Hypochondriac | FerrariChat

Hypochondriac

Discussion in '308/328' started by GeoMetry, May 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    As I search these forums for the cures for my cars minor problems I frequently come across a post that describes something that sounds a bit too familiar. It is like trying to self diagnose your own medical problems via the internet, after a few hours of looking up symptoms and causes you could easily convince yourself you are going to die in the very near future.

So today while looking for a solution to my fuel pump issue I ran across a thread discussing overheated cats and running on one bank of cylinders. So first I am impressed that the engine will actually run on one bank of cylinders. Then I think about all the heat that comes off the exhaust system on my car and how recently it doesn't seem to sound like it is running correctly and I start to wonder "Is my car running on one bank?"

Once I sort out the fuel pump issue, how do I make sure it is running on both banks and how do I check to make sure my cat is not clogged?

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Geo,

I saw your other thread stating that your fuel pump was not running. I know you have recently replaced your fuel lines, gas tank removal and such. Have you done any other work other than the fuel system and did it start/run after you sorted out your tanks and fuel lines?

Dan

3. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Everything was working Friday. Drove to work and back with no issues.

4. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    Is it possible it is a battery issue?

5. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    If you are running on one bank you will know it...way down on power...and if you are...don't drive it until you sort it out!

6. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The way down on power thing is a bit hard for me to judge. (My name might give you a clue about the kind of car I am more accustomed to driving) I would say it was some what down on power and it sounds funny, kind of put-putting like an old VW Bug.

7. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I had a loss of power and abnormal exhaust note about 3 weeks ago. Turned out to be a burnt spark plug extender. I found it on the 2nd extender I pulled out. I bought 4 from a local ferrari "junkyard" and was back in business in about 2 hours.

8. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    How would I recognize a bad spark plug extender? I just replaced all the spark plugs and the extenders looked fine to me. On the other hand the spark plug wires look a bit iffy.

9. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
  10. GeoMetry

GeoMetry Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2008
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My extenders are black so it may be a bit harder to see but certainly worth a look.

11. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Richard,

Your car is an '85, yes? QV? If it's a QV, I think the extenders are supposed to be reddish in color, not black. The black ones are for the older 2V cars. Someone else here might be able to comment on that, but if they are wrong, they should be changed.

12. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    #12 desire308, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
    I would check spark and fuel to each cylinder and use the correct extendors. Check the fuel injectors, digiplex units, grounds, etc. It could be anything.