NY to Toronto: Upstaters, chine in | FerrariChat

NY to Toronto: Upstaters, chine in

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by buzzm2005, May 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    The fast route is 80W to 81N to 90W. But it seems that going across Rt 6 to 219N would be the more pleasant way to go.

Can anyone comment on what Rt 6 looks like west of Troy or Towanda? Does it become a 35 mph road? Yahoo maps is adding 2 HOURS to the trip by not taking all the interstates.

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I would go 81N all the way to the QEW towards Toronto. Once getting over the border (pedal down) got to Toronto in 1 and a half.
    90 is good if you want to go by the falls.

3. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Buzz,
    if your taking the BB or Mondi, have you done any research into repair shops along the way?

I need to start compiling a list if'n I want to take the 308 up to the Grand Prix. Murphy's law & the law of the breakable Ferrari.

4. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    BB. I have done no such research. My assertion that it is a jinx is a hollow excuse for being too lazy to look into it.

5. I agree, I live in syracuse as well as 1000 Islands. I have to say you are better off heading north all the way up route 81 and taking the 1000 islands bridge. (better scenery as well IMO) Then shooting over the 401 west on the north side of lake ontario. Border crossing will be much easier at that point. Trust me!! Plus the 401 moves right along!!

6. Got a good guy in Syracuse god forbid anything happens to your car.
    Rocco Cannetta @ Cantech Auto . Very well versed in all sorts of Ferraris, amongst other exotics/sports cars
    http://cantechautomotive.com/inside_shop.php

7. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    New York State Thru Way North to Niagara Falls boarder, at the boarder take QEW to Toronto done,or to FCA meet QEW get off at 407[new pay route highway for Ontario residents, not US residents, major short cut] take it to Richmond Hill at meet hotel location.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Bah!
    Time to start. I'm thinking at least a shop every 75 miles or so...just within the AAA+ towing range :)

Rocco Cannetta @ Cantech Auto . Very well versed in all sorts of Ferraris, amongst other exotics/sports cars
    http://cantechautomotive.com/inside_shop.php

9. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Excellent stuff; thank you!

But 81N to 401W (QEW) is the really fast route. I was hoping to take in some nice upstate New York backroads, hence the cut across Rt. 6. Is there a specific issue with the "going diagonal" route? And what is the deal with border crossing at US190 into CA405? Is it known for backups and delays?

10. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I suspect if the Boxer dies en route, then it's on a flatbed home to NJ while we take a train to NYC from wherever we stopped. The weekend will be a washout. But let's not dwell on that scenario. :)

11. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    An alternative to catch a little scenery is to take 81 North to just south of Syracuse. From there pick-up route 5 & 20. It runs parallel to Route 90, and hits the northern tip of the Finger Lakes. You'll hit places like Seneca Falls, Geneva, Canadaigua, Skaneateles, etc. If it gets too boring, you just needs to head north & pick up the Thruway(I-90). Another option is to take 81 North to 17 West to Elmira. Pick-up Route 14 north, and go thru Watkins Glen. Stay on Route 14 going north along Seneca Lake. Some beautiful views, and can always make a stop(s)at one of the numerous wineries( Finger Lakes region of New York is the Napa of the east). At the northern end of Route 14 is Geneva on the Lake & Belhurst Castle. If you stay on Route 14, it runs right into the New York State Thruway.

12. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Sounds good! Thanks for the input.