California is not really a Ferrari ? | FerrariChat

California is not really a Ferrari ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ferandre, May 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferandre

ferandre Rookie

Mar 20, 2005
    What do you think about the reports that the upcoming California is really based on Maserati with shared parts, making it not a true Ferrari, and thus its value may not hold up (or even depreciate rapidly) like other models?

2. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    There was some talk a while ago that part of the deal of Ferrari selling Maserati back to Fiat was that they got to keep the blue print of the jointly-developed GT, which the California appears to be. That being said I think the California is more Ferrari than Maserati or anything else (Alfa), so I'd expect it to perform in the after market as well as any other Ferrari would; in fact it will probably out perform the 612 in the devaluation stakes!

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    What do you think about the reports that Ferraris are really based on Fiats with shared parts, making it not a true Ferrari, and thus their value may not hold up (or even depreciate rapidly) like other cars ?

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As long as it has the horsey on the back, and the SF shield on the fenders, I don't think that where some of the parts come from will be a concern.

now if the decide it needs the FIAT logo prominently displayed, they are in trouble. :D

DM

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #5 GrigioGuy, May 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. switchcars

switchcars Formula 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well....based on a Maserati that was developed by Ferrari.....so really, still a Ferrari

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    There will be some who make the argument it's not a 'real Ferrari', but it has the badges, sold through the dealer, and will sell like hotcakes. Like it or not, the world will see this thing as a Ferrari. Many people will be overjoyed with getting their new Ferrari -- hairsplitters can keep debating on the internet...

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Well, now that's a horse of a different color. :D

And last time I checked, they don't really hold their re-sale value either. If it costs $100MM to develop one, Probably $5-10MM to actually build one and they sell 'em used for a couple million, there's some pretty serious depreciation, eh?

DM

9. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    You have it all backwards. For the short time that Maserati was directly owned by Ferrari a significant amount of time was spent in developing the new Maseratis, at Ferrari R&D.
    When you visit the Ferrari factory today you will see "Maserati" engines still being made alongside Ferrari engines and the paint shop still paints the current Masers.
    This new car, even 'though it shares a chassis with the Maserati is very much a Ferrari - developed in house and built at Ferrari from Ferrari derived research.

The big gainer in this scenario is Maserati, which is really selling a Ferrari clothed in Maserati metal.

10. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    If they plopped a Mazda label on the front, I'd still want one :D

That thing is gorgeous.

11. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think except for specials like the Enzo, F is no longer building exotic cars

1 definition of exotic is rare, when you see 6 430s on every block in South Beach thats not exactly rare anymore

The Cali is probably a worse "investment" than a Camry as far as depreciation

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    You have the question backwards. Is any modern day Maserati a true Maserati?

Ferrari was put in charge to resurrect, design, build, sell, and service the Maserati brand.

I don't think Ferrari would place a Ferrari badge on a car that wan't a true Ferrari. And then name it after one of their legendary models?

13. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    The Dino wasn't a true Ferrari and enthusiasts still loved it to death. Unless Ferrari released a photo of a Fiero with some fancy body kit on, the California is 100% Ferrari. The Maserati GT is probably 40% Ferrari.

14. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think what Ferrari are trying to do here is throw some competition towards Aston Martin as well as Porsche and Audi. Its the niche they are filling with the Cali. The V8 Vantage as well as certain Mercedes and Porsches. Not to say these cars are "performance competition" but Ferrari are trying to take away sales IMO. Lets hope they don't hit the SUV segment.

The Cali is defiantly a Ferrari, just a smaller one. Anybody who has been to the car's web-site heard how quick the shifts were and its nice V8 sound.

She's a Ferrari in the same way the F430 is a Ferrari. Just with the motor in the front.

_J

15. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Car and Driver reported that a possible downfall of the new model is that it will not be assembled at the Ferrari factory or somethign? maybe farmed out? Pinninfarina? I cant remember and the article is at home. does anyone remember what it said?

16. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    I remember that also, but didn't Ferrari used to have coachwork done outside of the factory years ago also? I do some issues with the fact that some people will associate the car as being a clone of the Alfa or Maser, much like the Camaro and Firebird were similar (not that I am comparing any of the Italians to the F Body GM cars, just using it as a point of reference).

17. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I've heard that the California is built on the Maser GT frame. The Cali is bigger than it looks in photos.

18. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    If Ferrari outsource the production of the car to Toyota, perhaps the cars will become more reliable and less prone to spontaneously combust. ;)

19. Bcube

Bcube Karting

Jan 9, 2006
    I.E. in SoCal
    Full Name:
    Brian
    No. No matter the misinformation the current press keeps reporting, the California is based upon a platform that was being developed in the early 2000's for the (then) upcoming replacement of the Maser GranSport/Coupe/Spyder. After the split, this platform stayed with Ferrari. The GranTurismo is based upon a shortened QP platform. The GranTurismo was not intended by Maserati to be a replacement for the GranSport/Coupe/Spyder. Maserati Corporate has stated many times that Maserati will be a three model brand. The GS/Cpe/Spyder replacement platform will now be a collaboration between Maserati and Alfa Romeo.

http://www.maseratinet.com/mas_news/ferrari_challenge.asp

20. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    it's built off a maserati platform, not even constructed at the main factory but out-sourced. it's not a real ferrari IMO.

21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #21 greyboxer, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
    I'm not disputing your comment but cannot find it in any of the information so far confirmed - where does this come from ?

As an aside aren't the frames for all the recent models etc outsourced to Alcan with some bodies outsourced to Scglietti ?

22. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Ferrari is like an American mass producing manufacturer now. One platform, several cars (California, Alfa 8C, Maserati). What, did you want your Ferrari to be unique and special?

23. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    So basicly you are saying for future Ferraris to be unique and special, we need to start following the import ricer trend? Big bing bling rims, tinted windows, aftermarket spoilers, stickers, lower suspension, body kit and God forbid underbody neon kit? :D That would be depressing to see.

24. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    I think he is saying Ferrari is having to split R&D costs on some models due to the increasing amount of money needed to develop a new model.

25. Brapbrapbrap

Brapbrapbrap Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Hal
    Lessee,

Ferrari Red? Check.
    Ferrari Motor? Check.
    Ferrari Styling? Check.
    Ferrari Badge? Check.
    Ferrari Price Tag? Check.

I might be wrong, but I think it's a Ferrari.