MEGA THREAD : PORSCHE VS. NISSAN : New GTR : 7:15 around the Nurburgring? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

MEGA THREAD : PORSCHE VS. NISSAN : New GTR : 7:15 around the Nurburgring?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Akira, May 10, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QT3141

QT3141 Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2006
    And I thought most of the "facts" that shoddy little article was based on have been discredited, e.g. the tyres that Nissan was running on (NOT cut slicks, but standard run-flats), and most egregiously the claim that "proper" timed laps are done from a standing start (they are not). Failing to see the obvious bias and piss poor journalism of that article only reveals the bias and/or lack of discernment of the reader who believes it to hold any merit.

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Whatever you say, I can't decide if I should call you a fanboy or tool? I know, both!

3. JChoice

JChoice Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    JC
    The GT-R beat both the Z06 and the Porsche Turbo by 2 seconds at Buttonwillow. 2 seconds HUGE on that course.

4. SS2012

SS2012 Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    I don't think anyone thinks the GT-R can beat the Zonda or Carrera GT performance wise. Then again remember this is a true everyday supercar. It's got 4 seats, a big boot, reliability and performance. Also, I don't think the GT-R dominates 3/4 of the Porsche line-up, it's more like 9.9/10 of the Porsche line-up. There are basicly 2 cars on the Porsche lot that can go head to head with the 'base model' GT-R - GT2 (very few out there) and Carrera GT (no longer in production). Not that it's anything worth bragging about, since most Porsche on the road these days seem to be overweight SUV's.

5. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I believe it beat em by 4 seconds, not 2.

6. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Not sure about what it can do to a GT2, but I would also include the GT3/RS and possibly the Turbo as competitors, since both those models have still been able to stay close to the GT-R on certain tracks.

7. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    The truth...

The truth about the GT-R is that it is SERIOUSLY fast, slightly overpriced for putting up with it's looks (subjective) and has people talking.

8. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    #358 Akira, May 26, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
    Here is FACTS straight from Nissan GTR engineers and their test driver. But I am sure people will still say Nissan is lying...

http://www.drivers-republic.com/news/news_article_14_05_08.cfm

But I think the test driver deserves the credit also.

9. R33

R33 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    Kent,UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Creed
    #359 R33, May 26, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
    Yes it is fast...overpriced?..i actually think slightly underpriced. I think Nissan have undercut the objective market by too much..albeit the better for its followers and numerous pre-orderers. And yes it has certainly stirred the motoring world.:)

Its handling is outstanding, even for a lard of a car (which in all honesty it is), power transfer is faultless and the construction of the car is as purposeful as any Porsche/Ferrari etc could be.
    You can just about slate or pick holes in any production car, but at the same time, you have to look at the facts and integrate that into the whole picture.
    Nissans experience with how to make a brick look graceful as it trashes 99% of its competition on track is not a new thing.
    After meeting the creator of the new GT-R and spending a couple of hours on the phone chatting to the man responsible for earlier generations, you kind of understand what the new GT-R is all about.
    Like it or not it's making waves and busting some balls with other car manufacturers...so lies they are not
    Take a look at the results for the Super GT rounds so far. 3 cars in the top 6 list so far after 3 rounds isn't just luck and that technology doesn't just evaporate..

And as a sidenote, why the hell go buy a G35..? was it just the colour you liked?

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Is that possible? :)

11. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Why the venom toward Nissan? In your last 10 posts on the subject you have thrown out one liners about them lying. One last chance: What did they do to you that you feel qualified to say that they are lying? Some Nissan exec steal your lunch money?

12. GoodWood

GoodWood Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    SE Florida/Indiana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #362 GoodWood, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    Read it for yourself, bottom of the page. Steve Millen's own page says the GTR was in fact 5 seconds faster than both the Z06 and the Porsche tt around the Buttonwillow course.
    http://www.stillen.com/project_vehicles/gtrsilver/nissan_gt-r_road_track.asp

As for the GTR being huge, it really only weighs about 100 lb more than the Porsche tt, and have you ever seen a Vette, I have one, and it's physical size is huge, with an enormous turning circle.
    As for the styling of the GTR, I'll be better prepared to opine on that when mine arrives in a few months. Which, btw, I got for a 5k premium and only just ordered it 1 month ago. It is a bit odd looking in some ways, but I've never bought a car primarily for it's looks. I've always bought them for their performance potential first and foremost. Besides, you only see the hood while driving anyway, right?

13. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why all the hate for Nissan? They are doing the same thing that they have always done....use better technology to compete (even beat) the worlds best at a better price.

The Nisan GtP car finally beat Porsche 962 in the 80s. Pure Domination.

300zx Twin turbo put the 944 turbo and Corvette c4 out of business. (it probably was soley responsible for improving the Corvette) It did all of this by using 4 wheel steering, twin turbos, twin intercoolers, variable valve timing, coil on plug ignition, 4 valve heads, etc. None of this was used in the early 90s until nissan brought it to the market. This is how they work to accomplish their goals.

The Corvette seems to stick with their guns...bigger displacement, pushrod motor. I personally think the Z06 is unbelievable. I love it. More of a drivers car to me than the Nissan. I even like the fact that Chevy has a racing platform to develop this car.

But with all of this.....they still aren't Ferraris!!! The sound, the feel, the magic. To me a track time doesnt put the smile on my face as much as the experience the Ferrari offers.

Disclaimer...I own a zxTT, porsche 930, and 308qv all for diff reasons. zx is fast (moded) but is such a great comfortable road car. 930 has back seats for the kids...the ferrari is the go cart and my favorite....even though it would get crushed by the other 2...

14. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The truth is the GT-R is a very fast, great handling car that is an even better bargain than the Zo6 ... it even has a small back seat ... it is a tad heavy though.

15. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    LOL

16. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt

+1

17. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    And this guy has not only a 997 Turbo but also a very badass 997 GT2.

18. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
  19. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    I don't know why that's surprising, Edmunds gets absolutely horrid times for all domestics. Far below other testers. When you test a C6 Z06 in the 12's...you've lost all credibility.

20. ricambiitalia

ricambiitalia Rookie

May 29, 2008
    I drove it, a japanese 911 Turbo

21. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Car & Driver did a comparison test - Porsche 997 TT, GTR, BMW M3.

They rate the M3 top car. Porsche has the acceleration figures, GTR has the cornering power, but BMW had the real-world balance and cost factor.

Two points of reality mentioned - the GTR does feel pretty bulky and heavy most of the time on the road, and it's transmission can deliver some almighty clunks and grunts along the way.

The point could also be made that it will be years before one of these sells for even the list price of a Z06 Corvette.

22. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
  23. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Saw it and thought it was an interesting test...sent the test to a 997TT owner/friend and he agreed with the comments; that said he regrets getting rid of his ZO6 for the 997TT and is now considering a ZR1 depending on markups, etc...

24. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS