Rocky Mountain National Park | FerrariChat

Rocky Mountain National Park

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by mikesufka, Jun 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    What are the odds I'll be able to get into Rocky Mountain National Park the week of June 9th? I'm going to be coming out of Scottsdale, AZ and heading toward MN that week, via motorcycle. The plan was to come up thru Payson, AZ, Show Low, AZ, Snow Flake, AZ, and then go thru Telluride, CO, Montrose, CO, and up towards Aspen/Vail, CO, before hitting Rocky Mountain National Park.

I know the weather is "hit or miss" this time a year. Are the passes open? I heard that Independance Pass is still closed????

Thanks,

Mike

2. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    It's open..

http://www.cotrip.org/rWeather/All_Regions_060308_105002.html

It usually opens on Memorial Day weekend, can only remember a couple of times over the last 40 years or so it hasn't. I did spend the night on the 5th of July in 1994 up there as my Jetta wouldn't get over due to 18 inches of fresh snow, but myself and a couple of stranded park rangers played cards all night in the lodge at the top... : - )

Local Grand Lake Weather can be found here:

http://www.skyhidailynews.com/

3. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    several years ago I drove almost that exact same route from Scottsdale to Aspen over independence pass.

2 tips.

- watch your speed in Colorado. I had a postal worker complain about us and local cops near Gunnison pulled us over and told us the Highway Patrol wanted to talk to us. After 2 hours of waiting at the courthouse, Highway patrol gave us multiple tickets all based on her phone call. Criminal reckless driving ect... Was reduced eventually but cost $$$ to fight (imo) a corrupt system.

- be careful on independence pass....well around all mountains. I almost had a boulder take out my wife and I in our F355 as we were driving down into Aspen. Almost had the same thing happen 3 days ago in Vail on a bike path too.

4. GrndLkNatv

GrndLkNatv Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2006
    Grand Lake, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Stephens
    #4 GrndLkNatv, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    of corrupt cops around... I know that we had one a few years back, but we ran his sorry arse out of town. It was funny to watch the town fathers hire a retired denver cop, who was their friend, to be the police commissioner of the town and then he immediately fired the idiot and then resigned a while later so he could continue to enjoy his retirement.. After that the town hired the local sheriffs department to be the police.. Much better situation....

5. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just got back from camping for 4 days in SW Colo. Very green, all the rivers are at their banks and there is very little traffic. Maybe I'm a bit early but there are a lot fewer people than usual.

As of yesterday, Independence was still closed. I drove over CO133/92 between Carbondale and Delta and it is a must do on a bike. Zero traffic and McClure pass is stunning. 550 from Silverton to Ouray is amazing as is CO145 up the Delores river from Delores to Telluride.

Have a blast.

6. ferraripanoz

ferraripanoz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The latest news is that it will open this Thursday, but to stay safe I would say this weekend! It should be a nice ride with all the melting snow in the high country and the green every where.