PPI tomorrow: 99 coupe silver/bordeaux, 8k miles | FerrariChat

PPI tomorrow: 99 coupe silver/bordeaux, 8k miles

Discussion in '360/430' started by bryanc4, May 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    for a few weeks, i have been comtemplating the purchase of this gorgeous car thats literally in pristine condition, but the dealer selling the car did not have service records. so i took the advice of many of the members on ferrarichat and passed on the car.

today i received some information that put me at ease...... after careful digging, the dealer got in contact with the last owner and gathered these receipts from ferrari of PA:

1) in july 2005 the car had recall #097 done which included replacement of tensioners
    2) while doing the service, the timing belt changed

so since then, 3 years have passed and 1200 miles.

another concern of mine was the very low miles accumulated on the car in the last 3 years.. only 1200 miles in 3 years. more importantly - 400 miles in the last 2 years. after talking with the previous owner of the car (doctor in MA) i was relieved to find out that the car was purely a weekend car and he drove the car every few weeks, thus eliminating my suspicion that the car was a 'garage queen'.

tomorrow the car is going to PPI and im crossing my fingers. this is a pristine condition car... absoultely brand new in/out.
    will keep updated.
    thanks again for all the help... i learned a lot on here.

PICS OF CAR:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd112/humble6996/2863096_4.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd112/humble6996/redint2.jpg

2. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    Good luck.
    Hope all comes out ok
    Eric

3. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I hope the PPI comes out as clean as the car looks.

Good luck.

Frank

4. FQ340

FQ340 Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    ahmet
    #4 FQ340, May 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interior is a bit flashy for my taste, but exterior, argento nurburgring all the way, yeah baby..
    Hope ppi clears all your suspicions and you join the club..

cheers..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. rjsmd

rjsmd Karting

Apr 20, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Looks nice. Hope it works out for you. Remember when negotiating the purchase price that the car is due for another belt service now and its second major, depending on in-service date, sometime in the next year.

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Dang! That's a red interior.

7. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Yes that car is ready for its next major service now. Tires are old more than likely as well? Plan on in the next year spending $3-4K

Good Luck

8. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    That's a good point. You've been worried about whether or not to get a belt change. I think you know in your head that you would rather get one if given the FREE option to do it. So, why not have the dealer throw it in with whatever you choose as the purchase price?

9. bryanc4

bryanc4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2008
    Delray/Boca, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    #9 bryanc4, Jun 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
    ok PPI completed and this is the verdict:

car currently has 8200 miles.

recall 097 (cam variators) performed in 2005, at the same time belts were replaced *receipts for the recall service were found and verified the completion of service with ferrari.
    all fluids look very clean and mechanic concluded a major service has been completed in the last 2-3 years.
    belts still have the numbers on them and mechanic says they look good... recommends a major service in 1 year.
    keep in mind the car was driven only 1200 miles in the last 2.5 years.

F1 clutch shows 47% worn.

all else beautiful.
    tranny mount replaced as was slightly cracked.
    engine oil changed.

im picking up the car tomorrow... my main concern is the cost to replace the clutch.. ive been hearing estimates ranging from $2200-$6500... a bit confused.

10. Shumdit

Shumdit Formula Junior

May 9, 2006
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew B.
    I think coupe will be cheaper than spider for the clutch, but let's look at the clutch just done on my spider:

OEM clutch $1200
    Throwout bearing $600
    Flywheel (to upgrade to new style ring gear from ones used on 360's made until at least 2001, possibly later, do a search) $650.00
    Labor $1650.00
    Clutch position sensor (apparently a preventative issue since the originals sometimes fail and I think require trans removal to replace (this only would apply to a F1 IIRC) $407.00
    There are some other seals and fluids, etc, but as you can see it came to well over $4500 by the time it was all said and done. A later car that did not need a flywheel to correct the ring gear issue and did not need the clutch position sensor replaced would be over $1000 cheaper to do the same job on, so you can see where you a huge spread on costs.