TR 85 shutting off after warm up | FerrariChat

TR 85 shutting off after warm up

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Nick_Fl, Jun 11, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick_Fl

Nick_Fl Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Ok, new issue with my TR. I have the expansion valve replaced (shop took the dashboard out 'cause reverse flushing the valve did not work). On my way home, the car died on me after 10/15 min of driving. Car will start after cooling down for 15/20 min. Went to put fuel yesterday and same thing happen: after 10 min of driving, suddenly the car shut off and will not start until it cools down. Did it severall times on my way back home from the gas station...very frustating.
    Any advice?

Nick

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i have not had a TR yet, just the v8 carb ferrari's, but i dislike seeing a help request with no replies.

sounds to me like something is getting hot and shutting down, perhaps a fuel pump relay or one of the harness connectors for the ECU?

there are some great TR guys here, so i hope they chime in for you.

when its dead, see if you can determine if it has 12V power, fuel, and spark where and when it should. you may need a few tools ( multimeter) in the car to check it when its "dead".

sucks to do this on the side of the road, but it goes with ownership sometimes.

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    'suddenly' infers no sputtering - which makes be think electrical rather than fuel.

other than that point - all one can do is start tracing down issues while it is in the hot/ no start condition.

same old drill - start with spark at the plugs and work upstream. might cheat a bit & go straight to the fuse box & check it's condition. the 'hot', no start condition may be a 'hot' board rather than a hot engine. since both banks are equally and totally affected, the electrical stuff (FI etc) that serves only one bank can likely be eliminated right off the bat.

sorry not to add more, but the E&I stuff is not my expertice... I'd be guessing.

rgds,
    vince

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes definately check out the mother board for any signs of overheating - just like Vincenzo said...it's a good place to start. Pull out the white connectors at the lower part of the fuse panel and look for burned or "brown" connectors for the fuel pump circuits, etc.

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I agree with the above. It must be something related to your dash pull. In a TR, you mainly have wires and connectors, not printed circuit boards. Perhaps something going back to the fuse board is not right.

Please describe how your car shuts down.

Also, try starting your car and run it in the garage for ten minutes or so and see if anything happens. Better doing testing in your garage with all your tools than at the side of the road.

I've seen where a intermittent contact would heat up...expand and break contact.....would cool down and contact resumed.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    sounds like a bad tachometric relay. Its located behined the fuse panel to just to the right. Should be the second last realy.