Going to New Port. What to see? | FerrariChat

Going to New Port. What to see?

Discussion in 'New England' started by DrStranglove, May 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #1 DrStranglove, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
    Hey! I am coming to New Port for a few days the first week of June. What should I see and do? Who wants a drink?

2. Patentman

Patentman Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2004
    Boston/Delray Beach
    Full Name:
    Barry W. Chapin
    If you want to see how the wealthy rolled back in the day, check out one or two of the mansions on Bellvue Avenue, a short walk from Thames street - each house takes about 1 hour. They are extremely large houses of the wealthy families (Vanderbilts, Oil tycoons, etc.) built about 150 years ago. Most are now museums and these houses make most large modern large homes look like a joke. They are insanely large (like 50000 square feet, 25 bedrooms, etc) and grand. Each house has a name - "The Breakers", "The Elms", "The Marble House" and "Rosecliff" are all very cool, crazy huge and well worth the $5 or $10 it costs to walk through them. The owners of these homes in their time are the equivalent of the people these days with 20 or more Ferraris, a few planes, numerous homes, a few islands, etc.

If your into drinking and live band music, take a walk down Thames Street (the main road in town) and go into some of the bars. The Pelham is very good, has live bands on weekends and is fun. The Red Parrot is good as well.

I'll be in Vegas that week or I'd get a crew together and come for some beers.

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    What Patentman said, plus I think that the Black Pearl is a good bar, if a bit touristy, to knock back a few beers and a bowl of chowder. Also, if you are into the sailing and America's Cup history of Newport at all, see if there is a way you can get a sail on some of the vintage 12 meter yachts that are berthed there. One outfit called Seascope is run by Elizabeth Tiedemann who continues the business after her husband died a couple of years ago. He was a great guy with an old Jaguar that he restored as well as these old boats. They do a lot of corporate events but you might ask them if there are any cruises for normal people.

4. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Breakers mansion is the largest and most spectacular. Then there are several others to see. You could go to the Inn at Castle Hill for lunch or dinner. Best view in Newport and great food. Away from downtown area so it is also quiet. Great place to watch the boats. Tennis Hall of Fame on Bellevue. Fort Adams. Lots of shops on Bellevue Avenue and Thames Street. If the weather is nice you could do the Cliff Walk. This is a walkway that goes around the back of all of the mansions right along the water. Mansions on one side, water on the other. Great view!

5. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Thanks gents!

Next question would be where to stay as it looks like I will be there for the weekend.

6. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    The best places in town are The Chanler (www.thechanler.com) and the Inn at Castle Hill. (www.castlehillinn.com)

The Hotel Viking is a great mid range hotel and has a great location right downtown. (www.hotelviking.com)

7. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS