Oh well - CEL | FerrariChat

Oh well - CEL

Discussion in '360/430' started by tstafford, May 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thus it begins!

Sports cats put on 360 last week. Several drives, all is good. Drove car today - several stops, gas and car wash. Parking in garage and notice CEL is on.

Call to mechanic tomorrow. Will update on any learnings that might help others.

Tim

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #2 dan360, May 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You might want to consider some of this... [I have actually used this solution in my challenge car on a practice day when my brake warning light came on for the rotor life - its a super bright blue light that you need to cover up to drive the car!]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Very funny. . .

What fun would it be to own a Ferrari if I didn't get the chance to see my mechanic on a regular basis? This whole P-Car reliability thing is way over rated. No fun in that. Plus what would I post on F-Chat: "My car is running perfectly." BORING.

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    You probably already know this, but the gas cap can cause the CEL (check engine light) to come on.
    Make sure the gas cap is on correctly and on tight.
    It will then take several short trips to clear the CEL. The computer wants to make sure the lack of pressure it sensed in the gas tank was a temporary thing.

The mechanic will be able to diagnose this as the likely cause by the error code in the car's computer.

The only reason I mention this is the fact that you got gas today.

5. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks. I checked it and it seemed correct. Have turned car on and off a couple of times - no dice. Chances are something is wrong with the cat install or O2 sensors. I'll update when I know more.

6. FQ340

FQ340 Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    ahmet
    The CEL due to cat delete or new cats may or may not cause this.
    I am sure you can find messages and threads that says it did bring up the CEL and it didnt.
    When i got my car the CEL was on and it has tubi without cats. So i was pretty sure thats what it is.
    Searched and asked around here and got conflicting answers as i mentioned above.

When i went to the service i have learned that the install did not bring up the CEL however my o2censor is faulty/broken, they changed it, and voila, no problems at all since then.

just wanted to share my experience with CEL..

cheers..

7. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    The location of the 02 sensors are different between the various years of production and sometimes, the mechanics screw up the install and put the 02 sensor in the wrong place.

8. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well, here you have it. I know that my mechanic put the O2 sensors in the "factory" positions. The following is from Joe Fabiani at FS. Helpful as always. Back to mechanic on Wednesday. Apparenty does not require tearing the car apart again :).

The sport cats that Fabspeed Motorsports offers are designed to fit all 360 Ferrari made worldwide. The 2ndary oxygen sensors MUST be installed AFTER the catalytic converters. You have to take the wires out of the adele clamps and re-install the sensors into the bungs after the catalytic converters. Tighten all connections and no check engine lights are possible. Let us know.

Best Regards,

Joe Fabiani
    President and Owner

9. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Tim You can do a visual to see if the sensors are in the proper bungs. You can also use an OBDII reader to see the codes (these are not Ferrari specific).

10. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Dusky - As always, thanks. I'm quite sure they are not. My mechanic said that he put them in the "factory" position. Also said, that he expected it to throw a CEL but wanted to see for sure. Also, Joe said "factory" position is no good and will cause CEL.

Mechanic told me that he has done Hyperflow before and did the positioning as Joe describes in his e-mail and car has not thrown CEL in over two years. I'm pretty sure I'm on the right track now.

11. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    I won't tell you I told you so but can you say, H Y P E R - F L O W

12. 360blue

360blue Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2007
    Hancock Park
    Full Name:
    adil
    +1

13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    what make/model cats are they ?

14. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Fabspeed Sport Cats. FYI - Mechanic had to do exact same thing to avoid CEL with Hyperflow on a CS.

15. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    I'm looking at hyperflows, can you post the section of email that says how to position them please

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Please read post #8 above......

17. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #17 Doug_S, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
    If your gas cap was loose, it takes about 35 cycles of key off, key on, to reset the CEL

I had a loose gas cap CEL and made an appointment at Miller Motorcars to reset it, but it was a week before they could see me and they said 35 cycles would reset it itself. I managed to cycle it off in a week. I knew it was the gas cap because when I first saw the CEL after a fillup I checked the cap and it was clearly loose.