Carrera GT Yay or Nay? | FerrariChat

Carrera GT Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by BlazinBWF, May 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    I have been thinking about buying a Carrera GT, but I am not sure if I would like it or not. Has anyone had any experience driving one?
    I have never had what I would call a "hyper car" before and I just do not know if I would like driving it. I guess the real question is would it be more enjoyable to drive than my F430 which in my opinion is better than any other modern car I have ever driven?

2. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    Out of all the hyper cars the CGT is probably the most raw unadulterated power. Its a whole different experience then your F430 or the Gallardo, think of it more on terms with the F40. Its kind of like drinking a gallon of hemlock igniting yourself on fire, jumping out of a plane over a corn harvester, you dont know how your going through the pearly gates but you can bet it will be really fast and on fire! But all kidding aside its a monster machine, and for the people who like that raw feeling its one of a kind that very few cars can match. BTW the noise is great!

3. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    An unbelievable car but a PITA to drive around town. Very very low and the rear carbon fiber tray is $15K IIRC. I came close to buying one but had a GT3 at the time. I was sick of how careful you had to be on the street with the GT3 and the CGT was lower by quite a bit.

The CGT is the best sports car I've ever driven. It's like cheating on the track.

4. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    it has the best sound of any car. by far.

however, do make sure you are capable of driving this car. i have never tried one but it is well documented that this car can really bite in a matter of a split second if you don't keep the leash real tight on it.

5. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Well I would hope that it is slightly less dangerous than the F40...I have never come across one with out a salvaged title. The CGT is not turbo charged which is what I imagine catches people off guard in a corners with the F40.

I cannot say if I am capable or not. I have been to a number of driving schools, but that said a grandma could drive any of my cars easily with the exception of a Panoz Esperante GTLM that I have with a Ford GT supercharger (600+ BHP and no t/c ) and while it can be a handful I do not think I would ever crash it knock on wood.

6. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Very impractical,totally useless and uncomfortable as daily driver.
    That said,if you get it you will never sell it ,one of the best sports cars ever,irreplacable!

7. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    Well it certainly would not be my daily drive but I would only be using it on roads, no tracks, so I do not know if it would be more fun or more of a headache.

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Buy it and try it. Worst case is you lose a couple grand or maybe just some time trying to sell it. Not a big deal if you can afford it to begin with.

9. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    I suppose that’s true. It would not be the first time I have had a car delivered and then sent it back for something else the next morning.

10. Razzer92

Razzer92 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006
    Its a YAY!!!! for the Carrera GT, if not maybe consider a 599?

11. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    I have not driven the 599 but, no offense to any owners, I do not care for the way it looks. I have considered the Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster but that car is known for having some serious quality problems. Plus if I am going to spend $400k or what ever CGTs are going for these days I want it to be something very different than what I already have.

12. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can get a higher milage CGT (10K) for mid 300's. Probably less than a 599. You may also consider a 997 GT2. Probably very similar in performance to a CGT and slightly more practical, though not nearly as cool.

BTW, you have a hell of a lot of cars. How do you decide which to take out? Though I guess it's not a terrible position to be in ;) Also, I noticed you were on the list for the SL65 Black Series. Any ETA on that? Has a really awesome design. Getting closer and closer to the CLK DTM look, which I love.

13. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    #13 BlazinBWF, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
    I am not sure I would like the 997 GT2, I have had both the 996 Turbo and 997 Turbo while they are fantastic cars they are not very fun to drive, they do not have the soul of an Italian or English car and for some reason the exhaust note blows. I used to have a Cayenne Turbo before I got my Range Rover and it sounded much better than any of the liquid cooled 911s I have had. I do want the new GT3 RS when that comes out.

The Sl65 Black Series is suppose to come up I think either late 2009 or 2010 only 100 are coming to the US so I have no idea if I will get one. I am on the Mercedes Benz VIP list which I am hoping will help.

I love the look of the CLK DTM . I was looking to get the CLK Black Series but after reading Jeremy Clarkson's review in the Times I felt it was not worth the money so I ended up with the basic CLK63

14. NYCSpotter

NYCSpotter Formula 3

May 28, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Yay! :D Carrera GT = One hell of a machine.

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I know this is a bizarre idea on FerrariChat, but in that price range I think an F40 would be feasible. It's already a classic, values are solid and it doesn't have all the computers of the CGT. Plus, you have an F430, so you have a modern sports car.

I can't speak for you, but for me the incremental performance of the CGT would be useless even on the track -- and you don't plan to track it anyway.

All IMO, YMMV, etc.

16. BlazinBWF

BlazinBWF Karting

May 30, 2008
    Seattle;Johannesburg
    How much do they go for? There is one on autotrader for $600k at that price I would rather have a Zonda. What kind of maintenance would the F40 need and how drivable is it on the road?

17. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    the 997 turbo and 997 GT2 are worlds apart in terms of performance. even in the sound department i can attest that the GT2 sounds great when stepped on. nothing like the muted turbo.
    however, the CGT is in a league of it's own. it's surely a collectors item and if you have a chance to get one you will surely not regret.

then again, maybe you should just try a GT2 as it provides 9/10th of CGT performance if surely not the looks and exclusivity.

how could you change from a cayenne turbo to a range ? ok, the range surely looks better but in terms of driving it is very very dull in comparison to the cayenne.

maybe a G55 would have been a better choice ??

18. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    A great sports car, but definitely not a daily driver..........some call it a "widow maker".

19. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    little correction. 996 GT2 was called the widowmaker.......

20. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    How bad are CGT's maintenance wise?

I hear oil changes are a PITA, but other then that what is routine maintenance on them?

I don't have the means to purchase one anytime soon, just curiosity more then anything.

21. Clax

Clax Formula 3

Oct 3, 2002
    For the prices people are asking now for the CGT, I wouldn't touch it. Great car, but not worth $400k. If you have a 430 now, and want a raw experience, get a Scuderia.

22. intouch1

intouch1 Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    Egypt
    certainly not. what's a scud compared to a cgt ??

23. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    are you kidding? I guess not. The CGT, in terms of it's engineering, build quality, and performance would make it worth far more then an Enzo.

CGT's are the performance bargain of the modern supercar set... far greater performance then a SLR, far greater sound, far cheaper then an Enzo.

The couple CGT's I've been in are completely drivable in any condition.... you must simply re-train yourself how to operate the CGT's clutch. When starting off, just lift off the clutch, and don't press the gas at all, otherwise, you will either stall it, or light up the rears. Once you have that down, there is nothing to keep you from putting 1000's of miles on her :)

24. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Alright........it's safe then to drive the CGT ;).

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why is that? CGT is one of the best cars ever made, assuming you can drive it. And at $350K it's a relative bargain compared to a similar, though possibly even lower performing, Enzo. CGT >> Scuderia, but then again, it's to be expected. Now, it may not be as easy to drive though. Besides, unless you are on the list for a Scuderia, you're going to pay may over MSRP and be in CGT prices and I'm going to say a CGT will hold value far better than a Scuderia.