456 Radiator | FerrariChat

456 Radiator

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jcurtis, May 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurtis

jcurtis Rookie

Apr 14, 2005
    Laguna Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jack Curtis
    #1 jcurtis, May 19, 2008
    Last edited: May 19, 2008
    The radiator has rotted out and cannot be repaired. Dealer wants $7k plus as does Ricambi. Has anyone ever had one built? Any suggestions appreciated.

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I just made a call to a friend. He makes custom radiators here in Australia. :):)

When I told him that a Ferrari 456 radiator costs US $7K from the dealer, he reckons he almost fell off his chair. :p:p

He can make one here for you, or you can just hunt around in your area and get one made. Saves ya shipping cost to Australia.
    Surely there would be hundreds of custom radiator shops over there in the good US of A. :D:D

His custom made radiators average around AU $1000 each. Around US $950. Make some calls dude. :):)

3. Dave 456

Dave 456 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dave Simons
    Yep, Aluminium radiators are not the great idea that they seemed to be 15 years ago. A lot of cars, esp M-B are showing the same problems.
    I'm looking at the same issue with the 456, in the very near future.I think though, that only the water radiator is the problem, the engine oil cooler seems
    OK. looking at getting it recored by someone who fabricates race car radiators or intercoolers. Since the header tanks are welded on, it should be possible.

Pap, can you PM or email me the details of your guy? - I've been talking to some people in Sydney, but it does no harm to talk to more.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

PM sent Dave. ;);)

5. TopElement

TopElement Formula 3

May 14, 2005
    OC & Vegas
    Full Name:
    A Montoya
    It would help to know where you are located. There are many high quality radiator companies that could make a better replacement for about $1k.

6. jcurtis

jcurtis Rookie

Apr 14, 2005
    Laguna Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jack Curtis
    The early 456's had a single radiator for cooling both coolant and oil. Later, the two were separate units bolted together to fit the same dimensions. Finall, the later 456M's had the same although they were not made of aluminum. I have found a later one from a very low mileage, wrecked 456M. I have been told of fabricator in Phoenix who can build replacements for about $1100 to $1300. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

7. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I just had a 456 GT radiator built, brass, and reattached the oil rad. to it. also had to fabricate a heater left/right radiator ....

MUCH less expensive to have it built. didn't do the aluminium, but brass is just as good for the life of my car.

some clown filled in oatmeal or dirt or something and 2/3 clogged the works....someone should either beat up that Ferrari dealership in bay area [not a factory :)] and tell them never handle any car again. what a joke...even I would know better than to do that.

IF you need help on a mfgr, PM me....it was about +- $3k.

8. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    It is very common for the 456 radiator to plug with sediment due to the flow pattern through the radiator. The first sign you are getting ready to have a problem is the high speed cooling fan running all the time. This will occure before you see much of a concern with the temp gauge. We regularly have them backflushed and rodded out. Have yet to see one that needed any more. We currently have two in the shop getting cleaned out now. I would suggest a second opinion prior to getting a new one made. Many radiator shops fail to rebuild much anymore.

9. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

Agreed, however, the 456 has a peculiar routing pattern where if too clogged it is just not very well suited to a rodding out. Such was the case on mine. They tried. The Al-walls of the tubes were thinned out too. I was surprised that a rebuild would be required, but, such was the case. Cost of the mfgr was about $1,300, takeout, replacement was another about $1,500, for a total of about $3k.

IF you can get a rodding out, then good for him, but something tells me he will be visiting the shop within a short period for leaks.

10. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I believe I read somewhere that there is an aftermarket replacement for these. In any event, replacement of these is not that uncommon. No doubt this can be done for a LOT less than $7k

Alberto

11. boforsberg

boforsberg Rookie

Feb 26, 2008
    Fredensborg, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Bo Forsberg
    First off all to all of you that post ideas and solutions - thank you so much. Doing the past 6 month I think I have read allmost every thread around 456 and it has made it so much easier to make the right solution in buying my first Ferrari

Just recently bought a 456M Gt - and i love it! I have owned several of other fantasic cars but there is only one car that make you feel that special feeling! My 456M GT is a 2002 with 27000 km on the clock and I got it with full Ferrari Power Waranty (made my descition a lot easier;). It drives terrific but I must say the Radiator return hose is placed a very rediculas place. Do any of you know a solution to this (modification/ after market radiator) near Denmark (yes i live in the country where tax on cars are 180%) As long as it's in Europe there shouldn't be a problem with tax and transportation

Thanks
    Bo

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #12 SonomaRik, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    I don't know the easy solution to the return hose, but you are correct: It was an blunder to place it that way. IF [and I did mention to modify it on the new constructed radiator I got last month] you have the chance, just have it place better. In the 'what were they thinking' category, that places high on my list as also the parking brake cable on the Mondial T....nitwits.

13. boforsberg

boforsberg Rookie

Feb 26, 2008
    Fredensborg, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Bo Forsberg
    Do you have any pictures or drawings on your modified radiator? And maybe some info on contact and cost?

I had mine fixed for the second time a few weeks ago because the first Radiator repair guy didn't use the right materiale so it leaked within a week. I had a steelplate attached right underneath the returnhose but I'm not sure it will do the trick and I can see it allready has a few hits - moving the hose i guess is a lot better solution.

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Sorry for the late reply:

I can get the pictures. I can give you the guy who made the new radiator from scratch. We re-attached the old/original Oil radiator that was connected to its side: That was fine.

It is of brass, took Brian Crall a little extra work to afix, and Brian designed a cleaver meanst to intertwine the loops and old oil radiator such that we actually gained, an extra inch or two on the coils. Ferrari designed it to be 'just so' for a minimal. I can't remember, but I do believe Brian changed the bottom gooseneck too. Gotta get the pics.

We also had to replace the internal two-core heater radiators for the same reason.

Turns out the 'dude' who put what I thought was stopleak into the system, wasn't actually the problem. It was more the slow deterioration of the Aluminium's thin walls. Brass not as good a heat disap. will at least be stronger. PS: Believe it can be more easily recored next time.

IF YOU pm me, I'll get you the address/link to that shop and you can go over it with them. I did the 'experiment' for them, but seemed faily straight fwd.
    r

15. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Dude...contact me offline. I got a guy a 360F1 driver who does radiators for the OEM's. He can get you anything or can find one which can sub in for the 456 one for a fraction of the price. You want it perfect as ferrari intended get a 7k oem. The next best is custom less than a grand. 90% chance you can find a close exisiting unit that can be bolted in with small modifications...my guess a few hundred. Radiators are low-low tech.

16. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    good luck on a 'few hundred',

my sug. is to contact both of us. Mine works fine and looks very close to OEM.

17. jcurtis

jcurtis Rookie

Apr 14, 2005
    Laguna Beach, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jack Curtis
    Found a used 456M radiator at Ferrparts in Sacramento at a very fair price. When we pressure tested it, it had a couple of core leaks. Russ at Ferrparts was very cooperative and we renegotiated the price. Since it was a late 456M radiator, it was not aluminum so having it recored was a simple and economical solution.