Marco Andretti says McLaren sabotaged car to ruin fathers F1 career?!?! | FerrariChat

Marco Andretti says McLaren sabotaged car to ruin fathers F1 career?!?!

Discussion in 'F1' started by SRT Mike, May 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Andretti Says Team Tried to Sabotage Dad
    By CHRIS JENKINS,AP
    Posted: 2008-05-21 23:56:06

INDIANAPOLIS (May 21) - Although Marco Andretti would jump at the chance to race in Formula One if the right team came calling, his eyes are wide open to the sport's dark side of politics and backstabbing.

And the third-generation member of one of racing's most famous families doesn't have to look far to find an example of the circuit's ruthless nature: His father, Michael, drove in the elite international series in 1993 and came away looking like a failure.

Marco Andretti, center, says that when his father Michael, left, drove in the Formula One series, he came away looking like a failure because of "sabotage" by the McLaren team. Marco, the grandson of American racing legend Mario, right, is a member of one of the famous families in sports history. But Marco said the team his father drove for, McLaren, went out of its way to make sure he didn't get a fair shake.

"If you ask me, it was sabotage," Andretti told The Associated Press on Wednesday, as he prepared for Sunday's Indianapolis 500. "It was."

According to conventional racing wisdom, Michael Andretti didn't succeed in his lone F1 season because he wasn't committed enough, wasn't properly prepared or simply didn't measure up.

But Marco said people don't know "the real story" behind his father's poor performance that year, insisting the team tried to make his dad look bad so they could get rid of him and make room for a promising young driver - Mika Hakkinen, who would go on to win two world championships.

"They wanted him to fail," Andretti said. "I don't know, it was a very bad deal. The reality of it was, they had Mika Hakkinen ready to come in for a lot less than what my dad was getting paid, and that's all it was. Right then and there, they had to make him look (bad)."

Andretti said McLaren's efforts to sabotage his father's career went beyond simply giving better cars and engines to his teammate, Ayrton Senna - something that might be expected, given Senna's status as a three-time world champion. Andretti insists the team intentionally made his father's cars more difficult to drive.
    "They would make the car do weird things in the corner electronically, stuff out of his control," Marco Andretti said.

The situation only improved, Andretti said, when Senna stepped in.

Good job Marco - I doubt Ron Dennis will be giving you a call anytime soon to test in a McLaren. That means your choices for driving for top teams pretty much come down to Ferrari and BMW. BMW has a young star in Kubica and Ferrari have their pick of the litter and woulnd't likely want to take a shot on a newbie-to-F1 like him.

Have fun driving at Honda or STR, if you can even get a shot, that is!

2. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

Do you really think that Ron was gonna call him anyway? This subject was touched on in the Rahal F1 not interesting thread.

3. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

The kid couldn't handle Europe, anyway, and has no intention of going. He's the child of his parents...need I say more?

4. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    According to my friend that knew Senna well enough to have dinner every time Senna was in town, Marco is not too far off from being wrong. Senna actually did try to intervene, but by then it was too late.

Marco's mother was really disliked by the F1 entourage, that also didn't help.

5. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I initially had the exact same reaction as you when I read this on ESPN.com. He complains in the same article about only having a shot at winning in one of two teams right? Make that zero teams now, turbo.

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    If you ever watched the BBC special on McLaren for the 1993 season they spent a whole episode on Michael Andretti. The first thing you noticed was some of the bizarre screw-ups that happened to him. Example, at Montreal as soon as he leaves the pits and goes out for practice, the entire from nose section is not riveted on. It's literally floating up off the chassis - he has to reach over the steering wheel and hold it down..while driving all the way around the course.
    Completely amatuerish stuff from McLaren. It may have been an isolated incident - but following Marco's comments - it would seem par for the course....
    Kevin S.
    Orchard Park, NY

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I heard the samething about Senna, he had a very good relationship with the Andretti family, and felt that Michael was mistreated.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 I never carried for Michael's persona, but I always respected him as a driver, I felt in the early 90's he was one of the best drivers in the world. I never thought he got a fair shake in F1, and I feel that it wasn't only McLaren that messed up his career. At the time CART was very strong, and to show the CART Champion as a failure in the F1 World, said volumes in the minds of people about the superiorty of F1 over CART. Look at the way Nigel Mansell was treated by the CART Establishment. F1 at that time should have been ashamed of himself.

9. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Exactly!

10. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    A year ago I would have said no way, Mclaren is a serious team and would not do that.

Today I believe anything about Ron Dennis and his team.

11. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I don't think Marco is lying either. The team did seem to want to see Michael fail. Michael claimed the settings were never as he wanted them on his car. How can anyone do well in those conditions. The fact that Senna was stepping in for him only shows how unfair the whole thing was.

12. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    +2 Spot on, Tony. There was definitely some shady stuff going on in the background.

13. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    Definitely says something about Senna, someone who actually cares about the success of their teammate.

I find it hard to believe that a team would just sabotage their own driver though, after all you are paying him to race and hope to win the Constructors Championship. If they really didn't want him their they should have just canned him and brought in Mika.

14. Brakefade

Brakefade Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Hmm... I wonder if it was more of a "Ya, ya, you stupid yank, just drive the car, leave the complicated stuff to us Englishmen" type of attitude than straight sabotage. It's the same thing with Scott Speed and STR. Besides manhandling that weenie of an owner, he did nothing but good things there. STR where a lot closer to the points last year than so far this year.

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Supposedly one of the first people to call and congratulate Michael after his win in his first race back in Champ Car was Senna. So obviously they were close. I wonder if that played into Senna going to Williams in 1994?

This time last year I would have thought Marco was nuts for making those claims, but after Stepneygate, I am inclined to believe it. Sadly, just because you're one of the best doesn't mean you have integrity.

16. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Why wouldn't McLaren just fire him or release him if that's what they wanted? It happens in F1 all the time. Teams never feel the need to justify things to the world. If a driver isn't cutting it for them, or if they feel they can do better, they do. Renault did exactly this last year, letting Fisi and Heiki go to snag Alonso.

Also, we all know these drivers have huuuuge egos, and I doubt Michael would be telling people "yeah I just couldn't cut it in comparison to Mika, so he got the seat over me" - many many drivers (actually almost all of them) blame the team and the car when things aren't going well. It seems very far fetched to me that McLaren would give up possible millions in TV money for wins and compromise their sponsorship money by causing bad results, just to get rid of a driver that they could have gotten rid of at any time anyway.

Also, isn't it common knowledge that Michael never really got comfortable with the car because he refused to live over there?

Either way, I guess the point of my post was the stupidity of Marco to say this, as a guy who wants to be an F1 guy. Talking sheat about one the 2nd longest standing and 2nd most successful team in F1 history isn't a very good way to work his way into F1.

17. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #17 climb, May 22, 2008
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
    Only saw Michael one time in my life at of all places the Cleveland Auto Show sitting in a 10x10 booth to sign autographs.

The guy was on the phone the entire time with a don't wanna be here look on his face. People would walk over and start telling him how great he was blah blah blah but he would hardly make eye contact or acknowledge them at all. Had ear to phone the whole time.

I've seen Mario at the Chevron booth at a few shows and he always smiled and shook hands and just seemed nice.

If that 10 min observation is any indication (and it may not be) i could see how people even at the F1 level wouldn't like the guy.

18. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    Why, I've heard they were the exact same way be then (probably even now).

19. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Senna went to Williams because they were the best team on the grid. They won the two previous championships, and Mclaren was becoming uncompetitive. Let's not start adding things to this fantasy, Senna wanted to win, period.

20. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis

No, the perception was that Michael wasn't committed to F1 because he refused to live in Europe. The fact was Mika did all the testing because his salary had to be justified and Michael never did. Michael was never going to get comfortable with the car that way. This was apparent when Mika out-qualified Senna first time out in the McLaren. Mika knew that car better than anyone. Michael explained in that he could be in England or anywhere to test in 4 hours by Concorde. I guess his reasoning was why uproot his family when he felt he didn't have to.

21. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I actually heard the same rumor. That Senna was displeased with McLaren's treatment of Andretti it turned him off to the team and did contribute to his leaving. You're right about the Williams being the best car and Senna wanting to be wherever the best car was however. I guess we'll never really know the whole story, the only person to properly answer that question is no longer with us.

22. anguruso

anguruso Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Hong Kong/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Angus Cheng
    I think he was going to Mclaren after 1991 but Honda convinced him to stay. So he stayed with Mclaren for 1992. Then wanted to go to Williams for 1993, but Alain Prost forbade it. Then he finally went to Williams and did a few laps for them.

23. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah then why was Senna so pissed off about Prost signing with Williams with a veto clause against him? This was in 1992, before Michael came to F1. Do you remember that press conference?

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    There's probably some truth to all of the above. Michael probably didn't have the gung-ho enthusiasm you'd get from a young euro driver. And remember that stupid "dot" they tried on the "option" tires, just to avoid doing the red side stripe? -- because zarquon forbid F1 should ever copy a solution to a problem CART already dealt with.

You probably won't see many successful American drivers in F1. Or Japanese or Australian drivers, either. The domestic venues in those nations aren't may not be the self-proclaimed "pinnacle" of motorsports, but you don't have to live out of a trailer to drive in them, either. Most of the "Americans" in F1 have been like Eddie Cheever -- european by upbringing and residence, but with a US passport by parentage.

So between the FIA's desperation to be "not American", and the reality that racers from other continents just don't need F1, the big F1 stars are likely to remain european. (While F1 drivers may be the marketing stars, notice that F1 stars don't really dominate the ROC, against drivers from other types of racing.)

This is one reason I'm dismayed at the path FIA has taken with F1. In reality, the only thing that makes F1 "special" outside its native locale is the crazy advanced, high price technology in the cars.

Make F1 a "spec" series to control costs, and it will just be another of a dozen different venues racing over the weekend.

25. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Indirectly, Senna was partly responsible of Michael Andretti's fate at McLaren.
    At the beginning of 1993, Ron Dennis had recruited Mika Hakkinen and Michael Andretti as drivers.
    Senna was dragging his feet over the contract and was doubtful.
    When Senna finally signed, McLaren had suddenly one driver too many.
    Now, Hakkinen's manager insisted for Mika to have driving time, and he was given all the pre-season testing to do, to compensate for his lost of GP drive.
    The McLaren team would be represented now by Senna and Andretti.
    Deprived of 'driving time' Michael Andretti couldn't get used to the car, and also relation between him and Dennis became 'frosty'.
    The media received 'leaks' of Dennis criticism towards him, such as lack of committment, unavailability to test at short notice due to remote location, innadaptation to GP scene, etc....
    Obviously, Dennis was keen to keep Senna and had also sensed that Hakkinen was a good future prospect: Michael Andretti had to go.
    I believe that it was Michael's father, Mario, who really convinced him to look for a way out of that contract. Dennis was very pleased with that!
    I had been convenient for Dennis to hire Michael when he needed a well-known driver to satisfy the sponsors; it also became very convenient to get rid of him when he became extra number.