Lake shore drive race day. | FerrariChat

Lake shore drive race day.

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by eyboro, May 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    #1 eyboro, May 29, 2008
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
    Can anybody imagine a 1 day (Sunday Preferred) event for Exotic car owners (especially Ferrari owners) racing the 10 mile stretch from Hollywood to Monroe. The ideal would be closing all lanes from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The starting line would be at the begriming of LSD on the north the finishing line would be Monroe st. 6 cars at the time 1 on each lane. The race winner would be by category like for example Vintage, 70's, 80's, 90's, current, Modified, and more. So basically there will be a lot of winners. I think that spectators will bring lots of revenue to the city of Chicago. Plus drivers like me will be willing to pay lots of money to be included in this event. This event can be franchised to every major city in the US. I would think that sometimes in June would be a preferred time weather is usually nice. I drive everyday from Highland Park to Chicago. In the Summer I take my F355 spider when it is 65+ and I always imagine taking my car to the max on Lake Shore Drive.

Maybe someone out there has some influence and we can start working on this as a team. I think if people hear about it they will come from all over to watch and to hear the greatest engine roars in the world racing on the Lake. We can call this event "Ferrari Racing By The Lake". I would say 50,000 to 100,000 spectators showing up.

2. Carsleuth

Carsleuth F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2006
    Chicago/NYC
    Full Name:
    Dan C.
    #2 Carsleuth, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
    It's a VERY cool concept and don't think I haven't dreamed about it, but that would just cost too much. To close off an entire road kills travel and just would be a **** load of money. To close off Oak street for "Ferraris on Oak Street" cost like 80k or something. It got canceled because the sponsors dropped out. Now if you're saying that the city would fund it, thats just never gonna happen. I would chop off a toe to see this, don't get me wrong I'd be amazing, but unrealistic. Just my input.

-Dan

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Racing/Indycar fans have long dreamed about a Monaco style GP on Lake Shore Drive with the s/f line and the paddock around the Grand Park area. The idea is cool, no doubt. And will never happen.

4. Mobius Entwine

Mobius Entwine Karting

Jun 9, 2005
    Roscoe, IL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The city has closed the drive (Lake Shore Drive, aka LSD) for various events, including triathlons, biathlons (dualthons) and "bike the drive", etc. It's usually a Sunday morning.

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I remember a few years back there was talk about doing it; like was done in London I believe? You know, the whole Monaco thing.

As an aside, why am I hearing a bunch of serious fireworks going off tonight?

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    During the summer there are fireworks on many nights. Often around 9:30pm we hear the thunder and then look out and sure enough, there they are over Navy Pier.

7. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    If I remember (I was a kid at the time) correctly former Chicago Mayor Jane Byrne had been a big supporter of bringing an Indy or F1 race to Chicago. However, she could never get the city council to go for it. With the current mayor, Maybe you could get a bicycle race, but an auto race would be a tough sell. Too bad, since we all can imagine how incredible that would be!

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #8 Gilles27, Jun 2, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
    It was back in 79 or 80. I was so excited--they got far enough into the process to actually conduct a ceremonial lap. Mike Royko of all people was integral in drumming up resistance by preaching to people how significantly the event would disrupt their lives by blocking roads, closing parks, etc. The City Council buckled at the final vote believing that the letter-writers spoke for everyone.

But if you want to see racing on LSD, all you need to do is go out and watch the dozens of rice rockets flying up and down the Drive. Yesterday afternoon I was at the park and saw a group of 20+ tearing up and down Lake Shore, over and over.

9. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    Would be great but just image the spoilers and undercarragies as you go between Irving Park and Belmont !!!!!

10. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    +1 on the Rice Burners. I live right above them and look down on them constantly at Randolph

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hear 'em all night long. I call 'em organ donors.

12. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    nice spelling on my part....undercarriage it shouldbe...jeeezzz

13. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    There is quite a story behind this. This all happened back when I was working for the City of Chicago. I was Chief of Design for the Bureau of Architecture and got a call one day asking me to participate in a special project to hold a Formula One race in downtown Chicago. (The people in the Mayor's office knew I was a big F1 fan.) The idea originated with the late Arnie Morton. He wanted a signature event to pair with his Taste of Chicago. In addition to being a chum of Mayor Byrne and her husband, Jay McMullin, he was good pals with Carl Haas and brought him in as the racing expert. Not surprisingly, the project shifted to being a Champ Car race (for all sorts of very logical reasons). Burdette (Burdie) Martin of ACCUS and the FIA was also involved. I remember having dinner at "Arnies" with those three and several of the Mayor's people. I was really charged up about the thing. We had the track all laid out. Pits and paddock were along McFetridge between the Field Museum and the Park District offices north of Soldier Field. The cars then went north on the drive west of the Field Museum, wound past Buckingham Fountain with a couple chicanes, then went back east at the north end of the park and then back south on the drive back to the museum area. (You have to remember, this was before Lake Shore drive was re-aligned.) I think I still have a plan of the track someplace. We had almost all the various city agencies on board when the project suddenly was killed. The "culprit" was the not-for-profit organization, The Friends of the Parks. They came down hard on the Mayor, claiming that the race, coupled with Taste of Chicago, would prevent people from enjoying the park. They were especially concerned about the use of the softball fields at the south end. Too bad. It would have been very, very cool. And the TV coverage of the Chicago lakefront would have been spectacular. One think I do remember is what I said when the Mayor's office told me why the project was being scuttled. "You have got to be #$%^ing kidding me!!!"

14. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I'd love to see that map if it could be scrounged up. ?

15. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Wow-cool story! I'd definitely love to see a map. Even if you have a map of the old LSD layout that you could redraw it on.

16. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    +1 on the map.. Would be really interesting to see and frame.

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We might not get a Monaco like track here, but at least the Olympics: Today the IOC eliminated more candidates and Chicago is in the last 4.

18. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Come on Olympics!!!!

19. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Would be cool, hopefully one day.

20. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Wow, good news to know. Who are the other 3?