coolant reservoir tank in 512TR/M | FerrariChat

coolant reservoir tank in 512TR/M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by B512M, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. B512M

B512M Karting

Mar 26, 2008
    flood city
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Has anyone replaced these tanks before? I think they tend to rust over time because of the material. The inside of the reservoir tank in mine has rusted, just ordered a new one from a US dealer, but was backordered as FNA did not have any in stock.

2. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    The FNA warehouse must be about the size of a half bathroom, and then the story is always the same getting parts from Italy- 3 to 4 weeks and it will actually take 6 to 8 to get the part (assuming it is available) and no you can't offer to pay the FedX charges; they don't work that way.

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I have replaced the expansion tank in my 91 Testarossa. I know the tank is diferent in the TR/M ( in between the intake runners ) but should essentially be the same proceedure. Do it when you're doing a coolant change.

How often do you change your coolant? I do mine on a yearly basis. Also, I do a coolant flush/scrub and then replace the coolant with each change.

What I do is drain the old coolant out and fill with distilled water with the prestone "severe service flush". I then bleed/top up the system and run the water/ flush for a few days. I redrain and use a mixture of 65% prestone coolant with 35% distilled water. I again (sigh) bleed / top up the system and done...till the next year.

If you think this is overkill, after you drain the the distilled water / flush ( clear as well ), the color is a murky orange green. Just think how much residue you're removing.

BTW, I've never had a over heating or high temp coolant problem in my Testarossa.....this is in central FL summer heat.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

4. B512M

B512M Karting

Mar 26, 2008
    flood city
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Shamile, I just flush mine & I will do it once a year just like my other cars. But I wouldn't want to use "Coolant Flush" as I've heard people saying that you will not be able to get it out completely and that it will do damage to waterpump seats, etc. But then again this is always debatable.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    my one and only experience with a flush product (circa 1978) initiated a leak. never used it since. IMHO the orange patina that comes off with the acid flush is harmless in the system.

I have been using the yellow prestone product that claims 5 years of protection. At one time their orange product seemed the best answer - but the rumor mill caused me to return to the yellow. With the yellow, the TR expansion tank is rust free on the inside & the drained fluid looks as new - even after a few years. I'd bet that every other year is still overkill - but couldn't hurt. The distilled water plan is a 'must' - - a good point to mention.

Hopefully, the previously mentioned expansion tank rust is external and not internal. Water from 'washing' the cars seems to pool on the tank tops - good reason to not use a hose! If this is the case, take it to a powder coat shop & have it done with a 70% gloss back - it will match the factory paint perfectly.

good luck,
    Vince

6. martinp

martinp Karting

Jan 11, 2005
    Nr Ludlow, Shrops UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Phillips
    If a replacement is unavailable, there is a remedy which is used for impossible to get vintage motorcycle fuel tanks.
    It requires removal of the tank and sensibly you would rattle a few ball bearings around in it to loosen any corrosion before finally washing and drying it.
    A proprietary 2 part resin mix is poured into the tank which is rotated in all planes to allow it to coat all surfaces.
    Once cured, in about 30 min, it seals the tank completely and also binds any corrosion products firmly to prevent further deterioration.
    Of course the external appearance is perfectly standard and can be restored in the usual ways.
    I've used this stuff very successfully on an early Lotus fuel tank.

Martin