Monaco KIMI & FELIPE Post Race Interviews *SPOILER* | FerrariChat

Monaco KIMI & FELIPE Post Race Interviews *SPOILER*

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, May 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (from autosport)

KIMI'S INTERVIEW:

Q. Has it been a bad grand prix for you from the start?

Kimi Raikkonen: Yes. It was not one of the best races, but that is racing - sometimes it goes right and sometimes it goes wrong. I made some mistakes and the team made some mistakes, and we paid the price. But we will go to the next race and hope to do better.

Q. What about the incident with Adrian Sutil?

KR: Basically I just think my brakes were a bit too cold and I locked the rear. I nearly lost the car but unfortunately I hit him – and it is sad for them because they are not very often in the position to finish in the points. So, I feel a bit sorry for him – but I could not do anything. I tried to slow down but there was nowhere to go and nowhere to slow down – and I lost fifth place.

Q. It was a bad race for Ferrari, in terms of finishing positions and the fact that Lewis Hamilton is now leading the championship once again...

KR: Yeah, I mean it has not been a perfect weekend for us, and we are not leading the championship any more. But we have been in much worse situations before and it is not the end of the world. There are so many races to go, and so many things can happen still. I think we have good speed in the car as long as we get everything right – and today everything that could go wrong did go wrong. It is a shame, but that is racing.

Q. Did you misjudge your braking distance with Adrian?

KR: I don't think so. It was just a racing incident. I just locked the rear brakes on the bump and you cannot really slow the car after that. There was nowhere to go, and not enough space to try and avoid him.

Q. There was also the incident at the beginning of the race with your tyres. What happened there? Was it a late call?

KR: It wasn't a late call. We started to put the tyres on earlier than the others, but unfortunately they had some problems with the wheel nut on one of the rear wheels and they could not get the wheel nut on. By the time they got the new one on it was under three minutes, so from that moment on it started to go wrong. And after that, everything went wrong. It was a shame that we lost four points, because it can make a big difference, but these things happen.

Q. Why was your race pace so far off today?

KR: I just couldn't get the tyres working. After the safety cars, unfortunately we had the drive through and that made it difficult again. It just wasn't a very easy day.

Q. Do you feel sorry for Adrian about what happened?

KR: It is the same in my career. I would also like to have had the four points but as I said, he is not often going to be in that position to score a fourth place and for sure it was more painful for him than it was for me, and I am sorry for it. But for sure if I could have, I would have preferred not to hit him.

Q. Was this one of the worst races of your life?

KR: Well, I don't think it is the worst race. I did good races and others where I didn't finish one lap. So today, many things happened and it went wrong already in the first part – but unfortunate things happen. I made a mistake and we made a mistake together.

It is not what we wanted, but it is not the end of my life. I am not going to start crying and shouting. This is an early part of the season and so far the season has been pretty good, and at some point you are going to have bad times. But at least we had a little bit of gap to the others so it didn't hurt too much really – I am only a few points behind Lewis. It is the early season still and last year we were much further away.

Q. If you could say something to Adrian Sutil, what would you say?

KR: I said it already – I said I am sorry for him and his team because probably they are not going to be often in the position to score a fourth position. Plus it was in Monaco. So it was harder for him than for me, but it was a racing incident and I could not go anywhere. There wasn't much space and I could not slow down.

Q. Have you spoken to Adrian?

KR: No, I haven't seen him but when I see him I will say sorry. So probably a bit hard for him, but it is racing and you learn from it.

Q. Without traction control, how was it out there?

KR: It was difficult in wet conditions, but for me at least it was difficult to get the tyres working in the beginning. But you need to be careful, and unfortunately I made some mistakes.

FELIPE MASSA INTERVIEW:

Felipe Massa said Ferrari got their strategy wrong during the Monaco Grand Prix, after the Brazilian finished in third place.

Massa led the early part of the event from pole position, but a driving error gave the lead to BMW's Robert Kubica.

Although Massa's pace was strong while running behind the Pole, Ferrari decided to change his strategy and so Massa ended up running on intermediate tyres for too long.

By the time he changed his tyres, Massa was already out of contention for victory.

"I had a difficult race," said the Brazilian. "I lost the radio with over 20 laps (left). I couldn't talk and just had to look at the boards, so it was not so easy to know what was going on.

"In the first stint even with the moment I was so quick. I was able to put down such a good pace and I knew the strategy was working very well and car was perfect, and suddenly we changed to one stop and put fuel to end of race and that was a mistake because the track was getting dry.

"We expect some more rain coming but it didn't come and then by the time Robert stopped I wanted to stop again but it was difficult to keep a conversation between team and me.

"We took too long to change tyres. We made a mistake on the strategy but it's good to be on the podium. We know the championship is long and I am happy with the result.

"We had a great car in the dry and a great strategy. I was maybe the last car to stop, so it means we had a great car in qualifying and the race but the strategy didn't work."

Massa lost the lead to Kubica when he went off at the end of the straight, although the Brazilian recovered quickly and was soon behind the BMW.

"For sure, all of us had a little moment," he said. "In a race like that it is so easy to have a small loss of concentration. I just braked over the line and couldn't stop the car. I braked a little bit over line and couldn't stop it."

Massa is now four points off the championship lead, behind Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen.

2. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    I just lost a LOT of respect for Kimi -

"yeah I feel a little bit sorry for him - BUT LOOK AT ME! I lost points too you know!" (second half paraphrased)

Oh and Tifosi: Thanks a ton, ALL your F1 posts are REALLY informative and ALWAYS contribute. Thanks for taking the time, it IS appreciated...

3. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Kimi's comments are about par.
    These guys all have monster egos and all this is about them.
    In fact Kimi, for a driver not scripted, went as far in apologising as it goes.
    Perhaps Ferrari management will give Sutil a bonus point in their decision making process when its time to select replacement drivers.

4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Well, Kimi has been no stranger to bum luck.

If his comments seem half-baked, maybe it's from being in all those flaming McLarens. ;)

It's a really bad break for Sutil, but it's racing: stuff like that happens.

(*** INDY SPOILER ***)
    At least you didn't see Sutil gallumphing down pit row, having to be intercepted by the marshals. :p
    (And then having to walk back in front of the cameras with helmet hair. :D)

5. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI

Get a life. No one rushed to console Kimi Raikkonen when his car exploded at the 'Ring in 2005, leading the race, and with less than 10 laps to go, costing him the title over Alonso. Adrian Sutil is lucky himself the race was wet, otherwise he'd have been back in his customary 20th position.

6. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Kimi had a bad day at the office ,Lewis had a good day it's swing's and round abouts, it happens to the best of them that's what keeps F1 good IMO.

God help LH, the day he does that to normally a back marker on here though.

Shame about Sutil, but he will have gained alot of respect for his race today.

7. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John

Sutil was outdriving your little hero and you didn't like it even though Raikonnen was using him for brakes !!??

The wet shows up who has talent and looking at the results KR is NOT as good as quite a few drivers in front of him, one of them being Webber who has never had a good car under him.

I don't believe KR handles the cars well without traction control, he didn't do any good times until the road was dry and then only because he had nothing to lose.

Without FM "gifting" KR his home race last year Raikonnen would still be without a WDC, they're the facts and all you KR arsekissers should thank him for that

I want both drivers to win but I think the pendulum has swung towards Massa

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Weak strategy cost the race.

9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, it´s not the same. That was not caused by a stupid mistake of other driver. And Kimi had the chance of winning more races later. Besides that, Force India need that money.

I suppose that this is not a perfect world and life is not fair.

10. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Suffice to say, most of the points you touched on in this are a stretch, and that's putting it kindly. First off, Sutil did not "outdrive" Kimi. The speed difference was shattering (literally) at the time of the wreck, and Raikkonen had already been in the pits twice, once for something he wasn't responsible for, and the other time for a mistake he made. Fuel levels mean anything to you?

I'm not even going to comment on the part about Kimi being sub-par in the traction department. He's far and away the fastest pure driver on the grid. There's a reason F1 magazine has him listed as the 8th fastest driver of all f*cking time, and the best of the drivers currently racing.

No one has to thank anyone for Massa "gifting" a win. Massa needs to be thankful he's in a Ferrari, and that he got lucky with his managerial choice. What would have happened had Felipe tried to keep Raikkonen behind him last year at Interlagos? He'd be driving for Force India right now, that's what.

Lastly, don't label me an "arsekisser." Go name-call someone else.

11. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Also, I just realized I bit on your little scheme to get a jab into Raikkonen's driving ability (and throw in a Massa comparo for good measure), even though I was only talking about Kimi's psyche, and Sutil's apparent pre-pubescence.

I don't know how I could be so stupid for responding to your post, but it does just show further proof that the Massa camp are generally the ones who incite the driver wars. Congratulations. Blocked.

12. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    #12 Blue@Heart, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
    WTF? A man has the DRIVE OF HIS CAREER, and you call him pre-pubescent because he breaks into tears after he was taken out THROUGH NO FAULT OF HIS OWN and the competitor who wrecked him finished the race one spot out of the points?!?!?!

I guarantee you that put in the same position driving subpar equipment I too would have done the same in breaking down probably....And I'd venture a guess that I wouldn't be the only one around here.....

13. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the rest of us do :p

oh no, the crazy one has blocked me, boohoo :rolleyes:

MS could come back tomorrow and destroy our little chocolate god

14. moretti

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    old Callides has been a source of amusement for ages dude, he's best put on IGNORE but I don't for the pure comedy relief :D

the tantrum will turn up very shortly from him, talking about pre-pubescent

there are none so blind as those that cannot see ..........

15. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    I think so too. It would seem like massa had a softer set-up for wet conditions and kimi had a bit harder set-up more suitable for the dry conditions. Either way at least one of the driver's would end up in a decent position to try and win. I'm not one to make excuses and that is obviously speculation on my part about the cars, given past performances in mind.

16. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Kimi is a great driver but he is up and down. Since being with Ferrari he has been mostly up. His problem is his drinking on race weeks and it has always been his problem. Its obvious that lately he is off the wagon. Ferrari has to keep a close watch on him or he will never come back. Hes good but he likes the night life too.

17. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I think Sutil proved his point, he has the ability. It is sad that he had the best run of his career ruined by a mistake made by a more experienced driver, and there is no way to criticize Sutil's emotional reaction. Its not like coming out of the tunnel was the first time Kimi used those brakes, or that the exit from the tunnel just became wet. No doubt it was a racing incident, although one caused by momentary brain fade by the WDC. Kimi needs to, and says he will, personally apologize to Sutil. Actually, I would have really felt more sympathy for Raikkonen if he just admitted he screwed up and not blamed cold brakes.

Ferrari management made a guess as to the weather for the entire race, and guessed wrong. That's going to happen. Kimi's car was set up for a dry run, and Massa was on a one stop which gives no opportunity for sudden tire changes due to weather. At least Massa saved the Scuderia's face with a podium. They still lead the WCC which is really all mangement cares about anyway.

This is only one third of the season, Ferrari has time to recover. No doubts here.

18. GERRA456gt

GERRA456gt Formula 3

Jun 4, 2005
    Australia, Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    yes we have seen what can happen in F1,take last year for example with Hamilton.

As for Kimi He had poor race, but i am pretty sure that he will bounce back.

19. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    It is so early in the season that the championship is up for grabs. I expected Kimi to say what he said. It's racing and sometimes it just not fair. I hated to see Sutil lose out today. Hopefully he will realize he can race and do it again and again. It was a barn burner in Monaco today and the best man may not of won but it had to do with luck and tire selection.

20. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    quotes so he sees it.

Telling someone to "get a life" then crying foul when called a "kimi arsekisser"??? Bad form.

I like Kimi as much or more than most and even I agree he boneheaded it today, big time. I am not precisely sure he deserves a penalty... surely you'd have to give one to Alonso too for his move in the hairpin. And lots and lots of other driver would need penalized too for dumb mistakes they have made. I think Kimi is subject to extra criticism because everyone wanted Sutil to score big for once, including me.

21. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    +1 Well said Ron.

22. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    i don't see whats the problem with Kimi's comments. this is racing, and this sort of thing happens. it's not to say Kimi rear ended Adrian on purpose or something like that.

23. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    My exact same thought. Sutil looked devastated in one of the pit shots after the incident but the team follow through with the race officials as proper procedure dictates. Quite a difference from D Patrick puting up a show.

I really feel bad for Sutil, he drove superbly in a lousy car. But in the end is was a racing incident.

24. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    +1 He said he was sorry and would apologize to Adrian when he sees him.
    I guess some think Kimi didn't do an adequately good enough job at compassionately and eloquently expressing his sincere apology. After all, Kimi has such a vast history of being so well spoken when describing his thoughts and feeling concerning virtually anything...especially in his "English" native tounge. I can see their point...:rolleyes:

25. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank

Theres not much more he can or should say. If these guys had to write a letter of appology everytime they had an at fault accident then DC would have to hire a secretary just for that. :)