Pantano to Jordan for 04 | FerrariChat

Pantano to Jordan for 04

Discussion in 'F1' started by Nuvolari, Feb 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Well the grid is set. Giorgio Pantano has signed for Jordan.

2. Trinacria

Trinacria Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Baldassare Guzzo
    I am glad to see that. I didnt even realize he was testing for it. What do you all think?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    no idea, never heard of him

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Andreas;

he drove in F-3000 last year i am not sure but i think he was the champ or one of the contenders for the championship. Just shows how much i watched that race series :D

Rob

5. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    who did you say ?

never heard about him, sorry....

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    He raced in F3000 for three seasons. Never won the Championship but won a lot of races and regularly beat Bourdois (CART) and Thomas Enge (Prost and Ferrari/Prodrive).

Unlike some of the other F3000 runners (Baumgartner and Kiesa), Pantano actually has talent, though at Jordan it won't be apparent.

Baumgartner (also at Jordan) is there because of money. He has NEVER won a race in any formula since 1997. Kiesa, who raced at Minardi last year, at least won a race or two but he came with money.

Pantano was known in F3000 for his blazing speed and daring overtaking. Not always in the best car but if you left the door open an inch he would peel the paint off your car.

In the late 90's he was the Senna of the karting world. He won everything, Italian A Champ, Euro A Champ, World A Champ......

He had a CART drive lined up last year but it fell through at the last moment and he went back to F3000.

He will be an exciting racer to watch if the Jordan is anything more than a yellow Mindardi.

He is also Italian, which is a plus in my book.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Jon. Very interesting. Looking forward to see him race, sounds like a promising talent. Didn't know about Kiesa's and Baumgartner's background either.

Personally I liked Enge, but he was probably not cut for F1? I saw him race at the USGP.

8. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Andreas,

He was a promising talent about two years ago but I think the fact that he spent three seasons in F3000 and is stuck driving the Jordan will mean he has one season to make an impression and even that doesn't guarantee anything.

I think talent wise he is on par with Justin Wilson (also an F3000 winner) but look where he is now.

Until the global economy starts flowing agains and money is being handed out to teams like winning lottery tickets, talented drivers will sit and watch those with money race.

Baumgartner, has no business in F1 at all. The race where he filled in for Firman, he was off the pace, and he never won a F3000 race, F3 race or any other formula.

Money has always gotten people rides in F1 but it seems nowadays that instead of 1/3 of the grid it's 1/2 the grid.

Will be interesting to see if the Jordan is a lame duck like the past two seasons. I remember Fisi being interviewed right after he announced he was leaving for Sauber and he had such a big grin on his face I thought he would burst out laughing.

It's Ferrari, Williams, and McLaren and the rest get to nibble on the remaining points. BAR, Jaguar, Toyota all make beginning-of-the-year statements like "....this is going to be the breakthrough year......blah, blah, blah........" but in the end there are 6 decent race seats that can win a Championship.

Can you tell I am having F1 withdrawal. Wish the race were this weekend.

Regards,

Jon

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    No doubt.. join the club, i cannot wait till next weekend.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Very interesting point about the economy. Never thought about it, but of course you're right.

I have never been a fan of Jordan. I always thought they were lame ducks. Interlagos was pure luck. They will be at the back end of the field struggling to keep Minardi at bay this year.

The withdrawal is soon over: Already I have to make plans for my first F1 dinner next week: Steaks and Fosters at the Outback. Australian for beer.

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Rob, you're like me. I got into the F3000 races too. When Baumgartner got promoted late last season, my friends were all asking "Who is this guy?! What the hell kind of name is Zsolt?" And the fact that I knew about him was a bit of a shock.

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    After Bruni signed with Minardi and Pantano at Jordan we have now 4 italian drivers.

Fisichella, Trulli, Pantano, Bruni

:)

13. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    F3000 is fun to watch and a few get F1 tryouts every year. As for Zsolt, well I think he will turn out to be another Mazzecanne or Marques. Not short on cash but short on talent or at least the talent to make it in F1.

The guy's to watch this year in F3000 are Vitantonio Luizzi and Christian Montanari. Lauda's son is also racing but he's not the same racer his father was.

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.net