Classiche Application Stories | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Classiche Application Stories

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CornersWell, Apr 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Here is the post on the car from the Alfa Romeo BB other Italian cars section..according to my records, only 1512 Fiat 850 "Racers" were made. This one has US made period speed equipment. Fiat 850 Racers did run at the TF and in the MC rallye, although I don't know what specs they had. There was no Abarth version of this car. I would "guesstimate" this car at 70-75 horsepower and the weight about 1500 pounds wet.

"I have a 1970 Fiat 850S Bertone Racer and it is not slow! Of course it has some very special vintage speed equipment: Astech aluminum 8-port cylinder head with the proper Astech polished aluminum valve cover, Astech aluminum two into four intake manifold with a Weber 40DCOE dual throat sidedraft carb, Astech sport cam, Mondial HC pistons, finned aluminum oil pan, remote oil filter, front & rear radiators, 13 x 5.5 Cromodora Fergat magnesium wheels with Yokohama Avid series tires, Koni shocks, Anza Sport exhaust, and Corbeau Sport seats. It is a never any rust California car with a super bare-metal paint job. It sounds like a Ferrari, it's QUICK, and it's for sale!"

Peter Zobian
    email: [email protected]

2. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Any pictures of the car anywhere?

3. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    DM18 - the car would have to be road registered for Classic Adelaide - as far as I know. A number of current Ferraris ran in one of the event's multifarious classes a couple of years ago, including many wildly enthusiastic Ferrari OC members from around the globe, all looking utterly beautiful in their Prancing Horse-badged fireproofs and gloves and dinky little racing bootees. By the end of the event we - and 'it' - had normalised several of them. Most seemed to enjoy the event immensely. A couple or three who had left common sense - and ability - back home did not. Twenty-foot girth gum trees either side of 140mph curves take few prisoners. But it IS fantastic fun, and with the right approach all comers should adore it.

DCN

4. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  5. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren

Depending on which class you are thinking of entering, the CA organisers can organise a 2 week permit for non registered cars. I have 2 friends here who have driven their unregistered 360CH's in the Competition Sport category. That is for more modern cars that don't fit into any classic race category. The only difference is that they are not officially timed.

Note that there have been several F40's and 288's entered over the years and none of these can be registered in Australia either.

6. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Many thanks. Lots to think about

7. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Many thanks. Really excited to get to work on a strategy when I get back to HK. Seems easiest to get myself a HK registered car. My Daytona is HK registered but I don't think it is the optimal weapon.

8. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    As I'm sure Mr Nye would agree, the people in Adelaide really appreciate the classics, especially when people are prepared to ship them around the world for us to see and hear. You would be made most welcome in the Classic Adelaide Rally.

9. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Many thanks. I am hard at work on a plan!

10. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    I certainly do agree with Waz's remark above. The only exception we have encountered in ten years of running 'raris in Oz was a splendidly feisty little lady who came steaming into a filling station behind us, stamped over to the car and bawled at me (the passenger, 'cos I was sitting on the side she normally associates with the driver) "I'm reportin' you to the perlice - you bloody Poms come over 'ere thinkin' you still own the blardy plice - usin' all our petrol AND all the blardy road! You come past me back there doin' a good two 'undred mile an hour! Don't you realise you buggers are too OLD ter be drivin' like that!".

Errr - quite Madame, quite....

DCN

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Hope you did the right thing and bought her (another) Beer:)

12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Too Much!
    CH

13. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You can get "event permits" that allow such cars to be legally driven in the event.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    If a car has FIVA papers it can get temporary plates for the Historic Targa Florio as well.

15. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Can someone direct me to a post or where I can get information on the two crushed Maserati's? Sounds like quite an interesting story.

Ferrari's desire to control many aspects of the ownership of "their" cars new and old irks me. Strong arming new owners to sell their cars back to the dealership, having to take out a loan through Ferrari (needed or not), denying warranty claims on cars with aftermarket exhausts and having appointed themselves judge, jury and executioner on what constitutes a proper vintage Ferrari. I, for one, am turned off to the company and thus the marque due to these controlling actions. Vintage Alfa anyone???

16. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    I heard from a friend who's "in the business" and just returned from the Maranello auction that it's now illegal to sell a vintage Ferrari in Italy without Ferrari certification.
    Any comments?
    Anton

17. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    that is the most absurd thing i have ever heard

18. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Wouldn't surprise me if it were true...

19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    even though we are talking about italy, i find it difficult to believe that a government would require a vehicle be sent back to the original manufacturer and have the seller pay a good amount of money for the the factory to say, "yes, the car is real" so a private transaction could take place.

20. henk4

henk4 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Pieter Melissen
    #220 henk4, May 25, 2008
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
    well, there is point in trying to protect "innocent" people from buying, let's say, a Twyman TR recreation portreting as a real one, irrespective of how good they are. Of course it is caveat emptor, but sellers are sometimes not the nicest people too. It also mans that generally accepted classic Ferraris like the Breadvan and the 712, lt alone all the BBLMs can never be sold in Italy again..... Maybe one would have to offer a "motor vehicle, making use of some Ferrari components"....

21. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    i just got an announcement that this year's Classic Adelaide will be the official celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Daytona. Wish I knew that earlier! Started enquiries to see if I am too late for this year

22. waz356

waz356 F1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2005
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    warren
    Hi, definitely not too late. Contact the Classic Adelaide office as soon as possible to allow them to assist in shipping your car to Adelaide. They will be more than happy to accept your entry and take your money. I’ll look forward to seeing your Daytona on the streets of Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills.

23. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Who was the announcement from?

I'm registered with Ferrari Australia for the (as yet unspecified) 40th celebration and I've received no such advice. Also, the Classic Adelaide website has nothing to say about a connection with Daytonas. The event is run by a commercial promoter, I wouldn't entirely trust their motives.

If you did ship your car down for Classic Adelaide, think about coming 3 weeks earlier and joining the Australian Ferrari club national rally in Sydney 25-28 October. There'll be 10-15 early V12's attending and you'd be most welcome.

24. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I received a booklet in the mail called "Ferrari Asia Pacific - Events 2008" which sets out the information on the Classic Adelaide on pages 22 and 23. Are you sitting down when you read this - Ferrari Asia Pacific informed me that I cannot enroll unless I have a Classiche certificate for my Daytona. Unfricking believable - when did Ferrari set the entry rules for the Classic Adelaide???? My Daytona is completely original except I have AP Racing front calipers and rotors. I absolutely refuse to downgrade to stock (as I actually find having adequate brakes to be rather reassuring) and was denied entry in the Maranello Daytona event as a result. I am finding Classiche's technique of exclusion to be offensive. Australian friends please correct me if it is indeed possible for my Daytona to be denied entry in Classic Adelaide due to my refusal to comply with Classiche's wishes?

25. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Thank you for the heads up.