CHANGING F1 CLUTCH and POSSIBLE EXPENSES... | FerrariChat

CHANGING F1 CLUTCH and POSSIBLE EXPENSES...

Discussion in '360/430' started by bryanc4, Jun 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    according to eugenio's changing an F1 clutch on a 360 runs $5k on coupe and $6k on spider for this:

f1 clutch, pressure plate, t.o bearing, pilot bearing, all seals, oil, gear oil , OEM, incluiing SD2 time.

im curious if the pressure plate, and the bearings are a must change.

2. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    B - That's higher than I have seen, but I'm not an expert. I think that quote is for the whole deal and I'm not sure if the t.o. bearing always needs to be replaced. I have seen posts where folks have quoted $7500 for belts and clutch when done at the same time. Again, not sure of the details.

It's great how much you are participating in F-Chat (welcome!). I'd encourage you to fill out your profile (and maybe even contemplate subscribing). Folks here appreciate that stuff. Just a suggestion (not a criticism). I've just completed sensitivity training!

Tim

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    #3 duskybird, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    I don't know why there is a 1K difference between the coupe and spider. The pressure plate and thrust bearing should be replaced. You can also add the cost of a ring gear on early cars ( 3 to 6 bolt $650 ) if it hasn't already been done. I'd go with the Hill thrust bearing over the oem part.

4. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    #4 Joe G., Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    good question

some of the early spiders did not have access holes to remove the silver subframe (access the bolts,, subframe has to be removed first, then you can remove the trans).....so you actually had to remove the entire spider top first, then remove the subframe, hence the possible added cost

i've seen a 2002 with the access holes...and a 2000 without them....so i don't know where the cut in was on that update

5. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I think you are rite. I was sitting here trying to figure why.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Me thinkest it was vehicle # 120572.

Sometimes you just need to jump into the pool, even though the water is a wee bit cold. Once you're in, it feels pretty nice.

7. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    Where would one look to find those holes? I have an 01 that is after that VIN, so I can check mine to see if they are there or not.

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Assembly number, not VIN. It's on a plate in the engine bay.

9. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    i was told by a ferrari techie that it is a good idea to change out your F1 pump if u are doing a clutch job (if u have a F1 360)

10. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    The pump is quite expensive and I see no advantage to doing it with the clutch. The suggestion I was told was to replace the clutch position sensor when doing a clutch job. Anyone else confirm/deny this?
    I have also heard it's a good idea to replace the F1 Pump relay on a somewhat regular basis (although I am not sure if that means annually, at each gas station fill up, etc.;))

11. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I did the thrust position sensor when I did my clutch as a precaution. The only way to change it is to remove the transmission so it made sense to me.