Trailer Recommendations? | FerrariChat

Trailer Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MRONY, May 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    I am thinking about getting a simple open trailer to hook up to my Landcruiser -- basically will get used to take one car in for service or inspections! Sick of driving, then waiting for a taxi, then having to do it all over again.

For the Dino and the 355, and even a '66 Mustang. Has to conform to NY and Conn. rules, and fit in my garage (about 22')

2. havoc

havoc Rookie

Apr 13, 2005
    Illinois
    Featherlite makes high quality trailers.

3. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    I used an open Featherlite with an air dam for many years to haul my racecars...including a '66 Mustang! Very light, can be helpful if you are towing with an SUV, and won't rust!

http://www.fthr.com/trailers/model_template.cfm?cat=car&ModelID=31&styleName=Bumper%20Pull&lqcheck=Open%20Models

Look for used trailers as they are often significantly cheaper than new.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I've had very good experience with Trailex trailers....design, execution, serviceability, ease of towing, value retention all excellent.

Jack

5. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    I have a featherlite and it's great. 17'6" and the tongue is 4', so it would just fit. featherlite will also make custom sizes if you want. i got the featherlite b/c i needed something < 1500 lbs to avoid upgrading my tow vehicle (tacoma v6).

I don't know the tow capacity of the landcruiser, but steel trailers are much much cheaper.

given your stated use, maybe it would be cheaper just to call a wrecker to take the car in each time. find someone you like (maybe ask the shop for a recommendation) and stick with 'em. besides the purchase cost of the trailer, you'll have to maintain and store it.

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
  7. jayt

jayt Rookie

Feb 26, 2008
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I have a Trailex 8045 it is just under 21' and is only about 930 lbs with front air dam. It has 11' ramps so no clearance problems to load my 355, 930S orgt40. . It iseasy to pull (LR3 tow vehical) and very well built.

8. MRONY

MRONY Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Mike O.
    I will check them out. The Landcruiser's pretty good for towing. More an issue of fit in the garage!

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Just bought a trailer for my track car. Try econotrailer in Pa. Trailex is very nice but for the limited amount of use its overkill. These open trailers in steel are 1350lbs. in the 15' size. Keep in mind when you add the length of the tongue you are close to 21' now. You might consider a 96" width to fit in your garage if you have single doors there.
    Some of the other aluminum trailers are full deck and no lighter than open steel counterparts. Lastly try Craigslist etc.. as i did see some great deals but they were too big for me.