looks like a Ferrari engine.

Charles

16. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Simply stunning looking engine, can't wait to see it in place, makes mine look decidedly er, well dirty! Great work.

17. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Same here Jeff, I would be far too embarassed to post a pic of mine now:)

18. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Thanks guys.

The one thing I still would like to do is emulate some of Pete's fantastic weight loss and still have a comfortable and practical street car. It's already lost some weight with the loss of the FI and other things I have removed. As crazy as it sounds, I was just talking to James about removing the trunk, replacing the rear seats and some interior upholstery with something lighter - kind of a Mondial Club Sport. Well, may be a bit much...for now should refine; discretion and all that you know. This whole thing actually started out as a way just to increase reliability.

But, it would be better all round if I cut back on dinner and dessert...

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    looking good!

my only complaint is after you're done it'll be 20miles and BAM! dirty and dusty, a bottom pan would help but I'm not sure that the engine compartment vents enough to do it. I went thru and did the same thing a few yrs back and it looked great for all of 2 days. I try and keep up on it but I've given up now as I drive mine 60miles a day, 5 days a week.

20. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Oh MAN! Oh MAN! What an AWESOME looking engine resto-mod! That's BEAUTIFULLLLLLLL!

21. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    #21 racespecferrari, May 13, 2008
    Thanks for the compliment:). I suppose what I am doing is easy, anyone can strip a car out. But what you are doing is superb (and too expensive for my budget at the mo).

Out of interest on the weight loss side, I removed the heat shield that sits above the silncer/backbox and it weighed 4.3kgs (9.46lbs). Now with modern technology I can use a piece of Aluminised glass cloth mat which only weighs about 300g and is heat proof suitable for up to 550C & reflects 90% of radiant heat. So thats a 4kg loss on a simple item.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
  23. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #23 snj5, May 13, 2008
    That sounds really good. My previous lightweight muffler is being replaced by one (32 lbs) that weighs almost as much as a stock, but should be quieter and smoother for long trips, but still is a straight flow through, and now a true dual. So, you can still roll a golf ball from one side and out the other. To lose 9.4 pounds back would be great to offset

Although not as applicable to most Mondials, we did shave off the K-jet support mounting frame pieces in the engine compartment as well as the two frame support pieces for the lower grating and the lower grating itself. These pieces are marked by the x in the photo which also shows the flow-through muffler assembly, with the K-jet mounts circled in an attached older photo of the engine bay. We removed the Microplex ECU and much of its harness as well as shown in the orange circle in the last photo.

Those several things really tidied up the engine compartment and did have some weight.

24. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Hi guys.

Yes, I've just bought too this aluminum sheet. Is really light and thin, and the seller guarantees that it maintains 400ºF constantly, with a peek of 1.000º F. It's not cheap, but it worths it. I have the web page link, but I don't know if I can post it here. Just PM me.

Cheers

25. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    Just a comment, but you might want to add a heat shield for the starter motor. I did on mine after ceramic coating the headers.