CONCRETE SEALER AND PAINT? | FerrariChat

CONCRETE SEALER AND PAINT?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Spasso, Feb 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I just had the pad poured for my new garage and will be looking for a sealer and color topcoat system that will be compatible with hydroponic infloor heating. I have been told that some coatings will lift when the floor is heated.

There was a product that was demonstrated on Speed Channel where it was emphasized that it resisted lifting under heat conditions. Unfortunatly I missed that episode.

I welcome everybody's in put and experiences with the various products out there.

Thank You, DJ

P.S. I have already contacted our sponsor, Carolina Sealcrete.

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have a large 2CG that I used a two-part epoxy floor paint from Home Depot. I cannot remember the name, but you can find it. I mixed it with a fine sand that is sold to mix with the paint (From OSH). Application was very fast. I walked on it in 8 hours and parked on it in 5 days. It cleans easily (Scrub brush and hose off). Each gallon was about forty bucks. Well worth checking out!

3. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Be sure to let your new floor cure first before sealing it. Not sure how long that is exactly though. Good luck.

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I will probably get the heating system hooked up and warm the pad for a month or two to get the water content down. The V-seal from Carolina Sealcrete has a 2% vapor exchange so it shouldn't lift if there is still some moisture left.

Thanks guys, DJ

5. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I am checking on an option for you via our V-Seal products. V-Seal is an awesome water based sealer. Will bead water like a freshly waxed Ferrari. However, it doesn't make the surface impervious. But, it will be much easier to clean. Dirt will rinse right off, oil still will take a little soap and mild brush.

I'll get back with you tomorrow on here.

6. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hi Neil,
    Thanks for the checkup. I was just thinking, the shipping cost of 5 gallons of anything from NC to Washington State will probably cost as much as the product itself ya' think? .........or do you have a local distributor.

I am still interested in a filler/color topcoat too.

What are the rest of you guys using?

Thanks again,
    DJ

7. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #7 DrStranglove, Feb 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    BBBBRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCKKKKKK...........HHHHHOOOOOUUUUUUUSSSEE

9. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    You should be saying;

"The ******** Battery is WHERE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

"****!!!!!!!!!!"

10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Is that a brick setup INSIDE the garage or in the outdoors?

I am in california and want to do the shiny grey color floor for my garage as well.

11. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    It is inside.

Later on next year I am sort of planning on doing the rest of the driveway so it all matches. But that might be a little expensive.

I have about a 200 yard drive.

DrS

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

If it is not too much trouble would you be able to stand back and take a full pic? I would love to see how it looks. ALso how much you think it will be to do the indoor of a 3 car garage with red bricks like yours?

13. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I can do that but it will be tomorow. It is dark here now and raining. (yuck)

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I would appreciate it whenever you get the chance, no hurry :)

Spasso-sorry for the hijack :(

15. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    DrS...It looks like you had about 6 bricks left over to augment your jack!

16. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    #16 DrStranglove, Feb 25, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yea really.

Thise are actually in front of the wheel so that I can pull out and rest the Batt on them while I checked it for strength and stuff. Man what a pain in the ass that was.

But some chicks did look at my butt!!!

DrS
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LMAO. By the way, the chick that is pointing has great lips!

18. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    OK back to the subject. i have used the Bher (sp) 1 part Epoxy that they also sell at Home Depot. I applied it to my garage floor aprox 2 1/2 months after the slab was poured. 3 1/2 years i have yet to see any peel up or separation from the concrete what so ever. I have even had break fluid spilt on it over night with no problems,

Now one thing to remember is i live in sunny az and even if i brive into the garage after work on a 120 degree day the paint is still resistant to peel up fron the hot car tires. This is the most common problem with Epoxy paints on concrete.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is surface prep. if you still have any of the concrete curing compound or dirt on the floor the Epoxy will not stick properly. It is important to acid wash the concrete before application.

Rob

19. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I use V-seal, I don't know of any other product like it on the market. Beads water like a SOB!!

20. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Rob,

On a new garage being built that is concrete. HOw do I go about doing the acid wash?

ALso is doing the epoxy painting doable by myself? It is a 4 car garage. Is it like painting walls? What else is necessary. ANd can you tell me approx cost involved?

Sorry for so many questions.

Not mechanically inclined in Los Angeles.

21. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Hi Rob,
    I heard about floor paint peeling up from hot tires. With the in-floor heat I have I will be looking for paint that will resist that also.

Could you elaborate on your prep and application?

22. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    First off yes you can do it yourself as it is not that hard of a process. As for the Approximate cost?? hard to say since i have not even looked at any of the product in the past 3 years.

For the acid wash what i did was buy a stiff brissled push broom (Cheap one) and then took some muratic acid and worked it into the concrete. this does a few things one it helps to dissolve any grease that may be present in the concrete and also to remove any of the curring compound. I did this process 3 times rinsed with a gardern hose each time after the 3rd rinse i swept the floor with compressed air.

Then for the painting i first started with the edges of the garage including the risers and parting lines. 3 coats in total. then used a roller for the rest of the surface again 3 coats in total. I allowed for each coat to become tack free before placing the next coat on. then i allowed the coating to cure for 14 days before bringing in my vehicle to park it. you can place card board under the tires if you dont want to leave your cars outside for 2 weeks once the floor is tack free.

23. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    see the above post about the prep and application.

As for peeling with the in floor heating system? you might want to contact the manufacture of the coating directly. IMHO i doubt you will have a problem if my coatings can handle AZ summer tire temps with out lifting off and garage interior temps reaching up to 100 degrees in the summer time (non air conditioned garage) with out any problems i doubt you will have that kind of problem yourself as the surface temps will not reach that high from your in floor heating system.

In fact in the next month i am planning on coating the driveway and side walk leading to my front door. these will be exposed to direct sunlight on a daily basis. a frien of mine has done the same thing 2 years ago with no problems what so ever.

Rob

24. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Thanks for the information.
    The water tempurature in the heating system can go as high as 135 but I will be mixing it down to a maintenance tempurature 65/75f. If I need a quick boost in ambient air temp I can go with a 220 forced air wall heater just to take the edge off.

Anybody use the two part system? .not sure of the brand.

Thanks again, DJ

P.S. Here is a link to pictures of the construction.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9449

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I forgot, What about cleanability? The stuff we have here at work is a polymer that picks up every scuff from shoes and tires and it won't come off.

DJ