Any Clear Air members here? | FerrariChat

Any Clear Air members here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Apr 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Sick of security lines, I just signed up and got my paperwork that I'll take to the airport this week. Seeing if there are any Clear members here and what problems you may have with the process, etc.

2. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    Pete what do you bypass? I saw this at the airport in San Fran. do you get to leave your shoes on, do you still have to take bags out, etc.?

3. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I could not tell that it helped at all. I still stood in line and they still searched / x-rayed everything.

4. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Their line takes you to the front of the line (And you go through the same inspection as everyone else, but you do not have a wait to get there). If there are 500 people in the main line, you bypass ALL of them. $128 for the first year is a bargain. I'll probably fly 25 trips at their participating airports this year. That's $5.12 per trip to go to the head of the line. IF this company gets in all the airports they want to, I'll enjoy short lines until they eventually even out, then the company will either have to raise the prices (Which if they are smart, is in their business plan) or go out of business. It will be VERY interesting to see how it unfolds. I'm going to SJO tomorrow AM to get fingerprinted and an iris scan. That goes off to the TSA in in 4-5 weeks, I'll receive my Clear card.

5. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have my Clear card and use it whenever I am in an airport that has Clear. It is nice going to the front of the line.

6. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    How can I subscribe? Do they have a website? [I tried google but nothing came out] :)

7. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    flyclear.com

8. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    How long did did the TSA take to get your card to you after you mailed it?

9. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I was going to join but don't fly enough.

My local airport is Dulles-- 'nuff said.

-dsd

10. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    i've never actually stood in a security line for more than 30 min b4... not worth the hassle to me, and if you are late, just tell someone and 99% of the time they will put you up front, I fly US->UK about 4-6 times a year and each time i get the cheapest ticket regardless of the route, and pretty much every airport ive been to thus far has much better security set ups these days. After 9/11 it was hell at airports, now its pretty much been "streamlined" and the wait isnt that bad. I also have a permanent fast track pass for Gatwick and Heathrow airports, and have only used it once

11. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have noticed a swing in time that travelers travel. I always book ( at least the departing flights ) during the non-busy times (10AM, 2PM, 8PM, etc.) and the lines are getting worse during these times, thus all the more reason to get Clear. For me, it's paid for in three flights in which the security line in 15 minutes+, as it would be worth a couple of twenties NOT to stand in line.

12. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I think it was about 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

13. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Clear advised via an email this week that my TSA has approved my application and my card is in the mail! Hoooo-hooo! I can't wait! I was at the Denver airport yesterday afternoon and the security lines (both sides) were insane! As for the Clear lane, it was empty! I look forward to use it this month from San Jose to Boise and from San Jose to Madison, WI. I only hope that this company can stay in business! Right now, it's a dream to to to the front of the line! My card will pay for itself the first time I use it!!!!

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Would you be willing to pay extra to not have to wait in line at post offices? I find it ridiculous that the government doesn't decrease the wait times and make the whole security screening process more efficient, without have to resort to private contractors who offer you this "service" for a fee. We should demand that the government improve its service, rather than accept the notion that everyone should have to pay and be nickled and dimed to death with these "convenience taxes".

Sputtering mad, and time to move this to P&R. :)

15. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I got a Pitney postage meter to avaid the lines at the post office. One down. DMV lets you make appointments...Two down. As for airport security, it's only going to get worse. IMO, I want the government to stay away from Clear. Paying $100 a year for this service is a slam dunk. It will be VERY interesting when (and if) enough people join Clear to the point that the security lines will be even. At that time, nobody will have a reason to join clear. They will go out of business and after a year (When all the yearly memberships have expired), they can rise again from the ashes and start the cycle all over again.....Probably by a new company that would buy all of their equipment for five cents on the dollar!

16. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    The cost isn't prohibitive, but I don't like the idea of my iris scan out there. Ever see Minority Report with Tom Cruise? They have it forever....or until you exchange eyeballs. I've never waited more than 30 minutes in any line and since you have to check in before the flight, they have to wait for you, especially if you checked luggage. There is no way that they will take off with your luggage and not you. If you check in at the front counter, you will make the flight.

17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #17 PeterS, Jun 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
    Have you ever checked your luggage and said " The hell with showing up on time at the gate, they have to wait for us "? Sounds like you have, without regard to other travelers. Have you ever been on a plane where the flight attendant told everyone that the plane has to wait for a couple passengers?..........And the look everyone gives you when you finally walk on the plane! I have been on flights in which baggage was checked and the passengers had not shown up and the baggage was being TAKEN OFF the flight! I have been on a couple of those...Maybe the airlines are hip to your game!

Though you may be correct (not in whole), I do not agree with our attitude. Sure.....Nobody says that you have to me the 'model passenger', but to 'play the game' and make 200 people late for their destination and possibly a few missing a connecting flight steps over the line in my book. Sorry, but my knee-jerk reaction says you are possibly being a bit selfish. Would you like to be on a plane that can't shut it's door because they are waiting for somebody like yourself? I think not!

VERY MUCH looking forward to your reply:) I can not think of a defense that most people would agree with.

18. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS

Sometimes you do posts that you REALLY want to see a reply on! This one is in my top three on FChat!

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Lines aren't long enough to justify it for me and I don't travel enough (3 trips a year, so 6 flights). Regardless, the higher the price of oil goes, and therefore airfare, the shorter the lines will be. :)

20. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Let's say four of your six flights have long security lines. That's only $25 you pay not to stand in it. For the times it's favorable to travel, I seem to always hit a log line. OK, let's say that high fuel costs cut air travel by 30%.........The line at Denver the other day would have been 40 minutes! Seems the TSA people are getting slower. Coupled with the moron's in line that are not prepared with their tickets and ID and the fact that you almost have to strip naked, lines will be slow, even in a downturn in air travel!

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #21 PeterS, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. mvtm

mvtm Karting

Apr 19, 2008
    Venezuela
    Full Name:
    Maria
    #22 mvtm, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
    Theres no need for clear,i am female and i pass security pretty fast.
    If you ask me,you must be super creative to do a business out of this.Good that i only have to pass TSA a few times a year.Im used to it, i think i would miss the TSA.(Its part of the experience of going to USA).And obviously it would serve me of nothing.
    Still they are missing some Airports .. especially MIA..i wonder.. hmm

23. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    So if you are a cute female in Venezuela, that gets you through the line faster? Are there lines for ugly women too?

24. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I used the card for the first time yesterday at the San Jose airport. This was sweet! The security line was about 45 minutes. I walked up the the Clear kiosk and was greeted ASAP by a very polite Clear employee. She looked at my passport and Clear card, I did the thumbprint verification, she got a plastic bin and put all my stuff in it and walked me to the front of the XRay belt. Bango! I was done with the security check in about three minutes, shoes on and walking to my gate!