Buying a 355 | FerrariChat

Buying a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by drodg, May 30, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drodg

drodg Rookie

May 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Dave Rodgers
    Very new to this forum. I have owned 4 911's and I want to buy a 355. I live in the Chicago area and I am wondering who might be in the area to help me buy a car. What are things to look for and any recomendations? Thanks Dave

2. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Try posting in the Midwest Section, also search for 355 pre-purchase, or 355 checklist, I forget which but someone made a good list. The 355 is an amazing car, a true beast. Good luck in the search.

3. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    Dave,
    Welcome to F-Chat. Please fill your profile so the rest of us have an idea to whom we're talking to. There are several F brothers in Chicago (I work in downtown Chicago), so let us know what you need and we're here to help. You can also use the "search" feature and most of your questions are guaranteed to be answered.

4. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Welcome---You came to the right place for answers to anything Ferrari related!!

5. rketex7

rketex7 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    K.C.Y.
    I am in the Milwaukee area, let me know if you need any help. I do currently have a 1999 F355, 6 spds, still debating rather to post it for sale again or not.

6. drodg

drodg Rookie

May 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Dave Rodgers
    I will update my profile. I am in Valparaiso Indiana and I am looking for a 6 speed & non convertible. I am open to traveling to find one. I would appreciate any car referrals sent my way. The one question I have is who does the PPI's? I know in the Porsche arena it is mostly dealers who do them. With Ferrari's and the amount of dealers do you refer to non dealers to do PPI's?

7. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Alot of reputable independent shops do PPI's on Ferrari, not just dealers.. Actually alot of dealers have stopped doing them...

8. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    When you find a car that is worth considering post it on here and ask for PPI recommendations for that area and we will respond, most likely with shops that are not Ferrari franchise's. Happy shopping :)

9. Vegas-Guy

Vegas-Guy Formula 3

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Reg
    Good luck on the search for the 355. Take your time and find the right car.

Oh, Welcome to F-chat...:D

10. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    #10 Dean355, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
    Dave, I live about 15 minutes from you in Crown Point. I have been looking for exactly that: 6spd, Berlinetta. Finally found one an placed a deposit on it. Will have it by June 20th. Let me know what color you're looking for since I have scanned the current market back and forth in detail.

Regarding the PPI, as Cavlino stated, it depends on the area where you spot a car, then we will find a good place for a PPI for you.

11. drodg

drodg Rookie

May 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Dave Rodgers
    I am probably in the market for a red probably yellow is second. I want a coupe. Anything send my way. Thanks Dave

12. Lucho355

Lucho355 Rookie

Aug 7, 2007
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Luciano Garavaglia
    I decide to sell my Ferrari 355 F1 Berlinetta from 1998 , with 29K miles. All services done ( 15K-30K ) . Red and Tan . Original parts adn documents . All the sticky parts were removed and placed new ones. If you are interested please e-mail me to [email protected] or via Ferrari Chat. Price $94K , pics available.

13. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I recommend F355 spider red tan only. If you want to watch your car appreciate in value in the future I would recommend F355 Spider only. Every year when you get an oil change for your car just make sure the mechanic checks out the oil level for the hydraulic top mechanism as well. I have owned my car for 8 years now and always made sure the top was part of my service. Also make sure that the 30k service is done on time. Your car will run like a champ. Lookout for all these cars selling on ebay. Obviously they are on auction because of problems with the cars. Like Headers need to be replaced, 30K service not done, roll back on speedometers, emissions not passed etc. Read the fine print on warranties when you buy from dealers. Sometimes they will give you 6 months warranty make sure you drive the car allot during the 6 months because most problems will occur during these 6 months. Always go to an authorized Ferrari dealer for service.

14. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Holy bat sheit! I have a house in La Porte! When I am next in town (maybe next month) I will contact you guys and maybe we can get together and talk cars. GL on the search.

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Welcome back to 2002! Wow, good luck on that one.

16. tchaic

tchaic Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris M.....
    You think he meant $49K for the car? $94K is insane...

17. tchaic

tchaic Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris M.....
    Not sure I agree with the post on Spyder being the way to go from a financial standpoint. As best I can tell when I was looking for my 355 the ratio of Spyders to Berlinettas was 5:1. Much harder to find a nice 355B in my opinion. Add in lower maint costs, cleaner interior and B is clear winner for me. If you love a convertible go for it but if money is the issue I think the advice is wrong.