What do you think of Panoz?. | FerrariChat

What do you think of Panoz?.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Pantera, Jun 2, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Today I was completely blown off my feet when I saw a Panoz driving around in the springs traffic today and at the first I thought it was a viper till I got a little closer.:D The car is a little smaller than I thought it originally was but still cool non the less.

Has anyone had experiences with these cars in the past? Any owners here?.

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I test drove one of the AIV Raodsters a few years ago. It was much smaller inside than I had anticipated. I thought it drove well and was an all around fun car. The fit of the body panels was not the greatest, but I think they are a good value at around $35k. I have never driven the Esperante.
    :)
    BT

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I was at Road Atlanta a couple of years ago with one of my children taking the Audi driving school for teens.

While she was out driving I looked around the buildings.

In the Panoz building was a bunch of Panoz race cars and a bunch of bodies and miscellaneous parts. I couldn't help but think what they might be worth in 50 years if that little race shop caught on like Ferrari did 50 years ago. I thought about someone viewing a similar scene in Ferrari's early years.

4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    They are similar to Ferrari in that they seem to sell road cars to support the race effort. They concentrate their engineering on the chassis development rather than the engine development. It's been like 60 years since Ferrari really got going right, the world of racing has changed very much.
    Things change, but I think the Panoz brand may have some good future value. For me, the AIV is the best investment car they sell if you can stand the impracticality. I like it and might change out the Ginetta for one someday.
    BT

5. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I think they're pretty cool. I'd love to drive one sometime so I could really make a decision on them.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Ugly kit car.......

Also looks like they are going under. We used to have a pretty well respected dealer here in Houston, but I think they bailed out.

7. Chicane

Chicane F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 17, 2007
    Funkytown
    Full Name:
    Dirk Diggler
    +2.

8. Driversource

Driversource Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Houston, TX
    We were the Panoz dealer in Houston. Technically, I guess we still are, but as they are not building road cars for the US market right now, there's not much for us to sell other than the race cars. We just sold our last two new race cars, and are down to the two that we ran in SCCA last year. We have a couple of used road cars, but both have pending deals and won't be around much longer.

The Esperante and its variants (GT, GTLM) are interesting to drive, but nothing to scare a Porsche, Ferrari, or even a Z06 Vette. I've driven the hottest version of the supercharged GTLM, and it definitely scoots, but it's not anything eye opening from a handling standpoint. The look is definitely unique, and the basic Esperante convertible is a nice grand touring alternative. They all sound pretty good, hard to mess up the exhaust note of a good ol' American V8. Quality is about what you'd expect from a low volume race shop builder.

9. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    It feels like they stole the design from the RX-7 and put an ugly front end on it.

10. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I like them. They are like Ferrari where the road cars support the race car business. I would love to see them in F1 someday. They produce more open wheel chassis than any other company in the world.

11. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    The Panoz is not one of my favorite cars design wise, but they are exiting to see, since they are not very common. The Esperante is pretty cool, I've seen one around.

Here is an AIV Roadster I came across. The best thing about this car was the sound!!

Chris

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGY6fjKlvrI[/ame]

12. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Spent a weekend at the Chateau Elan once and got an upclose look at an Esperante. Neat car and I love the idea of a modern small manufacturer the same vein as early Ferrari, but sadly the Ford Mustang dash pod, interior, and 4.6 motor are out of place in that price range. For the same money I would look elsewhere, but thats just me. I do really like the AIV Roadster and think a used one would be a great value, if you could find one.

13. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    previous chassis Ford Mustang rebody, a "Profesional" quality kit car, imho, not really any better, but a lot more exclusive.

JD