What's the deal with Zonda's in the US? | Page 23 | FerrariChat

What's the deal with Zonda's in the US?

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheBigEasy, Apr 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pagani16

Pagani16 Formula 3

Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal(San Diego)
    Full Name:
    Jason T.
    It's not that easy..............

2. Clubsport78

Clubsport78 Formula 3

Sep 7, 2005
    D-Nbg
    Full Name:
    Marco A.
    Especially on a Zonda.

3. cnadton

cnadton Rookie
    BANNED

May 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Sherlock
    please elaborate....

aside from emissions crap

4. Clubsport78

Clubsport78 Formula 3

Sep 7, 2005
    D-Nbg
    Full Name:
    Marco A.

Five.
    Cinq.
    Cinco.
    Funf.

;)

5. Italteen3

Italteen3 Formula 3

Oct 14, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Either of you know if any Zonda Fs made it state side?

6. Pagani16

Pagani16 Formula 3

Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal(San Diego)
    Full Name:
    Jason T.
    The only one in North America Resided in Brazil.

7. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    Getting a little back on topic, I know this thread is old but I remember a bunch of years back (5-7) there were two silver Zondas at the Reading Concours in Pa.

8. jmn

jmn Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    jmn
    This is incorrect. If you are found to have separated and rejoined a car in this manner and used the EPA kit car policy, car is confiscated and you are fined up to $25k. You must source the engine and transmission separately, and you still need to satisfy all state and local emissions/safety laws. The EPA kit car policy is on their website and is pretty clear.

9. bgck13

bgck13 Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2007
    Somewhere
    Hate to dig this up but check out the RIng times. All of your beloved Euro Flappy Paddle Girly Cars got raped by an $80k Nissan, a $100k Viper, and a $110k Vette. Period. I have never been in a ZOnda but I have been in several Ferrari's and Lamborghini's and while they do in fact look very pretty, the do not compare to the durability of a viper, vette, or GTR. My buddies 430 is a bad ass car but it is very clear it is handbuilt once you examine it...in a good way and in a bad way. Don't even get me started on Lamborghini. When I rode in the gallardo i Felt like I could rip any part of the car out with my bare hands without tugging very hard. They may look good and they may have better fit and finish...but for some reason or another every year foreign cars (expensive) top the list of consumer reports least reliable. What I am getting at is the sheepish "hate on America" attitude is getting old. It is hip right now to hate America, and it is hip to drive foreign cars. We are all auto enthusiasts (at least one would assume), and any reasonable person should be able to appreciate the outstanding attributes each individual car has to offer...instead of ignorantly generalizing and bashing. I appreciate what the American cars have to offer and I appreciate what the Foreign cars have to offer. I also appreciate how the viper raped Lemans so badly (when it was FACTORY backed) that they basically couldn't penalize it enough to make it slow enough to lose. Weight penalties, tire restrictions, air restrictors, etc. If these European cars were so superior to the American cars, one would think in racing it would be the Euro cars with the restrictions to level the playing field.... right??? Oh yeah. I just remembered. If we don't restrict the American racers there will be no competition.

Let's not forget where the world LEARNED to build their automobiles. Japanese? They modeled their system off of ours. Germans? THeir engineers are good but not any better than what we have here. If anyone honestly thinks we don't build good quality cars because we can't, you have serious issues with your perception of reality.

Sorry for the rant. Just tired of Americans kissing the whole world's ass. I have traveled and I have seen the backwards ass societies all over Europe and South America. Let me just say that we are no more screwed up than you are. You just hate us because we are on top (or were). I am looking forward to the next superpower to take the reins so all the hatred can shift elsewhere.

Nothing personal intended here.

10. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Very intelligent...

11. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    anyone have any info or photos of the new Pagani?

12. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Which new Pagani; the R, the Cinque or do you mean the C9? The R is the only one that is out and available for pictures at the moment, the other two dont exist as i write this! if that helps.

13. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I am talking to the C9.

14. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    The C9 haven't even started any rumors yet!

One thing is clear though: It will NOT be an entry model like F430/California or Gallardo.

15. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #566 alan, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok im still very confused by all this talk of a one off Zonda F being presented at Geneva in Cinque livery that all the inteternet talk says is not an actuall Cinque.

The car in these pics looks very very very much like a real Cinque to me, have the internet chit chat people got it wrong? Please explain why this is not a Cinque. It matches exactly the photoshop pictures of the the Cinque that circulated last year. That car was not as long or as low as an R, as many people claim the Cinque will be, Surely this is a Cinque!!??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Sir Robbins

Sir Robbins Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    In a house
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Rapper Jermaine Dupree is said to have one and VRAlexander has confirmed on the Zonda forums on bringing a Zonda F that's US spec to the USA

17. andy6789

andy6789 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Milwaukee Wi
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Wyclef Jean had a Pagani Zonda C12S, Dupree never did.

18. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    US spec F? what does that mean? did they have to redo crash structure, new cats and exhaust, etc, etc? hmm...

19. ExoticSpotter

ExoticSpotter Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2008
    Don't worry about him...

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Isn't VRAlexander the guy who had the black carrera GT that he claimed was his but actually the car isn't his?

(my apologies if he said he never owned the car from the beginning)

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Wrong on just about every level. I don't know why you think everyone hates America. It's simply not true.

American cars do suck, except for some flagship models. Design, quality, size, etc. all suck. Put a big motor in anything and gear it right and of course it will go fast. That does not prove anything. I don't know why Americans cannot build good quality cars, but it is true that don't. The Germans and Japanese may have modeled their system on the American system early on, but by the 70s were way ahead. To make the comparison now is simply ridiculous. As for consumer complaints, I would need to see those numbers adjusted for number of purchases in each category, what the complaints are about, etc., etc. before generalizing like you did. Everybody thinks Japanese and German cars are of superior quality. Surely that didn't come out of thin air because everyone in America is on a "bash America" kick. Gallardo build quality is better than Viper build quality any day, not to mention the engineering in the car. I have seen the factory diagrams for Viper manufacture, and a local mechanic could not believe the primitive nature of the chassis. He redid a customer's crashed chassis to a higher spec than the factory, and it was cheaper than the replacement cost of the factory junk.

I don't know where you traveled, but certainly you can't be claiming to have been everywhere and seen everything. And if you think Ferrari or BMW or Lexus are inferior to America brands, you definitely need more seat time in the cars.

22. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #573 FerrariF50lover, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    I forgot "factory junk" beats numerous high end cars around the ring. If Im not mistaken
    the ZR1 has basically enzo brakes and very high tech magnetic suspension. America had years where they were sleeping in thw quality department. Sales numbers show that, and they also show now America's finally getting it right.

Cars his he was called out on it and proved it was his car.

23. Scuderia980

Scuderia980 F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2006
    Mountains--Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave S. V
    i'm actually really curious. is this 'factual'??? i've always thought/heard the Zonda would need a lot of reworking because of US emissions and crash regulations..and that they were so limited in numbers it would not be 'economically feasible'... did VR actually get it done? or he has one but keeps it in Europe? i love his CGT...if he actually has the F, i hope that it makes 'Supercars Exposed' or something like that..never tire of seeing the Zonda...

24. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Emissions: Passing levels can be achieved through "strangling" the motor enough. Not ideal, but doable, and that's how they do it for the purposes of federalizing supercars not designed for the US from the get go.

Safety - for very limited production cars, they can apply for exemptions, although there are a few things that cannot be exempted. Exemptions expire, so it can only be for small production batches over a limited period. This is how the Elise was federalized, it was given an exemption for a few items. NHTSA's website has the details.

Zonda's case: So far as I know, they have not been federalized. I believe they just chose not to pursue it because of the documentation headaches and liability it would create. The rest of the world market is big enough for them.

That means any Zonda in the US is here under temporary import (foreign citizens can do this), registered through questionable paperwork in states with lax enforcement, or brought in for museum display, or brought in for track use and private roads only. Zondas are not eligible for Show and Display status. NHTSA's website has the details.

Once in the country, to drive such cars on the public roads, people do all sorts of things--drive on trade plates, switch VINs, switch paperwork, simply take it on the road in areas where they feel it's safe to do so, etc.

It's all legal unless your lawyers suck.