Adventures with interior detailing (lots of pics!) | FerrariChat

Adventures with interior detailing (lots of pics!)

Discussion in '360/430' started by zippyslug31, May 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    (After re-reading my story, sorry if it sounds like an ad. I’m not a product shill, but just a guy who was happy with the results of a few products I used.)

Over the long memorial day weekend I took the opportunity to address something that has bothered me for some time. From the outside, my 360 has always looked great, but the interior of my car showed the signs of fairly heavy use and a lack of detailed cleaning by previous owners. The pours of the tan trim leather were dirty, the aluminum trim had a few greasy handy prints, the carpets haggard, and the worse part….. the seats looked flat-out old and dirty.

I’m probably making this sound worse that it really was, but it was just one of those things that only the owner himself would ever really notice, and it got the better of me.

Since we are not experiencing “full-time driving weather” as of yet, it wasn’t a problem having it out of commission for several days. I started with pulling the seats out of the car so I could apply a full course of Leatherique treatment. If you have never done this, I’ll just add that seat removal is easy (although power Daytonas can be rather cumbersome to lug around) and that even though the Leatherique process takes some time and energy, the results were VERY good!

I did two full Leatherique applications; the first was to simply apply the oil, let sit overnight, and then cleaned the next day. After this first “quick” application I started seeing results so it encouraged me to whip out the big guns and do a full 48 hours sitting with the oil, in 90 degrees, with plastic wrap cover the oil-applied areas. After this I cleaned them thoroughly and was very happy that I took years of use off of the seats.

Seats before; the leather fairly dried out allowed creases and wrinkles, which then allowed lots of dirt to set –
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Seats soaking –

Seats after –

While the seats were soaking I turned my attention to the dash and door panels. As I did on the seats, I applied a nice coating of the Rejuvenating Oil product and covered them with plastic.

While the various items sat under wraps, I next focused on all that leather trimmed out on the inside of the car. Had a few greasy finger prints and generally it was dirty in places. While it probably wasn’t the best for my leather, I found that a general-purpose household cleaner did a great job removing the dirt. This left the leather somewhat dry feeling but I had planned to finish it all off with a conditioner anyway.
    Since I didn’t have enough the Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil stuff left to do the entire inside, I tried what some others say is good: Lexol. This was MUCH easier to use, too…. pretty much just shot some onto a rag, wiped it down, let it set for a few, then wiped it mostly dry.

While the results are a little tough to see in the shots, it turned out nice and clean with a nice glow (but not cheap “Armor-All shiny”) throughout the cabin.
    Before (notice the surface dirt) –

After –

Next it was the lower half of the car’s turn. I noticed that the dealer prep on this car, when it was new, must have been pretty minimal. They had left lots of shipping plastic over the carpets throughout (many spots were plainly visible) so I spent some time and picked off all of this wrap off. I found no less than 10 individual locations in the cabin that they must have pulled this shipping plastic off, and where it tore they simply left it. Pretty unimpressive.

One example of the plastic wrap, between seat mounts –

After the plastic was removed I snooped into my wife’s cleaning supplies and found something called a “magic eraser”. These are a type of sponge cleaner that you get slightly wet and scrub away. Gave it a try to the aluminum trim and they turned out great! Followed this up with some more general-purpose cleaner and Lexol to the e-brake boot and center console coin tray.

Carpet plastic removed and the center console looking like it just came from the factory –

Since the seats were out, I also gave the carpet a quick steam clean. No pictures, but the water pulled from the carpets looked like coffee! It probably could have used a second cleaning, but I was running out of steam by this time.

After this, I pulled off the plastic from the dash and door panels and gave them a cleaning. Based on this result, I think its much better to leave the Leatherique for seats where you can fully massage the oil in. The tight leather on the dash and door panels didn’t honestly look that much different. This the light tan on the panels, and lower half of the dash, showed lots of grit, I spent the effort to whip out the general purpose cleaner, tooth brush, and micro fiber towels and went to town. After clean up I Lexol’d the whole mess and they, too, look great.

Again, the pictures don’t do justice to the before/after, but here are the arm rests…
    Before -

After -

Finally got the car reassembled and even gave the shift knob a nice polish. Pictures of the final product ….

It’s amazing that when you focus on the small details like dirty, dulled light-colored leather and you clean/condition it all….. the end results are pretty dramatic when you put it all back together.

The heroes of the story (along with a toothbrush, steam cleaner, and about a million rags & towels) –

The whole thing was a lot of work; almost as much as writing up my story. I’m glad I did it though and it just makes the car even nicer to me.
    PHEW, I’m exhausted; time for a cold frosty one as I think I’ve earned it.

2. MercedesSL600Man

May 20, 2005
    Broomfield, CO
    Full Name:
    BC
    That looks great, awesome job. I did that on my E38 yesterday. The magic eraser did wonders for my grimey black steering wheel! The eraser was completely black by the time I was done, and it was the extra strength one!

3. stitch

stitch Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2008
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Truly impressive.

4. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    wow man night and day difference.. good work

5. campbell53

campbell53 Karting

Oct 5, 2006
  6. arcticsilver997

arcticsilver997 Karting
    Owner

Oct 27, 2007
    Northern California
    Great work and write up.

7. 483hp

483hp Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    www.fca.alberta.com
    Very nicely done!

8. OKA

OKA Karting

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great work. BIG difference, that baby looks great now.

9. luv2detail

luv2detail Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2006
    North Carolina & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Nice work! Leatherique is the best.

And you're not alone on the shotty dealer prep. Unfortunately I've seen that plastic wrap on plenty of Fcars.:(

10. djastral69

djastral69 Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Fl
    Full Name:
    David
    Well, after seeing that demonstration from Zippy, I ordered the 32oz kit from Leatherique. I cannot wait to see the results as My leather is in good condition but this product will bring out it's best I'm sure!

11. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Nice work.........the change in leather is really impressive.

12. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    WOW!!!!! The change in seat appearance is truly impressive!!!!! Great job!

Thanks for the write up!

By the way, get a black interior next time and you won't even notice the dirt! LOL!

Robert

13. LamboBully

LamboBully Karting

Apr 24, 2007
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Full Name:
    Brett Keller
    Haven't had alot of interiors in that looked like that. The change is AMAZING!!! Awsome job!!!

14. rberg32

rberg32 Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    Wow! Great pix.. thanks for the detailed write up! Very helpful!

15. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Yes, good move on the larger bottle. Mine pictured is the 16 oz size and even though I had enough for 2 rounds on both seats, I would have liked more left over (pictured is what is left over).
    And the Pristine Clean stuff..... my jury is still out on that product. At first I wasn't even sure if it was going to remove the heavy sticky mess left over after the oil had time to do it's job. But, it did cut the grime pretty quickly though. Reminds me of Armor-All Low Luster stuff to be honest. If you plan on using the Pristine Clean, even if you only bought 16 oz of the oil, I would still buy the 32 oz of the cleaner since I found that I was using mine sparingly and wish I had more to clean the seats better.

16. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
  17. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    I use this on my leather and it is also fantastic. I'm not sure if it's available in the States though.

18. masar

masar Formula 3

Aug 19, 2007
    Czech republic
    Full Name:
    Petr
    Amazing job, thanks for posting.

19. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Great job, the seats looks almost new.

20. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Looks like a LOT of work, but the results seem well worth the effort.

Thanks for the before/after shots.

Frank

21. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    wow, looks great , that's some dedication to take the seats out...

22. AP2TUDE

AP2TUDE Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Edwards
    Excellent turn around.

Leatherique really is the best, the stuff is magical.

For everyone out there, a really good alternative to the all purpose cleaner that he used is a mixture of Woolite and water. Mix 6 parts of water to 1 part of woolite. It is a little bit more gentle and won't tend to strip as many oils from the leather as a generic all purpose cleaner can.

23. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Great job !

You really did a beautiful job. I have been using leagtherique products for a long time and I agree they are the best. I havent used the plastic. How does the plastic work ? What type of plastic did you use ?

Regards,

Stew

24. RedRacer

RedRacer Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Redracer
    Good work!

25. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    Read it off the web (as linked somewhere here on f-chat.... do a search on leatherique). From what I recall the article saying, the plastic forces the oil into the hide instead of allowing it to dry up. This is really intended more for the "leave it sitting on the seats for a few days in warm temps"-type of procedure.
    I figured why not try it since the seats were already out and I was in no hurry. I feel this made a tremendous difference in the final results.

And what kind? Believe it or not, it's simply some generic food grade plastic cling wrap that you could liberate from your kitchen. Nothing fancy about it at all. You just want to make sure it will cling to the seats so the oil has nowhere to go but down into the pours of the leather. It's a seemingly silly step, but I really encourage you to go this extra (easy) mile.