Brake warning Light's Intermittant | FerrariChat

Brake warning Light's Intermittant

Discussion in '308/328' started by Crallscars, Jun 4, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    My brake warning light has been intermittant since I got the car. Looking at the schematic, there is the brake proportining valve and a float in the master cylinder that turns this light on. The brakes work good & the master cylinder is full.

Is there a way to disconnect the wire to the float in the master cylinder to help me diagnose my problem, or is it easier to lift the car and disconnect the proportioning valve?

2. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    I disconected mine 20 years ago after repeated tries to fix, when parts were cheap I might add, I reinstalled the originals & been driving ever since, I ended up disconectioing @ the bulb.
    DISCLAIMER: I am not reccomending you do this as this is a safety component, but it is what I did.

3. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I am with you, to me it's a spare light bulb, but at the moment, it's easier test for the problem than drop the gauge cluster to turn the darn intermittant idiot light off.

I know the proportioning valve is somewhere under the front of the car, near the fire wall and there is one wire to it, and easy to remove....when you get there.

I wanted to start by disconnecting the float switch in the master cylinder to see if the float had sunk.

4. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    #4 Drew Altemara, Jun 4, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
    The float in the master cylinder is very easy to see and fix if there is a problem there. I would at least take a look before you start disconnecting things. I had a 308 with the same problem and mine turned out to be the sensor in the proportioning valve. I could get mine to go off if every 3 to 6 months I took the car out and really stood on the brakes.

Good luck.

5. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    When I bought the car, the dealer was suspect the proportioning valve was defective and gave me a replacement. before I swap it out and go to the trouble of crawling under there to temporairly disconnect it, I thought it maight be easier to disconncet the float, I have heard from other sources it goes bad too.

Yep, I tried the "get down on the brakes already, and it didn't clear the light. Sometimes when you get in the car it will be out, and during the drive it may or may not come on. Other times you go out for a drive and it will be on, it may stay on, it may go out.

I just want it to either let me know there is a problem, or as a last resourt, become spare parts.