did ferrari use clearcoat in 1992 | FerrariChat

did ferrari use clearcoat in 1992

Discussion in '348/355' started by speedtrapp, May 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedtrapp

speedtrapp Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2007
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Well I screwed up-I went for a nice ride yesterday and put the top behind the seats looked at the space from the rear seats to the top theres plenty of room I said, no problem.. wrong!!! when I get out of the car I like to slide the seat back a little and ca-pow so now theres a little dimple from the oversize screw they put on the bottom of the seat. Its not all the way through the top coat of paint. I ordered the touch up paint. However my question is does anyone know for sure if they (Ferrari) used a clear coat in 1992? I am hopeing maby I can build up the dimple with touch up paint and polish it down to the colorcoat for a seamless repair otherwise its to the paint shop. So the lesson for all you new TS owners is go to the home depo and buy the table/chair felt things that they use to protect the floors and put them on all the screws on the rear seat and dont worrie about what they look like who cares dont be a j@ckass like me. Read and learn from the guys on this site. Dont make my mistake!!

2. potxoli

potxoli Formula 3

Mar 22, 2007
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Eric B.
    my TS has clearcoat on the main body and is a 1990. but if I understand you correctly it is your targa top that got hit by the seats when stored back there? AFAIK, 1992 TS models had a black not painted targa top, so if yours is painted it was done sometime later and not at the factory. Odds are it has a clearcoat.

3. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Rub some polish in an inconspicious place.

Color on the rag = no clear coat.

No color on the rag = clear coat.

4. F512M

F512M Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Lawrence
    Mine does not have clear coat. It is a 92 built in mid 91. I also have dinged my top. :( When I have it repainted I plan to put some 3M film on it to help protect it some.

5. speedtrapp

speedtrapp Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2007
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    my car is a 1993 made in 1992 thanks for the information fellas..

tommy