Need some advice, confused about major service | FerrariChat

Need some advice, confused about major service

Discussion in '308/328' started by mondialrush, May 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mondialrush

mondialrush Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    Hi all, I owned a 1986 mondial cabriolet for about two and a half years and I don't think i handled my ownership in the right way....first off, when I bought the car, it had the engine out major service about 5,000 miles earlier but it had been 6 years, so i decided to go ahead and spend $5,000 for the engine out major....a few other things were done at the time...

but, since, I have read articles from people like michael sheehan who suggests that the idea of doing a major every five years is not really necessary and you could wait up to 10-15 years....

so i probably should not have had the major, especially because i sold the car soon there after...

now, i am interested in a 308 or 328 and I have been reading people say you don't have to pull the engine out on a 328 major service.....

first, is this true.....if it is, is it true on a 308 as well and why don't you have to pull the engine out....

i read a few other threads about how much owners have spent taking care of their 308/328s so i know it can get high if the car has lots of needs...

if someone could comment on the differences in service between a mondial and a 3x8, i really could use the education as to the differences, thanks in advance.....

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    first if the machanic does what hes doing he could do the maj while in the car the only time the engine needs to out is when the heads need to come off,and you better hope that don't happen then the cost goes up,I just had my 308qv major done and the last time it was done was 4 years ago,I've would've waited longer but it was due for fluids,and the water pump went out,so the cost was of that and the engine being torn down for that I just went and got the major done since the waterpump was included in the service,and so was the fluids why pay for that again,were you going to do the work yourself or do you have a shop in mind aready?

3. mondialrush

mondialrush Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    wait, are you saying on a mondial, the engine does NOT have to come out to do the major service? or were you talking about a 308....

i took my mondial to a really experienced ferrari mechanic who removed the engine and took pictures of the full service....

if i bought a 308, i can't do the work myself, so it would have to go to a mechanic, the guy who i took my mondial to no longer works on cars so i would have to find a new mechanic...

4. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    no the engine doen't have to come out the engine on a 308,328,and modial arew the same,and the engine are very easy to work on for the average guy like you and me,its just I don't have all the tools needed nor the time right now so I'm paying someone to do what I could if I had the room and time,good luck,and where are you located?

5. mondialrush

mondialrush Rookie

Nov 2, 2004
    i am in northern NJ

i am looking for the best bang for my buck 308, so i wouldn't really care if its a 2v car....

a guy has a 1980 308 in pa. and says there are $17,000 in receipts from his previous owner but he really can't figure out what all the mechanics scribbles are so i am shying away, the car was just on ebay and he wants a reasonable $22-24,000 - but the car looks average at best.....

6. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    then go get a ppi and spend the $300-$500,and that way you'll know if your passing up a good car a car with issues, there are a few good ferrari machanic's you can trust in that area,go down to the region areas in ferrarichat in your area and ask someone there that can help you I wish I could but I'm in calif.,good luck

7. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    A mondial requires engine removal to do a major properly. If you are just changing belts, it can be done in the car.

8. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    #8 barcheta, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
    Please tell us what on a mondial requires engine removal to service the engine properly? I'd like to know.

Mondialrush, There are a bunch of resources available for you to search for your next Ferrari. Peter Sweeney at Forza Motorports first comes to mind. He's in Connecticut. Phil Tegtmeier at PhilvilleUSA in PA also has a good line on clean cars. Check them out.

http://www.forzamotorsports.com/
    http://www.philvilleusa.com/?SkipClickthroughRecord=TRUE

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Bill Pollard's also in that area and could PPI and do a major on any of the cars discussed here. He's an extremely reputable tech.

As far as the OP's question: no, you don't have to pull the engine to do a major service on a 308 GTB/GTS or 328. The interval for doing this service has been discussed a lot on this site (search on "timing belt"), but I think the 3-5 year schedule makes sense -- and Ferrari issued a TSB specifying three years.

I'm doing my 328's next major later this year, after 3 years, to correct a leaking cam o-ring seal. Frankly, this is a car that will probably be around 20 years from now, either in my garage or elsewhere, so I want it done right. Moreover, it is 21+ years old now, so having a qualified Ferrari tech have a look in/under the engine bay is the proper way to go.

10. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I believe the 3.4 Litre drivetrain absolutely requires it - Mondial Ts. If you've ever seen these engines on a stand, you'd understand why.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    while the mondial does not strictly need the engine out for a service, the 8 thru 3.2 variants. it does have one thing the 3x8 series do not, a removable subframe. it makes the job soooo much easier and faster to drop the subframe and do the major. the 3x8 require a bit more work to remove as the motor comes out the top, so it's an engine in.

12. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    You're right, I should have been more specific. A 3.4 does require it. I've just never heard of it on a 3.2 or 3.0 Mondial. I also wasn't aware that the Mondials had a removable subframe. I only thought that started with the 3.4 cars. Interesting.