250 GTE 3681 GT | FerrariChat

250 GTE 3681 GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enzo360, Jun 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    #1 enzo360, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
    Hello,
    I've received following question:
    "dear Sir, we're restoring this car. Original this car was 'dark blue' and we would like to match the original colour. Where can we find the compostion of the paint or the mixture formula. The serial number is 3681 GT. We are also looking for the correct colour for the interiour. All info on this car regarding its history would also been appreciated."
    So, which brand of paint would be used in that era? Can the owner get this info by Ferrari Owners Dep.?
    The car is in Belgium.
    best
    Jurgen

2. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Hmm, the Register shows this car parted out in 1987. Do you know if the car still has its original engine?

You can get the info from Ferrari on the owners site (www.owners.ferrari.com). Go to historical archive, then car colors and follow the directions. It'll give you the original color and interior color. It'll take them a few days to get back to you.

Good luck!

3. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    I just got an answer back today from it's owner:

Hello,
    thank you for the info about the GTE.
    On the engine I can find following data: in the front: 128 F
    on the rear 338/62E endon a polished square 36?1, I suspect 3681
    What does 'parted out' mean?
    The 'vehicle identification number' is 250GTE3681 given by New Mexico Transportation Department
    Pix will follow

Now, I assume the '128 F' is the engine tipo ?
    best
    Jurgen

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    128F is the engine model.

Broken up = parted out, dismantled & sold for parts

You may want to post a photo of the serial number stamping on the engine block.

Since there is a report on this serial number having been broken up you/the owner should consider taking photos of all the different part numbers and serial numbers on all the parts to prove clear provenance. If you are rebuilding the various assemblies document the internal numbers too.

If there is a question about the provenance you/the owner needs to have clear evidence of all the parts to prove to the "community" that the prior reports were erronious.

Jeff

5. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

You want him to do this because one person on an internet chat site said it was parted out? In my copy of the GTE Register it does not say "parted out" but PARTING OUT. I assume that means it could have been bought rough but complete from Speedline Exotics in New Mexico in Feb 1987 and now ended up in Belgium. Yale