Aged Tires | FerrariChat

Aged Tires

Discussion in '348/355' started by ginsuguy, May 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    Lots of stuff on the news about the dangers of tires over 6yrs old. It seems thet come apart from the inside if old, and unravel at high speeds. My p zeros are 15k miles but 8 yrs old. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts they can share? Hate to buy a new set when they look great with no drying out signs...

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There was an extended and learned thread a month or two ago somewhere here

Conclusion unless you only drive in the dry at 55 mph change them

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Best to get rid of it from a safety standpoint. The tires have a 6 year life. Maybe you could take the car over to a good tire shop and ask them to check the tire condition.

4. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Change them, you're talking about spending $1,200 to protect your life and your $55-90k car.

I'd hate to end up in a wheelchair for the rest of my life over something as simple as tires so I always change them if they are over a few years old.

5. andrewmr

andrewmr Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2005
    Bucks County, PA.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    How much tread is left on them after 15K miles?

I'm a cheap SOB, so I tend to want to use stuff up instead of replacing them before they "have" to be replaced. I've used tires that were older than that and wouldn't have an issue doing it again. That is assuming there's no visable issues with the tire. FWIW, you can feel a tire that is coming apart from damage to the internal structure.

How fast do you drive? If you were driving the tire at speed and/or under severe use I'd probably change them. If I were just rolling around town I'd be tempted go use them up.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Apart from potentially saving your life, which is a good thing, there's nothing that transforms a car like new tires. I swapped out a set of 7-year old Michelin Sport Pilots for new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s and the improvement was dramatic.

Tires and batteries are just about the only parts on a 348 that aren't stupidly overpriced -- I'd ante up and do it.

7. hacker-pschorr

hacker-pschorr Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2006
    Land of Lambeau
    +1
    I install old tires on my cars for winter storage. Tires are moved to this duty after 5-6 years no matter how much tread is left.
    I understand not every sports car owner is a speed demon, but I really question buying a Ferrari and not caring about the contact to the road.

IMO this is like changing your oil every five years because you only put on 700-800 miles on the car.

At my last car club meeting I was reminded why I stopped hanging around car clubs. A local tire dealer was there answering questions.
    The question that had the most people interested was: "I never drive over 70mph so why should I buy Z rated tires over the cheaper H rated"?

8. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    Looks like the overall suggestion is to pony up for a new set and not chance it...Thanks everyone....

9. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Watch out for some of these tire places!! they will sell you a 6 to 8 year old tire. There is a code on the tire that tells you when it was made, its in a circle with numbers (0493) its a tire built in April 1993, If it says (0408) Then you should be ok. I heard if the tires are over three years old, they are junk.. Any opinions from our tire experts out there??

10. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    What about tire makers...any suggestions?

11. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Depends on your budget.

Michelin PS2/Pirelli PZeros would be fantastic if you can afford it. I personally put on Kumho Ecsta SPTs - they are Z rated, cheap and very decent.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Find a school or safe skidpad and go have fun learn a few things and burn them up. Its really fun! Sometimes I do race practice sessions or race school on street tires just to fry the rubber. It is a fun change from the grip of slicks.

13. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    I just had my tire looked at this past weekend before the run with the So. Cal group. I stopped in to have the tire pressure checked and they told me the tires on the front of my car were from '94...:eek: the code was somthing like (0494) he said they might be originals...:eek: needless to say I still went on the run...:) got her up to 135. I am now getting new tires (all 4) in the next week or so. I guess I was really lucky...:D

14. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    see 14 years old!!! Wow!!

15. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    Thanks everyone. Great feedback...Yeah, like those Kumho's