Stranded! Well...sort of? | FerrariChat

Stranded! Well...sort of?

Discussion in '308/328' started by PittsS2APilot, May 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yesterday I drove down to the local store and was inside for about 45 minutes. Came out and the car would not start. It would just turn over and I'm thinking fuel starvation and pump failure? It was dark and I didn't have what I really needed to trouble shoot but I was able to verify, the fuse and relay to the fuel pump were good. I knew there was a trouble shooting proceedure for the pump but of course it was at home and I was about 5 miles away in a parking lot. I couldn't remember where the airflow safety switch was located (next to the bellows I now see) or how to jumper the relay (now I have the diagram). I was able to pull the fuse to that annoying buzzer and turn on the key to see if I could hear the pump start but could not hear it. I'm 1/2 deaf anyway so I don't ever recall hearing the pump come on since I've had it. After about 30 minutes and 10 attempts at starting, I removed the key (don't know why) and re-inserted it. Varoom....she started. I drove home like a bat out of hell and made about 5-6 starts in the garage with no problems. I don't hear the fuel pump so I guess its very quiet or I'm 90% deaf but it starts as normal without me hearing anything. Anybody have any thoughts on this one? I don't know if the ignition key harness has a connection to the electrical for the pump? I can't get it to duplicate what happened with the key so I can trouble shoot. Everything is working right now so Im open for suggestions. Joe

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Joe have you redone the fuse blocks?

The failing fuel pump will melt the base of the fuse block where the bullet fuses will get loose or even fall out!

I'd start there first, after a long tow home once I jammed a tester in the line side of the pump fuse only to here it crank right up!

If you don;t go with Birdman's alternates I have good luck just replacing the oEM blocks and driving on....you do want to check the draw on the circuit though as it'll rise dramatically with a failing pump.....

3. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The older carb cars have a seat microswitch in the driver's seat, interlocked to the key on/pump circuit ...I have hailed a cab home form this once also when the jumper wire came loose....I think this is N/A on your injected car though.......

4. PittsS2APilot

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Tex, I have the updated fuseblocks so that's not an issue. I just find it strange that it fired right off after I re-inserted the key? Joe

5. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Stranded last year and cause was loose battery ground. Car turned over fine.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think you could have a crack in a connector that gets hot, and then as it cools off then makes a connection... you should not hear the fuel pump, on an injected car, on a carb car I'm not sure. when the key is on, the pump will only work when the starter is engaged. I had the same intermittent problem and I had a cracked connector in the passangers foot well. I would check there and with your connnections in the back under the trunk. ( Pass. side...) look for brown or blackend connections. I suspect you will find one there.

Tom

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    On the carbed cars you hear the pump for the 30 -45 seconds you wait for the bowls to fill, when cold, there is a wide disparity of volume in the various brands though......

I guess it's possible you reset a control item in the injection start secquence with the restart?

On the carb cars the key only engages the starter one time, if it doesn;t catch you return it totally off then try again.

Also do not attempt repeated restarts without letting the starter cool down...crank up to a minute then let it rest a brief period.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Hot start problems are common on the 308s.
    After replacing the fuel accumulator (no help) a local shop found my problem: intermittent fuel pump.
    The symptoms were drive the car to it was Normal Operating temperature or warmer.
    Park the car for about 10 minutes.
    Come back & It cranked fine, but would not catch.
    15 minutes later, and much turning over, it would finally catch.
    quickly shut it off & turn it over again & it caught.

9. PittsS2APilot

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    GOt home yesterday and the car started normally. I drove it for about 30 minutes and parked back at home. I let is set for about 45 minutes and tried to start. Just turns over. I pulled the plug wire on #1 and checked it. Its firing the plug so its not electrical. I Pulled the safety switch connector at the fuel distrbution and it still would not start. I jumpered the fuel relay with same results. It was dark, I was hot so I left it. After sitting all night, it started right up this morning but I had to go to work so I'm going to trouble shoot more tonight. Any suggestions will be helpful. Joe

10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I still say you have a connector that is cracked ... something that is temp sensitive.... wire insulation. my guess is its going to be some simple thing once you find it. good luck!!! I've been there my self its so frustrating.

11. PittsS2APilot

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Forgot to mention. My car is a 1980 GTBi 2v. I have found a lot of theads on the 328's but Im sure the wiring and connectors will be different on the 2v's? Joe

12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Could be in the ignition switch itself. Maybe the connector.

13. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    Is the fuel accumulator the original one? That may be the cause. You could replace the pump and the accumulator at the same time and get that out of the equation. My money are on the accumulator, however.