328 Fun to Drive Factor | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 Fun to Drive Factor

Discussion in '308/328' started by lencap, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    (Quote):
    Does it put a smile on your face every time you drive it?

Related questions: If you had to do it again, would you still chose the 328? If not, what would you chose and why?

How much have you spent in maintenance over the last 3-5 years of ownership? (Quote)

1) It's a Ferrari of course it does! ;)

2) I owned a 328 and a 355 simultaneously for a few months....the 328 rarely got driven. I do miss it at times, but the 355 is more comfortable, easier to drive (power steering and light, hydraulic clutch) and has way more power, grip, better brakes (and ABS (sure 89's had a early ABS system, but does not compare to a more modern version)) and the most intoxicating exhaust note around!

3) Maintenance costs are definitely the 308/328 series forte. Note that they are now very old cars, and have more needs than they did even 10 or 15 years ago, when that reputation was built. But even so, the costs to maintain are probably 2/3's less than my 355 which is considerable.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think you could apply that comparison to most older cars versus most newer cars. My '08 Audi will vastly outbrake my '87 328, and outhandle it, and keep you comfy in the process as you steer it with a finger and downshift with another finger. But, I love vintage cars, and the 328 is borderline vintage at this point, and wasn't even the state of the art in 1985 (having roots back in the 308 GT4).

There's no doubt when you drive one now you're going to have be accepting of its age. As an everyday car, I think I'd tire of it. As a weekend toy, it's better for not having ABS, power steering all of the power accessories. You just can't get that kind of purity anymore in a sports car, and that whole time warp is part of its charm. I'll concede the track days to the guys in the modern rides. My next sports car will be no newer than the 328.

As far as exhaust note, I have a Tubi on my 328 and no complaints, but the 355 is probably the best of the V8 Ferraris in terms of sound.

3. ALUMINUMYELLOW328

ALUMINUMYELLOW328 Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rhett R Arcilla
    Seating position is nothing like a 911, had one of those. You can heal and toe a 911 if you had someone adjust the brake pedal down a bit or purchased the WINGS engineering pedal. On to the 328 definitely can heal and toe without adjustments, it's got a small footwell and the pedals are nicely spaced. We recommend that you sit in one to get a better feel and if you can drive one first before pulling the trigger.

4. Athrill

Athrill Rookie

Jan 20, 2004
    Metro New York
    I've been sitting back a bit, waiting to post to this particular thread. I'm relatively new to this particular forum -- picked up an '86 328 just about 3-4 weeks ago. Many of you offered advice about one that I inquired about on E-Bay. Never bought that one, but rather found one with 25K+ miles in what seems to be wonderful condition. Anyway, to the point of this thread. I've owned nearly everything from my first 328 through my most recent Challenge Stradale (even had an F40 but the Stradale was the biggest separation pain). While each has been fun (and I tracked everything from my 355's up), since I've come "full circle" (as my daughter-in-law describes), I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying my new (old) 328. While I don't see it as a track car (what compares to the CS) it's a blast on the street. Fun to drive but not over powered. The local gendarme pull along side; take a look and say "have a nice day." The 328 styling is classic -- what more can anyone ask for??
    Over the past dozen years I've had my fun with the newer, Ferrari power cars. Each was a blast in its own. I've been there; enjoyed every moment of the speed and handling. Now I've come back and am totally enjoying every moment in the 328 (although it was 100 degrees today and the A/C didn't work -- what else is new??)

5. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I don't get the complaints about the steering wheel.

If your arms are straight out in front of you, you don't have to worry about your elbows hitting anything. ;)

(I've been driving Italians for a long time. I rather like the semi-reclined, arms straight out driving position.)

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I installed a Tubi on my 328 too, but my (stock) 355 exhaust still blows it away. :)

He asked the questions, and I answered them as honestly as I can. I can also honestly say that a early 308GTS/GTB is the best looking of the bunch, I love that clean shape. I had a 78 308GTS with 16" QV wheels and loved that car. Slow, but looked and sounded the part! ;)

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I went for a middle ground - I have a mostly stock exhaust with a Hyperflow cat. Nice growl without the overpowering boom of the Tubi. That said, the 355 is indeed in a class of it's own. That sound can turn my head a mile off...

8. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Thanks, guys. Sounds a lot like the right fit.

@ Tilman,
    Some nice guys on F-chat. One of the aussies has just offered to take me for a run and resolve all doubt.
    Yeah, I'm in Oz.

@Bullfighter
    Pretty good description. Thanks for taking the time. Sounds a lot like an Alfa.
    Had a couple of 1750GTVs in the '70s. That driving position was a great fit then and would be a good fit now I'm busted up.
    A smart-arse motoring journo, once described it as classic italian ape!
    Hard to get excited about an Alfa though, these days. Whereas every rev head ought to own a Ferrari sometime in their life and I haven't yet.
    Had a Dino pass through quickly back when they weren't considered 'real' Ferraris. It was left hand drive and both options of conversion or a track car were beyond my reach financially att.
    So the Dino doesn't count.

@ALUMINUMYELLOW328
    Yeah, I figured some reconfiguration might sort the P-car pedals. Nice toy but I'm an older wiser head and want different things from my return to sports cars than I did when younger.

Got out of cars and into driving horses for a long time. Any combined drivers here?
    My team is now retired and I need something to 'want' to do.
    Can't walk good enough to train another team.
    A 328 is my solution as a reason to get out of bed when it takes a bit of pain to do that.
    No fanging about. Have to find a Ferrari mech who doesn't mind me being in the shop, as I can't do it all myself anymore.

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    To the questions of new car vs. older car performance... well that's half the fun.

When I go from the 87 328 to the 08 Miata it takes a while to adjust. What would be reasonable brake pedal pressure in the 328 nearly puts me through the windshield in the Miata. Steering at low speed is an upper body workout in the 328, and a one finger exercise in the Miata. The easy, short throw shift in the Miata is nothing compared to the firm handed shove in the 328.

All of that said, when I am in the 328, I am driving, I know it, and I love it. In newer cars, even behind the wheel, I kinda feel like I'm just along for the ride.....

10. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Always good when people agree!

Yes, I'm still not quite sure why we didn't swap during our trip, it was always the plan. Then again, not much went according to plan... Anyway, you'll more chances to see the light. And I will too, hopefully :)

Onno

11. Scuderia NoVA

Scuderia NoVA Formula Junior
    Owner

Nov 25, 2004
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Fun to Drive? YES! If fun = blindingly fast in your book, then: NO.

Given the chance to do it all over again would you have gotten a 328? YES! "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." -- Ferris Bueller, ca. 1986. Ferrari ownership should be on everyone's bucket list.

328 Maintenance costs? Like with real horses and their poop, maintenance is just one of those unpleasant things that you inevitably have to deal with from time to time. Dealing with it is part of the ownership experience. How you deal with it (proactive/preventative vs. reactive/procrastinative) will define how well/badly this experience will go.

If you can find one, get a GTB!

12. TK 328

TK 328 Karting

Dec 24, 2006
    Perth West Australia
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Buy a good one, don't go cheap on it, get it checked!!! don't buy on emotion, and the three most important things.....Drive it, Drive it and Drive it!!! It is the best car I have ever driven but its a whole lot more than just a car. Had mine two years and every drive is still awesome. Only had an oil change and new reed valves. It had a major belts fluids etc when I bought her. Just the best!!!

13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #38 308 GTB, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  14. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    First, a thank you for all of the replies, they are much appreciated.

I'm still having a problem pulling the trigger, but I'm much better equiped to see both the upside and possible downsides of the 328 (mostly unknown repair costs).

I found a 2006 Porsce Cayman S for sale locally, and thought - "Hey, this is the same price as the Ferrari, 20 years newer and has all the toys." Every single one of those thoughts is accurate, but in 20 years the Cayman will be a footnote in history, I'll be almost 80 and still saying: "Maybe it's time for a Ferrari."

The head says the Cayman is a better value, the heart says the Ferrari will make me forget the stats and smile all day long. Yes, I can drive the Cayman daily, but with a 10 mile commute to the office in traffic how much fun will that really be? And when the weather is perfect, and I want to enjoy both my wife's company and a fine ride, what else can compare with a Ferrari GTS?

So, if I pay $50K to an independent high quality dealer to get me the car, and if it falls $15K in value in five years, so be it. If the maintanence costs add another $15K over the same five years, that's $500 a month total cost to drive what I've always wanted. It's beginning to dawn on me that the greatest cost of a Ferrari isn't the ownership costs, it's the cost of not owning one.

So all I need is a little more encouragement.

Thanks again.

15. J Ingram

J Ingram Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2006
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Jesse Ingram
    I had a very nice '86, red/tan GTS and loved every minute of it. As a matter of fact, it was my daily driver for about a year until I got an everyday car. I, of course, had my mechanic check it out every 3000 miles and change the oil by choice, so it was always perfect. Go for it and I promise you will not regret it after the initial fears and unfamiliarity wears off. The greatest feeling was the 1st drive home from the previous owner's house on the freeway having just bought my Ferrari. I can remember it like it was yesterday and you will never forget it either.

16. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    That Cayman will be a $20k car in a few years. That's not going to happen with the Ferrari. Do it! You'll be glad you did. :)

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Listen to this man. Most of us pulled the trigger once or twice. Gus is like our resident machine gunner. :)

I would agree that a new-ish Porsche Cayman is a poor value. The best values in Porsche are probably the 3.2 litre 911s, which had the build quality, decent power, classic 911 looks, the original Porsche sound, and have zero depreciation left.

But, in either case, there's just a night and day difference. I parked next to a yellow Cayman yesterday when I was out for lunch, and as good a car as it is, it just looked like a juvenile piece of plastic in comparison to the Ferrari 328. The only comparable option to the 328 is the Testarossa, and there you're in for some potentially wallet-crushing service costs, as well as a car that's less manageable in around-town driving.

It's your choice. You can spend it on depreciation, or on parts in little yellow boxes with black horsies. And there's a fair chance the latter will be cheaper -- something the general public simply doesn't understand. Just remember, no warranty, so buy a really good 328 and have a Ferrari tech you trust ready to check it out and service it right.

18. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It probably won't fall $15K in five years, unless you pile on the kilometers. If I had to guess, I'd say my 328 would probably sell for $5K more than when I bought it (and I paid retail). Factor in major service costs and I'm behind, but not by much. And, more importantly, if you're a hardcore car guy you'll always wonder. (And I say this as a former and future Porsche owner.)

19. anxpert

anxpert Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Oceanside, CA
    Full Name:
    Enrique Mar
    Grew up and got older driving Porsches ..... I also had that " should I buy the logical car, or the Ferrari ", two years ago I bought the Ferrari, a 1986 328 GTS Black on Black with 47,000 miles . I believe I got a good deal, as I paid $39,000.00 for the car and spent another $7,500.00 on the 50K service and new clutch, and ended up with a car under 50K that I knew was up to date on everything .

The Ferrari ownership experience, though an entry level 328 has been one of the most satisfying experiences in my life.

The 328 is one of those cars that you look forward to getting in and just driving anywhere, I've recently purchased a 355, and while it is a fantastic car, I am always on guard as to what can or will go wrong with the car. In two years of driving the 328 almost daily " 0 " issues. In two months of 355 ownership .... ( 30K Service, Rear Shock Actuator,Convertible top issues ) ... now this doesn't mean I dislike the 355 " I love it ", but it hopefully will give you a perspective on a relatively new Ferrari owner and the experience and confidence in Ferraris and the 328.

The best part of all of this ... when the 355 is " under the weather " I get into the 328 and just go !

Like wine tasting, I am looking forward to enjoying other Ferraris .... but, one thing is for sure the 328 will always have it's spot in my garage !

20. lencap

lencap Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    I love this forum. Lots of encouraging, friendly people. Thanks.

OK, a question. If I buy a $50K 328, well documented service history with up to date services and no problems, and I use it as a daily driver, commuting 10-12K miles yearly, what can I expect it will cost to maintain over a three-five year span? How about residual value - I understand that cars with 80K plus miles are very hard to resell and are priced accordingly.

The idea of a daily driver may be a bit far fetched, but I only commute 30 miles to the office round trip, and if I have the car of my dreams, why not drive it? So will it cost me $5K a year to maintain, factoring in a major every 2 years, and tires and related costs? Will it fall in value by $20-25K if I add up the miles?

I'm trying to get an idea how much it will cost to keep that smile on my face every day.

By the way, I passed my local BMW dealership today. I can lease a new 328 BMW for $500 a month for three years. If the Ferrari costs anywhere near that, I know which I'd rather drive, but I'm afraid a daily driver will cost closer to $15K a year, including depreciation repairs and upkeep.

Anyone have any experience with this?

By the way, hard as it may be to believe, I own a Prius and I may be able to sell it for what I paid for it almost a year and a half and 17K miles ago. Since the car should have depreciated by $5K or more, I feel I'm ahead putting the money into my dream car.

Thanks again.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #46 Bullfighter, Jun 12, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
    The BMW 3 series is a better daily driver, and servicing is quick and efficient. Based on all of this budgeting and your need for a daily driver, I think you might want to go that way.

If you're keeping the Prius, and don't need a daily driver, then a Ferrari 328 is a great fun sports car to have in the other side of the garage. A 20 year old Ferrari will need servicing and repairs, and you may be without a week at a time. Honestly, I don't see much of a decision between these cars.

22. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have enjoyed this thread and all the millions of others. I'd love some quick opinions on the GTB vs. GTS body. I am leaning toward a GTB although the allure of the targa is hard to pass on by. On aesthetics alone, I do agree that the GTB has that extra smooth line. It seems like the GTS's targa interrupts the flow just a little. Not entirely different like the 911 targa to the coupe - or is it? Is there any difference to the actual shape of the car, windows, etc or is it a visual illusion only?

I have seen the mods to the rear vents over the side glass and they look very nice on the GTS. I have only seen photos of the modification with the targa still on in the photos for some reason. Can you guys post any photos with the mod without the targa in place?

Any other differences visually on the outside of the car?

Why did you select the GTS over the GTB or vice versa? Would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks.

Robb Williamson
    Colorado

23. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #48 Bullfighter, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I like the GTS for the looks, and because it's a great convertible (i.e., no doomed-to-fail power top, and you have some degree of privacy if you don't like people staring at the back of your head at every intersection.) The flat top complements the flat rear deck and spoiler. Driving a GTS with the top off is the classic Ferrari experience (unless you also have a Cal Spyder in the garage...)

If you like how the GTB looks, buy one -- IMHO, GTS's with the cut-out vents and painted tops look a bit "kustom". The rear quarter windows on the factory GTB are less objectionable, and there are fewer GTBs in the States so sometimes you have to grab whatever comes available.

The Porsche 911/914 are unit body cars and really don't do well as targas. They are entirely different cars, except in the lift-out roof concept. The 308/328 are body-on-frame. You will detect some panel shift on cornering, but the guts of the car (drivetrain, suspension) are bolted to the frame, not the body panels. Someone posted here that you lose 10% rigidity, and you will have some squeaks if the targa top seals aren't in good shape. That's going to affect handling at the limits, but the real issues with the 328 from a performance perspective are (a) tiny brakes, (b) modest power and (c) 16" wheels/tires.

Try to have a ride in a GTS before you pass it up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    ....... that 'nero' 328 looks fantastic..... it doesn't get better than that ......... :cool:!!!

25. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Bullfighter,

My issue of Forza on pricing the 328's is old.

What are the current range of 328 prices to expect that are out there on condition and miles?

Please feel free to throw in any commentary on the side.

Thanks.

Robb