GT-R, ZR1, 911 - Sit down and play w/ your 0-60/Nring times - NO ONE CARES!!! | FerrariChat

GT-R, ZR1, 911 - Sit down and play w/ your 0-60/Nring times - NO ONE CARES!!!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, May 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I love all of these posts comparing various models to Ferrari track and speed times. It's pointless - NO ONE CARES!!!

I took the 355 out for a spin today for the first time in 6 months. As I was cruising down the 405 I realized that I was driving a car that was designed and engineered 15 years ago. That's a long time in today's ever changing world. And yet the car elicited so much attention it put a smile on my face. I had stalkers trying to get up close to follow me all the while warding off other stalkers who wanted to slip in behind me. I had Saleen mustangs and rice rockets that wanted to race me, etc. If you've driven a Ferrari you know the attention I am talking about.

Now, pretend it's 15 years from now in 2023. Do any of you think that a 2008 GT-R/ZR1/911 are going to garner anyone's interest? Do you really think anyone will remember the Nring times of today? NO. But they will warm up to the sight of a 2008 430/599.

So go on and get a woody for whatever times get posted and compared to today's Fcars. Once you get them on the road. No one will care. What really matters is the passion that Ferrari inspires. Whether it's happy-passion that elicits a thumbs up from other drivers or hater-passion from jealous people. No car elicits passion from the general public like Ferrari. Passion cannot be measured with a stop watch but it can be measured from experience.

Speed and performance are just a small part of what makes a car. Design, history of the marquee, exclusivity and many other factors determine the quality of a car.

If track times mattered to me, I would buy an Ariel Atom. But I drive on public streets. So I drive a Ferrari.

2. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  3. jetfixr

jetfixr Formula 3

Jun 14, 2007
    northeast
    Full Name:
    Gone

EXCELLENT POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    +1

Art

5. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hard to say. New ferraris are going to be as common as porsche 911s soon so 15 years from now some of the "exoticness" will be gone forever. The 355 however (which is arguably better looking than any 430) will always be a sight to see.

6. Akira

Akira Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    #6 Akira, May 29, 2008
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
    But Ferrari is special because it has the looks, luxury, and performance to back it up. If Ferrari starts to get behind other cars on the performance sector, it will just be another Austin Martin, Bentley, Maserati, etc. They are all nice, but it doesn't have the racing/performance image of Ferrari.

Truth is that Ferrari will sell every single car they make no matter what. Even if Ferrari pulled out from F1 and never make another car like Enzo, they will be fine. But their image will lean more towards GT cars rather than Sports car.

I just think Ferrari shouldn't ignore the competition no matter where it comes from. I am sure if the Lambo made a car that can out run Ferrari in every aspect, people expect Ferrari to answer. And I can assure you that very first GTR, GT2, and ZR1 will be bought by people wearing "Ferrari" hats for session of reverse engineering and tear down. (Common practice for every car company)

7. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    That is 100% false....

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice post Jerry. :):)

9. SteveBalance

SteveBalance Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Source?

10. JohnLClark

JohnLClark Karting

May 15, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Good thread. These days most people put so much stock in those numbers, that they totally disregard how the car drives and feels. A prime example of this is in the latest Car and Driver. There is a comparison test of the 911 turbo, M3, and the GT-R. Even though the GT-R is faster they gave the overall win to the M3. I am sure there will be those irate fans who write in, and whine my favorite was faster, yet it didn't win. I'm glad to see Car and Driver looked beyond the hype. Good thing they didn't judge solely on style, or the ugly GT-R would finish far behind. It's like the old saying " you can make a fast pig, but it's still a pig".

11. Hexnut72

Hexnut72 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2006
    Maybe they care because they actually drive their cars???

Just bustin your chops. Most cars do not get the attention of a Ferrari because they are not as special. I still perk up when I see a nice (not riced out) 3rd gen RX-7 or Supra Turbo. I imagine that in 15 years it will be the same with the GT-R

12. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    I suppose this is all true - the Ferrari marquee is more than track stats. But, if I hear the words "passion", "soul' and "Ferrari" too many more times in the same sentence I may very well puke:)

13. DaudiW.

DaudiW. Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2006
    Europe & USA
    Full Name:
    William David

Honestly,

in 15yrs a 355 will stil do what it does today, possibly BETTER than a 430. The 599 having a version of the enzo motor will be closely regarded as one of the best Ferraris ever built - but i think the ability for Ferraris to inspire passion is fueled by the fact that they are not to everyone's disposal. They're known as art pieces more than transportation devices. Some look at them as expensive toys and when two Ferraris are joined, there is an agreement bewteen the two drivers, track or street (but mostly street) - "cheers to owning a prancing horse, welcome to the club". There is hardly less followship with Porsche drivers let alone Bmw drivers (on the street).. All for the same reason - disposability. Its simply easier to get a Porsche GT3 than it is to get a Ferrari 355 Challenge for example. Easier to own that GT3 and easier to live with as well. BMW have tried to make the CSL more exotic by making it less available, but in the end, it is still looked at as an M3 (in your eyes) despite what it can do on a track. . .

It depends on how you define passion... There are bare passionate Porsche drivers who share more passion on the track than the street.. But apparently there are more passionate Ferrari drivers who share the same passion on the street alone.

That should tell you abit about the two when it comes to focus. Porsches have always been more of the driver's car, but times are slowly changing inwhich Ferrari are/have produced a better track car than Porsche (430 S v 997GT2) - but again, the GT2 is more of a drivers car compared. . .

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The GT-R is a product of the times, the 355 is timeless.

15. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    It's reassuring to know that there are still people who drive Ferraris out of a desperate need for attention (note sarcasm).

People buy what they want to based on what they want it to do. Some people want a car that represents the state of the art in technology and performance, some people want a car that comes loaded with heritage and passion, and some want a car simply because it looks nice. To each his own, I say. There is no right or wrong here, the ZR1, GTR, and 911 Turbo/GT3/etc are all amazing automobiles and there is as much of an enthusiast backing for each as there is for Ferrari.

In addition, there is something to be said for a car that is a bit of a "sleeper," so to speak. A car that can be driven daily with no drama, no camera phones pointed at it, nobody hassling the owner at every gas fillup regarding the car's top speed or how much it cost. I love my 246 GTS and plan to keep it through my lifetime, but honestly -- the attention the car gets is the worst part of ownership. I don't mind chatting or helping educate people with a genuine interest, but the impromptu photo shoots, questions about cost and performance, etc get real old REAL fast.

This is one of the reasons I like Porsches so much, actually. Tons of soul, heritage, performance there too, but none of the drama.

I love my Ferrari and I plan to drive/own more in the future. But for very different reasons than the OP mentioned.

But as I said earlier... to each his own.

16. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Stats are what sell cars. I'd challenge anyone to not perk up to some impressive stat on a car that they were thinking of buying or dreaming of buying for that matter.

17. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Well put. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of ZR1, GT-R, Porsche etc. They are amazing cars with plenty to brag about. A lot of my friends are very active drivers of those cars and I could even see adding one of those to my stable at some point in time. My post was directed to those who seem to think that a stopwatch is the be-all end-all of comparisons between cars. This is a Ferrari chat site. I was simply pointing out the Ferrari view of these comparisons.

18. thoang

thoang Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 12, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tuan Hoang
    Excellent post Jerry. The 355 will always be in my mind one of the most beautifully designed Ferraris. It may not have the performance numbers as the current 360 or F430, but it is nonetheless a work of art and engineering.

19. vetconstruction

vetconstruction Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Michael A. Whitlow
    The original post could not have hit the nail on the head any better. For the past 2 months I have read conflicting results of the Nissan vs what ever. Truth be told, I'm not of the generation where the numbers are all that matters. For the price-the Nissan is the worst buy-it suffers from all the things I detest in any car. Cheezy playstation screens and ................ For the money I can invest in a true and tested marque and a few years from now, still get my ass whipped driving off the light but....hands down the Ferrari will always get more respect.

20. Bavarian Motorist

Bavarian Motorist Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2007
    Westchester/NYC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have to disagree slightly.

To car guys and car enthusiasts and even those with a passing interest of cars, yes, Ferrari elicits passion like almost no other.

But to the majority of Ferrari admirers, all Ferrari symbolizes is dollar signs and a cool looking car that draws attention.

21. dkny

dkny Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Full Name:
    dave

I have been wanting to say that for a while, thank you, great post

22. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    You should be ashamed of yourself!! j/k

23. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay

24. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    F430 Spider?

;)

25. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Wut up G?

I guess no one believes in checking profiles before administering shame.